Press Release: Marion Tait to step down as Assistant Director of Birmingham Royal Ballet

QlJCIGxvZ28uanBn

Marion Tait to step down as Assistant Director of Birmingham Royal Ballet

Marion-Tait-photo-Andrew-Ross.thumb.jpg.60983b57b67832e27d7e5a6dd4974fc6.jpg

Photo credit:  Andrew Ross

Marion Tait CBE will step down from her role as Assistant Director of Birmingham Royal Ballet on 31 December 2020.

Marion will still be very much part of the Birmingham Royal Ballet family and, from January, will be working part time, rehearsing and coaching the Company dancers, continuing to impart her years of skill and wisdom.

Marion said: The present situation with Covid-19, has made it impossible for me to fulfil such a crucial role at Birmingham Royal Ballet at this very important time in its history.  I would have loved to have carried on supporting Carlos in his exciting vision for the Company and, in a way, I will, as I continue to rehearse and coach the dancers and try to be as useful to the Company as I can! I shall still feel part of the Birmingham Royal Ballet family, which is something I am proud to be. 

Born in London, Marion joined the Royal Ballet touring company (now Birmingham Royal Ballet) at just 17, rising to the rank of Principal and dancing the lead ballerina roles in all the classics. 

In 1995 she became Birmingham Royal Ballet's Ballet Mistress, and for many years has taught and rehearsed the Company. Until recently she performed character roles such as a scene-stealing Carabosse in The Sleeping Beauty and The Wicked Stepmother in David Bintley’s Cinderella, which was created for her in 2010.

She was made an OBE in 1992 and a CBE in the 2003 Queen's Birthday Honours list. Marion has twice been nominated for Olivier Awards (Juliet in Romeo and Juliet, 1994, and Hagar in Pillar of Fire, 1995), was named Dancer of the Year 1994 and that same year also received the Evening Standard Ballet Award for Outstanding Performance. Most recently she was awarded the De Valois Award for Outstanding Achievement 2019 by the Critics Circle National Dance Awards. Marion is Patron of The Edge arts centre in Solihull. 

Marion assisted Desmond Kelly in directing Birmingham Royal Ballet's artistic team for Ballet Changed My Life - Ballet Hoo!, the education project documented on Channel 4 during September and October 2006, for which she was presented with a special award at the Critics' Circle National Dance Awards in 2008. 

It's impossible to exaggerate what an important contribution Marion made to SWRB and later BRB. An amazing dramatic dancer with great theatrical presence, no matter what role she was playing. Several years ago I read through 9 years of Dance and Dancers, from late '60s, for some research I was doing on the company that is now Northern Ballet. Of the many patterns of British ballet that I noticed, the most marked was how frequently Marion's performances, in a wide variety of roles, were highly praised. I am convinced that the rich repertory that her company used to boast was partly due to her compelling acting ability so that important dramatic works by Tudor and de Mille were introduced (will we see works by either of these great choreographers on the British stage again?).

As a company coach and assistant director she helped to hold the company together by supporting the director when he had other commitments. BRB is a strong family and Marion's warmth and commitment to the company, her dancers and to fans (she invariably acknowledged you as a friend, unlike others) have been fundamental to that culture.

She will be greatly missed.

• Like 9

When I saw the announcement, my heart sank, so I'm very glad she's going to remain associated with the company.  I guess Covid must be making it very difficult for a number of former dancers to contribute in the way they used to :(

• Like 4

4 hours ago, SheilaC said:

It's impossible to exaggerate what an important contribution Marion made to SWRB and later BRB. An amazing dramatic dancer with great theatrical presence, no matter what role she was playing. Several years ago I read through 9 years of Dance and Dancers, from late '60s, for some research I was doing on the company that is now Northern Ballet. Of the many patterns of British ballet that I noticed, the most marked was how frequently Marion's performances, in a wide variety of roles, were highly praised. I am convinced that the rich repertory that her company used to boast was partly due to her compelling acting ability so that important dramatic works by Tudor and de Mille were introduced (will we see works by either of these great choreographers on the British stage again?).

As a company coach and assistant director she helped to hold the company together by supporting the director when he had other commitments. BRB is a strong family and Marion's warmth and commitment to the company, her dancers and to fans (she invariably acknowledged you as a friend, unlike others) have been fundamental to that culture.

She will be greatly missed.

Hear, hear Sheila

9 minutes ago, Two Pigeons said:

P.s.  Please make her a Dame before she does leave.  No one has done more for ballet going throughout the British Isles.

A friend and I were saying exactly the same thing last night.  She should have been "Damed" years ago.

• Like 2

I have so many happy memories of seeing her dance over the years. She was one of the first dancers I saw in the role of Odette/Odile. She was a versatile dancer with  so many roles she could do well -Lise, Aurora, Juliet, Tatiana. I loved her graceful lilac fairy in Sir Peter Wright’s production (minus the tutu). She made a wonderful Lady Capulet and a truly wicked Carabosse. Her move with Sadler Wells to Birmingham was a testament to her faith in Madam and her director. She has been a wonderful champion for the company and a dame-hood would be a fitting reward for such a talented, hardworking and selfless woman.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, capybara said:

I hope I’m mistaken in this case but it’s usually the ‘people at the top’ who get the top honours.

Yes; but she has been acting director, and Ballet Hoo was such a unique and socially valuable project, so maybe those factors in addition to all the others will lead someone to have the imagination to see that she is indeed deserving of this recognition.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, bridiem said:

Yes; but she has been acting director, and Ballet Hoo was such a unique and socially valuable project, so maybe those factors in addition to all the others will lead someone to have the imagination to see that she is indeed deserving of this recognition.

Good points, bridiem.

I think it would help if those of us who feel strongly about this were to write in and do it soon.

• Like 1