Ballet4Boyz

Hi all,  

I'm just trying to do some financial calculations and would appreciate any information on accommodation costs regarding upper schools. I'm interested in general costs of accommodation in Chester with regard to attending The Hammond and also Manchester with regard to attending the Northern Ballet School. I'm looking at all options ranging from student halls of residence to flat shares and bed sits. Any information from students/parents/guardians with knowledge of these schools would be fantastic.

When dd was a yr 12 student at The Hammond 2 years ago, students had to live with host families. We paid (I think) £130 a week which included breakfast and dinner although hosts were v kind and allowed the students to use food in the fridges to make packed lunches too. All washing and ironing and room cleaning/bed changing  was done for dd. In yr 13 and 14 dd shared a house on a room rental basis - we currently pay about £325 pcm, with electricity/gas bills and food on top. I’m sure that the accommodation manager at school would be able to provide more details if you make contact. Please message me if I can give you any more information. 

• Like 1

Dd is in host family accommodation at Hammond.  Currently paying £130 per week too.  There are some students in her year who were over 18 when they started and they were able to apply to Tramways https://www.studentroost.co.uk/locations/chester/tramways 

My dd is now starting to look for a shared house for next year.  

• Like 1

Most of the NBS pupils stay on Accomdation provided by UniteStudents. About a 4/6min walk from the school. Flats vary in size (amount of bedrooms) communal living room/kitchen space per flat . Many offer bedrooms with en-suite shower rooms or smaller flats provide shared bathrooms. Each flat is allocated for NBS but the overall building houses uni students. Staff are fantastic and very caring especially when students are unwell and conduct ‘welfare checks’   Prices vary depending on flat size. Average is about £146pw. Incl all heating water electric WiFi and an ad hoc cleaning of communal living room/kitchens. Laundry washers and driers are in the basement. Students download the Unite App and add credit to their laundry. All machine operate using a smart phone. No cash.  Apologises can’t recall how much each wash is. Even though I’ve done enough of them when I’m there!! 😂. The pupils tend to double up share a load once a week as the machines are commercial size. As well as their overall general dislike of domesticated jobs. 😉

20 hours ago, Ballet4Boyz said:

Hi all,  

I'm just trying to do some financial calculations and would appreciate any information on accommodation costs regarding upper schools. I'm interested in general costs of accommodation in Chester with regard to attending The Hammond and also Manchester with regard to attending the Northern Ballet School. I'm looking at all options ranging from student halls of residence to flat shares and bed sits. Any information from students/parents/guardians with knowledge of these schools would be fantastic.

The app also provides updates incl parcel delivery and maintenance requests. Unite also offer 24/7 maintenance and security with reception covered 8am-6pm approx. Additional costs really relate to food. Aldi at the Arndale is popular but about a good 15/20min walk away. Asda is walkable but requires a taxi ride back once laden down with shopping. Plenty of other ‘express’ stores around. Incl numerous chemists. Plenty of GP’s also in the area with a walk in centre about 8mins away in the A&E dept. 
Travel costs are negligible as the pupils are within walking distance of everything. Pupils that haven’t already do acquire a Student Rail Card in the 3rd and final year to reduce travel costs for auditions especially those in London even though many are held in house. 

1st yr pupils can apply singly and the Unitestudent Staff will place them all in one flat or pupils in other years who have applied at ‘EarlyBird’ rates but maybe have a bedroom unallocated will have a 1st yr join them. Boys and girls can be mixed but generally only if the rooms are en-suite. 
ie This yr one 6bed flat has :-

4x2nd yr pupils and 

2x 1st yr international pupils. 

Previous yr the 5bed flat was all 1st yrs. 

Initial costs to set up require a deposit (returnable at the end of rental that can be transferred from one yr to the next so refund is at the end of 3rd yr). 
They do provide furniture for living room and bedrooms. 
Also Cooker fridge microwave toaster and kettle. Everything else the pupils have to provide for themselves.

Staff replace furniture items and white goods when ever required. Incl the odd lumpy mattress. Very helpful. 

At the end of the summer term it’s the big pack up. As they all move flats each Sept. maintenance and summer students take over during Jul/Aug. There are multiple companies that offer survival rates for two month student storage. At an additional charge will even collect and return their belongings in-time for the new term. A service invaluable as it avoids having to take everything home. Pupils do tend to acquire so much!!!   

Except for the odd pupil who commutes from home all other pupils reside in properties provided by Unite Students. Mainly between the two addresses in Chester St. 

ps. Oops no idea why quote is placed mid post. 

Edited by balletbean
  • Like 2

Thanks Pictures ..... good to have an idea what optionsthe senior students have once they leave boarding. 
Thanks also Balletbean for such a detailed response re student living in Manchester...... good to know as accommodation costs are such an important part of our considerations .

Thanks as always for everyone’s helpful replies 👍🏼

4 hours ago, balletbean said:

Most of the NBS pupils stay on Accomdation provided by UniteStudents. About a 4/6min walk from the school. Flats vary in size (amount of bedrooms) communal living room/kitchen space per flat . Many offer bedrooms with en-suite shower rooms or smaller flats provide shared bathrooms. Each flat is allocated for NBS but the overall building houses uni students. Staff are fantastic and very caring especially when students are unwell and conduct ‘welfare checks’   Prices vary depending on flat size. Average is about £146pw. Incl all heating water electric WiFi and an ad hoc cleaning of communal living room/kitchens. Laundry washers and driers are in the basement. Students download the Unite App and add credit to their laundry. All machine operate using a smart phone. No cash.  Apologises can’t recall how much each wash is. Even though I’ve done enough of them when I’m there!! 😂. The pupils tend to double up share a load once a week as the machines are commercial size. As well as their overall general dislike of domesticated jobs. 😉

The app also provides updates incl parcel delivery and maintenance requests. Unite also offer 24/7 maintenance and security with reception covered 8am-6pm approx. Additional costs really relate to food. Aldi at the Arndale is popular but about a good 15/20min walk away. Asda is walkable but requires a taxi ride back once laden down with shopping. Plenty of other ‘express’ stores around. Incl numerous chemists. Plenty of GP’s also in the area with a walk in centre about 8mins away in the A&E dept. 
Travel costs are negligible as the pupils are within walking distance of everything. Pupils that haven’t already do acquire a Student Rail Card in the 3rd and final year to reduce travel costs for auditions especially those in London even though many are held in house. 

1st yr pupils can apply singly and the Unitestudent Staff will place them all in one flat or pupils in other years who have applied at ‘EarlyBird’ rates but maybe have a bedroom unallocated will have a 1st yr join them. Boys and girls can be mixed but generally only if the rooms are en-suite. 
ie This yr one 6bed flat has :-

4x2nd yr pupils and 

2x 1st yr international pupils. 

Previous yr the 5bed flat was all 1st yrs. 

Initial costs to set up require a deposit (returnable at the end of rental that can be transferred from one yr to the next so refund is at the end of 3rd yr). 
They do provide furniture for living room and bedrooms. 
Also Cooker fridge microwave toaster and kettle. Everything else the pupils have to provide for themselves.

Staff replace furniture items and white goods when ever required. Incl the odd lumpy mattress. Very helpful. 

At the end of the summer term it’s the big pack up. As they all move flats each Sept. maintenance and summer students take over during Jul/Aug. There are multiple companies that offer survival rates for two month student storage. At an additional charge will even collect and return their belongings in-time for the new term. A service invaluable as it avoids having to take everything home. Pupils do tend to acquire so much!!!   

Except for the odd pupil who commutes from home all other pupils reside in properties provided by Unite Students. Mainly between the two addresses in Chester St. 

ps. Oops no idea why quote is placed mid post. 

Hello ballet bean my older d/d is wishing to audition for NBS this year. Can I ask if the rent in Unite would be for the academic year or 52 wks of the year? 

2 minutes ago, daughtersdance said:

Hello ballet bean my older d/d is wishing to audition for NBS this year. Can I ask if the rent in Unite would be for the academic year or 52 wks of the year? 

Hi. Most rental agreements are for 310 nights which works out at 44 weeks for full time students. The same length of time as a standard school year. There appears to be a standard ‘moving in date’ of the 31st August on the rental agreement but this is more for administrative purposes to ensure the flats are vacant after the summer rentals and general cleanup/maintenance. 
NBS summer term over run the dates by about 5days but the staff have been very understanding.  Which could be because the pupils aren’t exactly staying FOC as they don’t arrive until at least the end of the 1st week in September. If that makes sense.  
The rental agreement terms do appear standard for most providers of ‘Halls’, as I know of uni students who finish as early as May but still have to pay for the full term of their agreement. 

Thanks for your help ballet bean. 

Also can you remember the medical form? Is it a 'fit to attend an excercise class' or ' to whom it may concern' form? Or something else?  I went to the doctors to ask but the receptionist was confused as what to charge me as she'd never come across it before. 😔

She also said it could take up to a month to process unless I pay an extra £15 !

I've emailed the college to ask if I could send the form on later but haven't heard back yet.

2 hours ago, daughtersdance said:

Thanks for your help ballet bean. 

Also can you remember the medical form? Is it a 'fit to attend an excercise class' or ' to whom it may concern' form? Or something else?  I went to the doctors to ask but the receptionist was confused as what to charge me as she'd never come across it before. 😔

She also said it could take up to a month to process unless I pay an extra £15 !

I've emailed the college to ask if I could send the form on later but haven't heard back yet.

Hi. I do recall the GP form as it was asking if ‘‘medically fit’ (to undertake intensive dance training) and to list any underlying medical conditions ie diabetes, blood pressure issues, heart etc etc etc. 
Our GP receptionist (bless them all) said that the GP couldn’t sign any form without seeing the patient, if that patient hadn’t seen the GP recently. As it turned out my darling rather healthy DD hadn’t seen any GP since 2011!!  So I had to book an appointment. Where we live all our GP’s are Private so it cost me £45 just for him to say ‘Hi, how are you, yes you are fit and healthy, thank you and good luck’  5mins later out the door form in hand and all signed.  
By the sound of it your process for signing forms appears slightly different. Not too sure if my experience helps much. 😉

2 hours ago, balletbean said:

ur GP receptionist (bless them all) said that the GP couldn’t sign any form without seeing the patient, if that patient hadn’t seen the GP recently. As it turned out my darling rather healthy DD hadn’t seen any GP since 2011!!  So I had to book an appointment. Where we live all our GP’s are Private so it cost me £45 just for him to say ‘Hi, how are you, yes you are fit and healthy, thank you and good luck’  5mins later out the door form in hand and all signed.  
By the sound of it your process for signing forms appears slightly different. Not too sure if my experience helps much. 😉

Well my DD required the same for her vocational course in the UK including a Vitamin D blood test, but we live abroad and here any child from 8 years old upwards to adults too who practises any sport in a federated club, football, sailing, gymnastics, judo, etc cannot compete unless they have a full medical. ECG, eye tests, chest X rays if necessary. The form is signed and stamped by a doctor after a thourough examination at the start of each school year in triplicate, one to federation, one to club and one for us . This costs 13, 00 euros or so but that way they hope to catch those rare heart conditions that leave an athlete dead on the pitch occsionally and other preventable conditions. So when we presented for our medical at the GPS's my DD got everything, ECG, full bloods including Vit D which she takes religiously in the UK, lacking exposure to the sun. All for less than 10.00 euros. So I would never stint on the medical. She repeats it every year, when she comes home in the holidays, and heights and weights are recorded to get a growth chart. Remember , should your DD ever end up at Varna , Prix de Lausanne or other such top flight competitions, you normally have to have a medical history to accompany the registration, injuries, and any other observations signed off by  the family doctor. So do not just take your DC's to the doctor when ill , insist on 'health checks' not illnesses treatment. Medical teams should be an integral part of the training team.  

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Lusodancer said:

Well my DD required the same for her vocational course in the UK including a Vitamin D blood test, but we live abroad and here any child from 8 years old upwards to adults too who practises any sport in a federated club, football, sailing, gymnastics, judo, etc cannot compete unless they have a full medical. ECG, eye tests, chest X rays if necessary. The form is signed and stamped by a doctor after a thourough examination at the start of each school year in triplicate, one to federation, one to club and one for us . This costs 13, 00 euros or so but that way they hope to catch those rare heart conditions that leave an athlete dead on the pitch occsionally and other preventable conditions. So when we presented for our medical at the GPS's my DD got everything, ECG, full bloods including Vit D which she takes religiously in the UK, lacking exposure to the sun. All for less than 10.00 euros. So I would never stint on the medical. She repeats it every year, when she comes home in the holidays, and heights and weights are recorded to get a growth chart. Remember , should your DD ever end up at Varna , Prix de Lausanne or other such top flight competitions, you normally have to have a medical history to accompany the registration, injuries, and any other observations signed off by  the family doctor. So do not just take your DC's to the doctor when ill , insist on 'health checks' not illnesses treatment. Medical teams should be an integral part of the training team.  

It’s impressive that your GP offers this service to young athletes for such a minimal cost. In the UK a GP is not going to offer anything like that even if you have to pay for the form/letter to be completed at your normal surgery. Although 10 years ago we had to book a private appointment with GP for Dd, can’t remember what the cost was going to be but Dd hadn’t been to GP for years so he waived the fee. Can’t remember what was done beyond weight, height, checking for scoliosis and a general chat. 

In the UK a GP wouldn’t analysis the ECG of a child so wouldn’t offer this. There is a charity that offers this service and has regular screening programmes for this aged 14 and above. Google Cardiac Risk in the Young test my heart for details. 

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Lusodancer said:

So do not just take your DC's to the doctor when ill , insist on 'health checks' not illnesses treatment. Medical teams should be an integral part of the training team.  

This just is not available in the UK.  There are charities that offer the heart checks held on specific dates at places like local leisure centres (one locally is organised by the mum of a boy who died playing football) but the most you would get in a health check is blood pressure check and asking a few health questions.  The waiting time for a simple blood test (which are not carried out by the GP) for specific issues my son was having was about 3 weeks wait.  

To have what you are describing done privately would cost hundreds of pounds if you could even find someone.  My brother is currently struggling to find someone who will see his son privately for ongoing issues that are affecting his schooling and sports.

Pictures, I was thinking exactly the same....

DD’s previous school did a compulsory ‘Healthy Dancer’ annual check (small fee I think?) but don’t think this extended to checks in heart with ecg etc.....

The cursory GP health screen just really is nothing more than Pictures states....a chat along lines of ‘do you feel able to do all this dance?’ Then some still charge for a pretty meaningless certificate, some don’t!

our usual GP charged a big sum, the locum one time didn’t (bet he was in trouble for not grinning up some £ for surgery!) 

I’d far rather pay a bigger fee & actually get a proper check for any child about to embark on elite training. 

Lusodancer - is your system covered by any state costs or health insurance? Do you pay a large all round care bill annually? 

Really interesting topic....

Lots of schools make big store by their health links (Elmhurst springs to mind) do again, do they offer these more in depth (& very sensible) preventative focussed tests? 

Yes, I think its the same organisation.

15 minutes ago, Peanut68 said:

Pictures, I was thinking exactly the same....

DD’s previous school did a compulsory ‘Healthy Dancer’ annual check (small fee I think?) but don’t think this extended to checks in heart with ecg etc.....

If I remember correctly the Healthy Dancer screening is carried out by a physiotherapist.

Having known by association of 2 elite training individuals who died suddenly in their teens doing their sports of heart conditions that could’ve been spotted in advance it does suggest that it ought to become a compulsory part of screening for all intense sports (I include dance here)  training programmes with costs included in general training costs so self funders would pay, means tested funders might pay an element of cost, some would pay nothing. I imagine the football academies linked to major clubs quite likely do this following high profile cases of footballers dying or having heart problems? 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Peanut68 said:

Having known by association of 2 elite training individuals who died suddenly in their teens doing their sports of heart conditions that could’ve been spotted in advance it does suggest that it ought to become a compulsory part of screening for all intense sports (I include dance here)  training programmes with costs included in general training costs so self funders would pay, means tested funders might pay an element of cost, some would pay nothing. I imagine the football academies linked to major clubs quite likely do this following high profile cases of footballers dying or having heart problems? 

I have to admit to having a vested interest as someone with one of these conditions.
It sounds great all elite teenagers being tested but there has to be the genetic counselling in place for the family before it takes place. If the child is found to have the condition the chances are a parent does also and siblings have a 1 in 2 chance of carrying the gene even if they don’t go on to develop the condition. 

Yes most of us would want to know if we have a potentially life threatening heart condition but it can be life changing for all. You might have to change jobs, leave work, suddenly can’t get travel insurance at an affordable cost. Siblings who are symptom free but a carrier might never get a mortgage. Lots to think about. 

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Picturesinthefirelight said:

This was where it was very handy to discover that our GP, many years ago had attended a private school in Chester and shared a school bus with Hammond students some of whom he made friends with!  The fee was forgotten about. 

We had the same with a dance loving GP who just said, ‘Send me tickets for your first professional performance!’ 

• Like 1

43 minutes ago, Jane said:

I have to admit to having a vested interest as someone with one of these conditions.
It sounds great all elite teenagers being tested but there has to be the genetic counselling in place for the family before it takes place. If the child is found to have the condition the chances are a parent does also and siblings have a 1 in 2 chance of carrying the gene even if they don’t go on to develop the condition. 

Yes most of us would want to know if we have a potentially life threatening heart condition but it can be life changing for all. You might have to change jobs, leave work, suddenly can’t get travel insurance at an affordable cost. Siblings who are symptom free but a carrier might never get a mortgage. Lots to think about. 

Gosh Jane, quite a lot more to this to take in clearly with - as you very wisely (& sorry it’s from personal experience - I wish you & yours good health) put it - far reaching life changing implications for a whole family now & in the future potentially.

Thank you for sharing this

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Lusodancer said:

Those are very impressive tests. Even though our GP’s are private (but not covered under medical insurance) they would not be able to conduct such a level of examination. An ECG would require a Private hospital appointment with a cardiologist. Which just wouldn’t happen. Does beg the question though of how one would respond or react to a diagnosis they weren’t expecting and the implications on their life/family/career. I appreciate what you are saying. Thank you.  

Edited by balletbean

It is probably worth mentioning that ECG screening for these kind of disorders is a very specialist thing. I am a doctor who looks at ECGs on an almost daily basis and I wouldn't  be able to do it, nor in fact would my adult cardiology colleagues. The doctors that read the ECGs for CRY are paediatric cardiologists from a unit with a specialist interest in these issues. They are expert in looking for the relevant changes, and also the management and wider implications if anything concerning is found.

If you want your child screened I would strongly recommend this route rather than going to your GP or even a general cardiologist. It is free, though donations, both to CRY and the individual charities who fundraise for individual screening sessions, are of course very welcome. The only problem is that it is a very popular service and the sessions fill up extremely quickly. If you are interested, the best thing to do is to get on the e-mailing list via the CRY website and when you receive a notification of a screening in your area, book as soon as possible as they often fill within hours. It took me several months of trying to get a slot for my son, and we had to travel over 100 miles, but it was well worth it in my opinion. 

Edited by Pups_mum
Spelling
  • Like 2

8 hours ago, Pups_mum said:

It is probably worth mentioning that ECG screening for these kind of disorders is a very specialist thing. I am a doctor who looks at ECGs on an almost daily basis and I wouldn't  be able to do it, nor in fact would my adult cardiology colleagues. The doctors that read the ECGs for CRY are paediatric cardiologists from a unit with a specialist interest in these issues. They are expert in looking for the relevant changes, and also the management and wider implications if anything concerning is found.

If you want your child screened I would strongly recommend this route rather than going to your GP or even a general cardiologist. It is free, though donations, both to CRY and the individual charities who fundraise for individual screening sessions, are of course very welcome. The only problem is that it is a very popular service and the sessions fill up extremely quickly. If you are interested, the best thing to do is to get on the e-mailing list via the CRY website and when you receive a notification of a screening in your area, book as soon as possible as they often fill within hours. It took me several months of trying to get a slot for my son, and we had to travel over 100 miles, but it was well worth it in my opinion. 

Sounds like a fantastic service offered by CRY. Sadly we don’t have anything like that in our area. Consultant (general) Paediatrician or the Consultant Cardiologist that covers all ages. 
Our Health Dept (authority) haven’t quite fathomed out that Prevention is better than a Cure and therefore more cost effective in the long term. Our system is so far overloaded with genuinely sick people and understaffed they have no room for preventative measures but then that dept is a whole subject all of its own of which I dare not get started on 😉 😂. Except.....  they have just spent  £48m trying to find a suitable location to build a new hospital. Yup, £48m in an area measuring 9 x 5miles 🤷🏼‍♀️
ps they couldn't agree so they’ve written the money off and started again 🤦‍♀️

Edited by balletbean