Tears of a Ballet Mum - Book

Sim

Hi everyone.  I haven't read this book yet as it hasn't been published, but it looks very interesting and a 'must read' for both parents and dancing children, just to give an idea of what might lie ahead. I have posted this in Doing Dance, but I think it will be of wider interest.

It is written by Sabine Naghdi, mother of Royal Ballet Principal Yasmine Naghdi.  As if that weren't already enough of an enticement, some of the photos featured in the book are by our very own Dave Morgan!  This could make a very nice Christmas present...see below for more info:

"Tears of a Ballet Mum" is a candid memoir and opens a fascinating window on the emotive journey of a ballet mum: the mother of Yasmine Naghdi, Principal ballerina of The Royal Ballet.

She presents a unique perspective, not only on her initial doubts and hesitation prior to her twelve-year-old daughter commencing her classical ballet training at The Royal Ballet School, she also offers a great insight into what it takes to support a talented child throughout the training years, how to deal with various mental challenges and building mental strength, taking ownership of the training, and ensuring overall mental well-being. When her daughter was about to give it all up at the age of sixteen, she ensured her crisis turned into a victory. 

She takes the reader through thirteen chapters from "Her dream was never mine", "Firstly, let's talk about the ballet mum", "Can talent can be spotted?", "What led her to The Royal Ballet School?", "A year as a Junior Associate", "Training at the Lower School: her White Lodge years", "A make or a break year? A year of crisis", "Seven months in the Graduate Year", "From corps de ballet to first soloist", "Life as a Principal ballerina", "And down came the curtains at the Royal Opera House", "The end of my journey", 

to "A tete-a-tete with my daughter".

260 pages with over 70 private, backstage, and performance colour photos.

U.K. Publication Date: 9th December

Signed copies available to pre-order via Shopify 

Delivery: from 1st December onwards from  https://tears-of-a-ballet-mum.myshopify.com/products/tears-of-a-ballet-mum

• Like 4

Yes I hadn’t realised this until too late on Friday!! Though as I was back row of the Balcony there’s a sort of small passageway behind those seats where you can put coat and bag so wasn’t so bad but am relieved the cloakrooms are now open as just got my very bulky winter coat out for the first time today as there’s a very cold wind here for the first time this Autumn/Winter. 
It’s been amazing to get this far in November with just a light jacket! 
Im in the Covent Garden area at least once a week whether going to the Ballet or not so is easy for me to just pop in to ROH shop but then you’ve still got to carry anything you buy home I suppose! 
I definitely want to read this one but would be a great present for any teen going through vocational training by the sound of it. 

• Like 1

Yes you are probably not supposed to put things there but I was on the end of a row and it doesn’t look like an official passage way. It would have been no trouble to move my things out of the way if needed! 
Anyway now the cloakrooms are back in use I won’t need to have my things bundled up on the floor any more! 

Edited by LinMM
  • Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Book signing event at Covent Garden Bloch this Saturday ( 11 Dec)  https://www.instagram.com/p/CXMJU4ut5Fk/

London dance lovers! 🇬🇧 How would you like to get up close & personal with Principal Dancer @yasmine_naghdi and hear her mum's unique perspective on having a daughter become a professional ballerina, in her new book titled 'Tears of a Ballet Mum'? Join Yasmine & Sabine at our Covent Garden store this Saturday at 10:30-11:00, where they will be reading excerpts, answering your questions and signing purchased copies.

To register your attendance, please send an email to: socialmedia@blochworld.com and let us know how many people will be attending with you.

All attendees will be required to show a negative lateral flow test result upon arrival.

Edited by oncnp

31 minutes ago, RHowarth said:

When did you get it, Dave? I'd better chase mine up!

I must have been in the first batch - they have been posting out some (to contributors for example) from Monday/Tuesday - but the official release date not until tomorrow, so I imagine most will be either posted to arrive tomorrow (the 9th) or be posted then, so arrive in a day or two after that.

• Like 2

30 minutes ago, art_enthusiast said:

Just wondering if anyone can recommend any other good ballet biographies/autobiographies? I read Rudolf Nureyev: The Life recently (by Julie Kavanagh) and found it extremely detailed and interesting.

There is a whole thread somewhere about ballet books, but sadly I haven't got time to search for it now.  Perhaps if you do a search, or if another kind person who isn't supposed to be working can find it, you will see many good recommendations there.  :)