ROH packages discontinued

Thank you for the heads up - I wonder if they're considering moving to a more typical subscription model.

I'm a frequent visitor so should in theory have been a good candidate for packages, but they were far too restricted in price range to be of any use for me.

• Like 2

How annoying. Opera packages weren't any use to me, as the seats available were too expensive, but since I've started attending most of the ballets in a season I've booked several packages & the discount was sufficient to bring the front stalls side blocks just about within my budget.

What I'd like to see is something along the lines of the ENO multi-buy package, which offers:

• Save 5% when you book two operas at the same time
  • Save 10% when you book three operas at the same time
  • Save 15% when you book four operas at the same time
  • Save 20% when you book five or more operas at the same time

Presumably this is much simpler to implement with the online check-out system.

• Like 9

3 minutes ago, Lizbie1 said:

What I'd like to see is something along the lines of the ENO multi-buy package, which offers:

• Save 5% when you book two operas at the same time
  • Save 10% when you book three operas at the same time
  • Save 15% when you book four operas at the same time
  • Save 20% when you book five or more operas at the same time

Presumably this is much simpler to implement with the online check-out system.

The Hippodrome is offering something similar for the just announced BRB season.  It's saved me quite a lot of money!

• Like 1

But wasn't there always a multi-buy for BRB, or was that for Friends only?  If it brought the bottom prices to within my range again it might be worth considering.

Oh look: we've managed to divert a thread about the RB onto BRB! :D 

• Like 2

14 minutes ago, alison said:

But wasn't there always a multi-buy for BRB, or was that for Friends only?  If it brought the bottom prices to within my range again it might be worth considering.

Oh look: we've managed to divert a thread about the RB onto BRB! :D 

There were subscription packages pre-pandemic.  These are due to be re-introduced post pandemic.  The current offering is a multi-buy discount offer if you book 3 or 4 different productions (not including Nutcracker).  The discount is available to be booked until 31st May and I don't think it is Friends and previous subscribers only.

Makes a change for thread diversion to be this way around!

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

45 minutes ago, Jan McNulty said:

There were subscription packages pre-pandemic.  These are due to be re-introduced post pandemic.  The current offering is a multi-buy discount offer if you book 3 or 4 different productions (not including Nutcracker).  The discount is available to be booked until 31st May and I don't think it is Friends and previous subscribers only.

Makes a change for thread diversion to be this way around!

I love the BRB subscription system. Last time round before the pandemic, I was attending a BRB performance and walked up to the booking desk and renewed my subscription. Took less than a minute!

• Like 5

21 hours ago, Jan McNulty said:

The Hippodrome is offering something similar for the just announced BRB season.  It's saved me quite a lot of money!

Ditto! In passing, can I also say how impressed I am with BRB's programme from June through to next season - a perfect mixture of old and new, known and unknown, and classical and contemporary.

Surely the most obvious, and simplest, method of rewarding members, however, is simply to give them a fixed percentage off the ticket price. Wouldn't this be the obvious way forward for the Royal Opera House?

• Like 2

One of the useful features about package booking was that it opened for Friends a day or two before Friends booking. There was a better choice of seats and it was a good deal less fraught as an experience - tickets didn't vanish before your eyes as they can do on a busy day.  It's not just the discounts that will be missed.

• Like 5

• 1 month later...

Reviving this thread though I've seen no sign of any news from ROH!

I've been reading my Paris Opera literature - one of the things they do and that ROH might like to try is a subscription for four "core" operas/ballets, sold at a 20% discount and apparently designed to attract non-habitual opera goers (it's called the "discovery subscription"). There are three choices (offering various combinations of Tosca, Magic Flute, Carmen, Boheme, Il Trovatore, Swan Lake and a Bejart programme).

It would be no use for me TBH, but if they were looking to get people into the habit of going, it's not a bad idea.

For what it's worth: the other subscriptions on offer give 5% (for four or five productions) or 10% (for six or more) discounts, plus priority booking and other bits and bobs.

https://www.operadeparis.fr/en/programme-and-tickets/subscriptions

• Like 1

Australian Ballet's subscription model is similar. Of the five Melbourne productions, we can choose either three or five, the price although increasing every year (2022 is 62% more expensive than the same seats in 2016) is lower than buying individual tickets, and we get a varying discount if we choose to buy additional individual tickets (in my case, if I'm able to stay over in Melbourne an extra night, I'll buy a seat for another performance).

For example, Premium band seats for five Melbourne performances bought as a subscription would be AU$1,070 and bought as single tickets would be AU$1,400. I did not splurge on Premium!

Seats are held over year to year, improving within the price category as other subscribers die or decide not to renew. The Sydney subscription model is similar although they only guarantee four productions each year up there.

I have friends who buy four or five subscriptions because they can afford it, they want to see more than one cast, and they want their seats guaranteed.

• Like 2

🤣 this year I chose the cheapest possible: 5 ballets for $225. I was able to spread my payments over four instalments, too, kind of like paying for one ticket at a time.

We only have side aisles in the State Theatre (Melbourne), and I have centre seats all year, halfway back in the balcony (third level), basically the best cheap seat possible. Pair of binoculars, et voilà.

• Like 2