Royal Danish Ballet Napoli livestream

I do hope all these purveyors of goodies will spread them out a bit and not bunch them all together at the beginning.  We're likely to be in this situation for weeks, and it would be a shame if you were having to try and watch 2 at once because of scheduling clashes, especially if supplies run out in a few weeks.  Like with the Met Opera: it's great that they're doing a week's worth, but I might not want actually to watch opera 7 days running!

• Like 2

Thank you @toursenlair

Interesting to see this controversial updated production by Nikolaj Hubbe.  Much of the Bournonville choreography in Act 2 is gone, along with the original music replaced by a very modern score and new choreography by Hubbe. There is much comic business in Act 1 which seems very unfunny these days and possibly some of the original choreography has been cut in Act 1. But Act 3 seems to be intact.

This is the first time I've seen Alban Lendorf dance. Wow.

3 hours ago, stucha said:

Thank you @toursenlair

Interesting to see this controversial updated production by Nikolaj Hubbe.  Much of the Bournonville choreography in Act 2 is gone, along with the original music replaced by a very modern score and new choreography by Hubbe. There is much comic business in Act 1 which seems very unfunny these days and possibly some of the original choreography has been cut in Act 1. But Act 3 seems to be intact.

This is the first time I've seen Alban Lendorf dance. Wow.

Actually the traditional Act II choreo wasn't Bournonville either.

• Like 1

What a joy to watch this today, especially joy seems in somewhat short supply at the moment. Act 3 is fabulous and just a feast of wonderful Bournonville choreography. Alban Lendorf - what a dancer. I remember seeing him guest with ENB but here he seems so natural and of course he has technique in spades.  Toursenlair - many thanks for the link! 

• Like 1

12 hours ago, toursenlair said:

Actually the traditional Act II choreo wasn't Bournonville either.

I decided to look into this myself.

It's interesting how this choreo came to be thought of as 'traditional' when in fact it was not the original Bournonville!

It seems that the original  Bournonville choreography for Act 2 was reset in the early 80s by Kirsten Ralov one time dancer and associate director of the Royal Danish Ballet till 1986. In the credits of the video below, she is not listed as choreographer alongside Bournonville but rather as Director.

How different it is from the original is hard to know.

For those interested the 1986 version can be viewed here.  Something else to watch in this period of deprivation.

Edited by stucha
  • Like 1

Thanks for this, stucha.  The primary difference for me between the two was in the actual filming.  I don't know about anyone else but I found the constant pull to close ups in the contemporary one most distracting.  It so distracts from the charming line of the dance.  

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Bruce Wall said:

Thanks for this, stucha.  The primary difference for me between the two was in the actual filming.  I don't know about anyone else but I found the constant pull to close ups in the contemporary one most distracting.  It so distracts from the charming line of the dance.  

Completely agree re close ups being distracting.  It was also unnecessary. The dancing was wonderful and should have been the main focus.

Edited by stucha
  • Like 2

Bournonville's choreography was long gone by the time Kirsten Ralov made her version - his original version was not popular (too much dancing and not enough story?) and was gradually dropped till only a few minutes remained. Harald Lander, and later Hans Brenaa, worked on it before Kirsten Ralov, and the version shown at the 2005 Festival was by Dinna Bjørn. The current choreography is by Hubbe and Silja Schandorff - I once asked Hubbe about it (on the record) and he said they were just trying to tell the story - 'just steps' - though I actually quite like it and it reminded me in places of Ondine, though Hubbe said he'd never seen that. 

Also they've changed Act 3 several times since this version was new, for the better in some cases but not always.

Edited by Jane S
  • Like 2

34 minutes ago, Jane S said:

Bournonville's choreography was long gone by the time Kirsten Ralov made her version - his original version was not popular (too much dancing and not enough story?) and was gradually dropped till only a few minutes remained. Harald Lander, and later Hans Brenaa, worked on it before Kirsten Ralov, and the version shown at the 2005 Festival was by Dinna Bjørn. The current choreography is by Hubbe and Silja Schandorff - I once asked Hubbe about it (on the record) and he said they were just trying to tell the story - 'just steps' - though I actually quite like it and it reminded me in places of Ondine, though Hubbe said he'd never seen that. 

Also they've changed Act 3 several times since this version was new, for the better in some cases but not always.

Thanks Jane. Very interesting. I was hoping you might throw some light on the subject. 

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Bruce Wall said:

I actually can't bear to watch the recent one (I have it on DVD) because of the camera work

• Like 1

Thank you for the posting and the comments. I enjoyed act 1 and thought it was funny, Act 2 was time I will never get back and Act 3 was pure joy. The only down side was the filming. Looking forward to watching the Danish Ballet one soon.

2 hours ago, Janite said:

. Looking forward to watching the Danish Ballet one soon.

This IS the Royal Danish Ballet.

I have seen this production live and actually really enjoyed Act 2. I haven't watched it on my DVD because after trying to watch the Tarantella I gave up because of the annoying camerawork

• Like 1

This topic has got me sorting through DVD's and I have both versions, am going to watch Act 2 of the earlier one tonight, can't remember it, but I do quite like the new Hubbe one, nothing like Napoli apart from the story but I just enjoy the different music and choreography. I agree that the camera work for the other Acts is very irritating, those constant facial expressions instead of the dancing!

Edited by Beryl H