Ballet Boost Associates (Hull)

DanceMamma

Hi there, 

I’ve been browsing this site for a few weeks and decided it was time to join and ask my own question. A simple one I hope? 

I couldn’t see anything recent about Ballet Boost, specifically the Hull centre. I’ve heard really good things. DD has recently submitted an audition video and I wondered if anyone knew when we might hear back? And how they place them in groups, is it by age or ability - I’m not sure if DDs video was that great but I’m hoping it’s enough to get her a place. Or is it really competitive and difficult to get in? 

Thank you!

Hello DD is in BB in Hull. She really enjoys it. We submitted an audition video last year and heard within a few weeks although a friend heard much sooner. We were

told of a place but didn’t hear about which class until after the audition deadline. I think from the deadline it was about a week and the current associates heard about their classes a couple of days before. 

The classes are on ability I think but age also plays a part. DD is in lower mids and is in yr 5 at school and the class has a mix of year 5, 6 and 7 with some already on pointe. 

DD has a year 6 friend in upper mid. 

The lower mid class is 2hrs 45 mins long and they don’t get a break as such, I think juniors is 2hrs 15. 

The class compliments her regular classes and other associates. DD does more advanced stuff in BB than she does in her exam classes but with her current teacher it’s not as back to basic technique focussed as her other associate class. 

Hope this helps. 

Good luck. 

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, SJBallet said:

Hello DD is in BB in Hull. She really enjoys it. We submitted an audition video last year and heard within a few weeks although a friend heard much sooner. We were

told of a place but didn’t hear about which class until after the audition deadline. I think from the deadline it was about a week and the current associates heard about their classes a couple of days before. 

The classes are on ability I think but age also plays a part. DD is in lower mids and is in yr 5 at school and the class has a mix of year 5, 6 and 7 with some already on pointe. 

DD has a year 6 friend in upper mid. 

The lower mid class is 2hrs 45 mins long and they don’t get a break as such, I think juniors is 2hrs 15. 

The class compliments her regular classes and other associates. DD does more advanced stuff in BB than she does in her exam classes but with her current teacher it’s not as back to basic technique focussed as her other associate class. 

Hope this helps. 

Good luck. 

That is incredibly helpful, thank you! DD is 11, not on pointe yet but doing RAD inter foundation and prepointe. It’s only been a week since I sent the video so I’ll be patient! 

1 minute ago, DanceMamma said:

That is incredibly helpful, thank you! DD is 11, not on pointe yet but doing RAD inter foundation and prepointe. It’s only been a week since I sent the video so I’ll be patient! 

You’re very welcome, I hope you hear soon. 

The lower mids class have been asked to bring in pointe shoes and soft blochs if they have them (DD is very jealous she doesn’t have either yet) but haven’t used them yet. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, SJBallet said:

You’re very welcome, I hope you hear soon. 

The lower mids class have been asked to bring in pointe shoes and soft blochs if they have them (DD is very jealous she doesn’t have either yet) but haven’t used them yet. 

Thank you, DD is hoping to be on pointe September/December but in no rush thank goodness! 

Hi my DD is a junior associate here, she really enjoys the classes. We haven't yet heard about levels from September though the assessments were done a while back so I guess they will need to decide that 1st so that they know how many places they have in each class. Good luck x

• Like 1

My DD started in London in Sept. We heard very quickly after submitting the video but others took longer. The class is by ability and it is quite challenging which she loves as such a contrast to her other associates class. I have nothing but good things to say about the programme. She has had a couple of different teachers and they have all been brilliant. Over Zoom they brought in guests to teach some dances from shows and do q&a and they were all so informative and encouraging. Emma hosted a chat over Zoom which was also so helpful and lovely. I've not known an organisation that works so hard to overcome problems (thinking of all the spanners that covid threw in the works, they just kept adapting and changing).

DD is off to Vocational school this Sept and we will be so sad to say goodbye to Ballet Boost even after such a short time.

• Like 4

My DD isn’t at the Hull centre she attends in Devon.  We applied last year during lockdown and heard back very quickly.  I have been so impressed with the scheme and my DD has loved every moment.  They were so accommodating during lockdown when online lessons clashed with my DDs other associate class and let her join another group from another centre. Like others have said the classes are more challenging than other associate classes but classes are usually assigned on ability so most in the class are at the same level.  My DD off to vocational school as well in September so won’t be continuing but I would really recommend.  Good luck to your DD x

Edited by Ballet Dreams
  • Like 1

Hi. My DD has also been attending BB in Hull in the Juniors. She is Y4 and auditioned last year in lockdown via video. We have been so impressed despite the majority of it being via zoom at no fault of their own and they have tried to make the zoom more fun by bringing in guest teachers who have taught choreography from different shows they’ve been in. Her teacher Miss Victoria is fantastic and i think the girls are in awe of her as she still dances professionally. We would highly recommend also. 

• Like 1

Completely agree with all the above. We’ve been at the Stoke centre and it’s been wonderful. DD is also off to full time training in September and BB were a major factor in this. The classes are great and the advice is great: a real breath of fresh air. There’s a strong focus on long term, careful development and looking at the potential in every child above and beyond fixed physical attributes (which may screen them out of other associate schemes or full time courses) or where they are now in terms of training. 

• Like 2

49 minutes ago, Whiteduvet said:

Completely agree with all the above. We’ve been at the Stoke centre and it’s been wonderful. DD is also off to full time training in September and BB were a major factor in this. The classes are great and the advice is great: a real breath of fresh air. There’s a strong focus on long term, careful development and looking at the potential in every child above and beyond fixed physical attributes (which may screen them out of other associate schemes or full time courses) or where they are now in terms of training. 

@Whiteduvetwhen you say BB had a big part to play in gaining a full time vocational place, do you mean just the associate classes in general or did you contact them for specific advice in relation to your DD and her aspirations?

• Like 1

Both. The training at the classes helped her decide it was what she wanted to do full time. And then her teacher and Emma (the head) gave us some really great advice about the best school for her (based not just on her dancing but also her personality) and how to prepare for the auditions. I found this openness really helpful in comparison to the other associate schemes she was doing which haven’t been anything like as clear in terms of feedback. 

• Like 2

Just now, Whiteduvet said:

Both. The training at the classes helped her decide it was what she wanted to do full time. And then her teacher and Emma (the head) gave us some really great advice about the best school for her (based not just on her dancing but also her personality) and how to prepare for the auditions. I found this openness really helpful in comparison to the other associate schemes she was doing which haven’t been anything like as clear in terms of feedback. 

Oh that’s fab. Sorry for being so nosy but did you approach them for help? We haven’t actually met Emma due to lockdown but would love to ask her advice. 

• Like 1

I would also like to say how impressed I have been with Ballet Boost associates. My DD attends one of the Junior Associate classes (not London) and couldn't be more pleased. The quality of teaching has been great, in-person and on zoom. I was also really impressed with the information for parents and children regarding the annual assessment and how supportive they have been. 

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, Mildred72 said:

Hi, just wondering if anyone else has not heard from Hull Ballet boost? I had 6 audition and 4 heard on Saturday but 2 are still yet to hear.

We’ve not heard anything yet. I’m not convinced my DD will get a spot though as our video was very last minute! Did the 4 that have heard get a yes?

Thanks for the replies. Yes all 4 were given a place, although the 2 that haven't heard are slightly older.

Our videos were quite last minute too as we waited to be back in the studio before filming them.

Edited by Mildred72

1 hour ago, Mildred72 said:

Thanks for the replies. Yes all 4 were given a place, although the 2 that haven't heard are slightly older.

My DD is 11, RAD inter found level in local class. I’m not sure what class she’d be placed in but I’m guessing maybe not the lowest group? Perhaps they’re still deciding on the Mids? I guess there are fewer spots? 

1 hour ago, DanceMamma said:

My DD is 11, RAD inter found level in local class. I’m not sure what class she’d be placed in but I’m guessing maybe not the lowest group? Perhaps they’re still deciding on the Mids? I guess there are fewer spots? 

My 2 are both year 7 & inter foundation too. The ones that have got a yes have been placed in lower mids and are grade 2 & 3

Edited by Mildred72
  • Like 1

In case it's useful info - my DD does BBA London and is yr 7 and IF. She's in Mid 3B currently (don't have groups for next year as not assessed yet), which probably corresponds to Upper Mids in Hull?

Edited by Horsellian
Typo

That’s good to know. I’m still not sure if she’ll get a spot though, it was Avery cobbled together video and her photos weren’t great! I had assumed lower mid if she got a place but I didn’t really know the levelling. Hopefully we’ll find out soon. It’s definitely something we’ll look at again next year, with a bit more prep! 😂