Dancewear for teacher

SplitSoul

Hi everyone

My DD's dance teacher has been totally amazing, and her private lessons always overrun and she never charges extra. I want to get her a nice Xmas present as a thank you.

If you are a teacher, would you like a voucher for dancewear? Or do you have your favourite cosy stuff and don't want anything too fancy/expensive?

What shop does nice stuff that teachers would want to wear? She normally wears leggings and a tight top and she has a separate see through skirt thing she sometimes puts on. I noticed her ballet shoes have a hole in.

Or should I just do John Lewis?

TIA

I am a dance teacher who also still dances. A dancewear voucher would be so exciting! Just Ballet UK do vouchers and have an amazing range. Otherwise, a Sweaty Betty voucher would go down well I imagine! I would like to add though, that for any teacher, a heartfelt card from the child is worth a million times more than any gift ☺️

• Like 3

On 24/11/2021 at 23:48, HopelessMummy said:

Nice bottle of gin is always appreciated

I’ve always been uncomfortable with dance teachers/ educators being gifted with alcohol. 
Would you really buy your child’s school teacher alcohol? 
Alcohol is after all a controlled substance, what message is that sending to your children?

Something to consider. 

24 minutes ago, CMcBallet said:

I’ve always been uncomfortable with dance teachers/ educators being gifted with alcohol. 
Alcohol is after all a controlled substance, what message is that sending to your children?

Something to consider. 

I’m a teacher and have bought my children’s teachers alcohol but only if I know them really well and know they would appreciate it. Bottles of wine are a very normal Christmas/end of year gift for school teachers. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, CMcBallet said:

Something to consider. 

It was just a suggestion. Ultimately it's a personal choice, dependent on the person giving the gift, how well they know the recipient, etc. 

Edited by HopelessMummy
Missing a comma!

I try to avoid alcohol. I don't drink much myself and find it a "lazy" gift. Don't get me wrong, I sometimes resort to giving a bottle because I can't think of anything better and in the case of one friend, she genuinely is into weird and wonderful gins, so I do get her a bottle!

The idea with this gift is partly to compensate the teacher for all the extra lesson time that she doesn't/won't charge me for. So I feel like a voucher comes close enough to payment but without insulting her.

Thanks everyone for taking the time to read and reply!

• Like 1

I’ve never tried an aperol spritz but would be happy to sample it if a friend was kind enough! I don’t drink much but alcohol keeps so never a problem for me to receive it as a gift. I wouldn’t give it to someone I didn’t know well for fear that they are an ex-alcoholic or have religious or other beliefs

• Like 1

On 29/11/2021 at 09:16, Jan McNulty said:

Oh dear.  There was me thinking I was being thoughtful buying the "makings" for Aperol Spritz for a friend for Christmas (because she likes it!).

Oh no, I didn't mean to offend! It can be a thoughtful gift, of course. 

Teacher Christmas gifts….always brings a smile on my face. My hubby is a teacher (not dance) and really appreciates nice bottle of wine. It does not mean he would drink it on his own and turns into alcoholic…it would sit in our storage until nice food is made so we can all share it.

Much better than key rings, mugs, shower gels or a toaster (this always makes me laugh). Chocolates he leaves in the staff room for the ladies, but wine he always brings home.

Now to the point. When it came to ballet teachers, we always gifted homemade Christmas cookies we have made and decorated. We have used Christmas themed cutters, then I bought very nice tin and personalised card that my daughter signed and wrote something nice and personal.

One year we have been feeling crafty and we’ve made beautiful felt stuffed Christmas tree decorations. We tried to use stencils from ballet such as Alice, Nutcracker etc. This was also very well received by the teachers. For the females we have added it into our cookie box and for the male choreographer, we have hanged it onto bottle.

The following year we have gifted personalised year planner. A5 size planner with lovely cover that said teacher’s name. It was not too expensive if ordered in advance when you get deals from companies that do personalised items.

I am trying to stay away from vouchers or clothing. Voucher we used to give as a class at the end of the year where we collected money and gave it to the teacher so he/she can spend it on whatever is needed.