Hair product recommendations?

ArucariaBallerina

Hi,

I have very very bushy wavy hair - like Hermione Granger style hair. I really want to achieve the slicked back look all the time for my buns for ballet class - hairsprays don't seem to hold the front hairs down after an hour or so. I have very heavy hair gel which I use for performances but I don't really want to be using it every day for class as it makes my hair really crusty!

Does anyone have any recommendations for a product I could use every day for class which can control all the baby hairs and bushy hairs?

Sorry if this is a silly question 🙈 And thank you!

Might be worth looking at your shampoo and conditioner, my hair texture went from a dry, unruly mane to shiny and almost perfectly straight. I use a mix of kerastase (pricy but lasts ages) and brazilian keratin smooth shampoo and conditioner. 

Never personally tried it but hairspray on a toothbrush is supposed to control the frizz? 

• Like 1

my DD uses a nitcomb with damp hair or hairspray on a very small brush (looks like a teasing brush). She uses hairspray - Schwarzkopf got2b - freeze hold one. Normally for performances for her but on her last cruise ship contract she was straight from the stage to on duty interacting with passengers so it brushed out enough and quickly enough for her to let her hair down.

Have you tried spraying your hair with water first to make it damp all over (the sort of hand held spray that you buy to spray plants with is ideal)?

This should allow you to style your hair how you want.

Then spray all over with hairspray.  It should set solid.  No need for gel.

I used to use this technique when doing lots of buns for dance school shows, and I think there were only two girls that it didn't work for (mainly because they had very short hair).

6 hours ago, glowlight said:

Have you tried spraying your hair with water first to make it damp all over (the sort of hand held spray that you buy to spray plants with is ideal)?

I used to use this technique when doing lots of buns for dance school shows, and I think there were only two girls that it didn't work for (mainly because they had very short hair).

My dd always had to use the VO5 gel as hairspray was banned in various places due to asthma and/or sensitive fire alarms!

Thanks everyone, I will try all of your suggestions! At the moment, I spray my hair with water, then twist the front parts into the bun before spraying with l'oreal elnett hairspray profusely. The twists definitely help, but I still always end up with flyaways at the front and back, though the bun itself is tight and flat.

21 hours ago, glowlight said:

This is how my daughter does her bun. She has long very curly fine hair. She uses Elnett spray (same as my grandmother - brings back lovely memories). It brushes out easily for quick style change from ballet to jazz.

Have you tried a pomade?  'Black and White Hairdressing Pomade' is a very good one. It's like a wax, but much better. I think it's about a fiver (you can find it in most supermarkets and major brand chemists - it might be with the men's styling products though), but you only need a tiny amount (just rub a bit between your fingers, before smoothing it onto the areas that need it). It really tames frizz and fixes hair well, so you wouldn't need as much hairspray. No crispyness to contend with afterwards! I use it often as I also have Hermione hair (thick, wiry and frizzy) and I only use pomade and hair spray. I also avoid getting it wet, as this just makes it worse (but obviously everyone is different!). I'm a ballet mum, but I do often wear a bun and the pomade works a treat for me.

• Like 1