Room 101

taxi4ballet

definition of office air conditioning is a system designed to send a blast of icy cold air down the back of your neck that automatically stops working when outside temperature reaches 25C. My only suggestions are to wear a long loose dress and eat ice lolly in place of afternoon tea break.

• Replies 2.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Definition of a punch-up waiting to happen:

The air conditioning in the office is on full-blast, and everyone is still complaining about being boiling hot... all except the poor soul whose desk is immediately under the air conditioning vent, is chilled to the bone and has icicles growing on their eyelashes.

• Like 2

There is a very large lay-by just outside the main centre of Lewes....technically on the A.26.

We have parked there sometimes and then walked into Lewes if we need the Cliffe High Street end of the town

However today we thought it was unusual.....nobody at all parked there ....and then saw that there were double yellow lines all along the curb side of the lay by. Not along the carriageway bit of the road just on the curb side. So does this mean that you can't park or stop in the lay by anymore? What would be the purpose of it then as it is really quite a large space. We didn't risk it but find it puzzling to say the least. Has anyone else seen this?

East Sussex County Council wanting more money I expect LinMM.  They can't bear the thought of anyone parking for free in Lewes.

Same here. There is a large lay-by opposite our local hospital. It was very useful for parking if you were visiting the hospital for whatever reason and did not want to queue/pay to park in the grounds. At one point, there was a little florist stand there and a takeaway kiosk. Now there are two rows of double yellow lines along each side and the lay-by is obviously unused. What is the point of that, other than to stop what was perfectly legitimate free parking. Presumably they also considered the kiosk and florist a threat to the outrageously overpriced in-hospital versions.

• Like 1

Our local hospital did away with the WI mini-shop/newspaper stall/second-hand bookshop which also served tea and cake etc. The hospital management decreed that the second-hand books couldn't be guaranteed free of germs, and the cakes served were made by WI volunteers and so couldn't be guaranteed nut/allergen free etc. Nor would the hospital pay for every volunteer (dozens of them) to have an enhanced DBS security clearance, despite many of them having been volunteering at the hospital for decades.

The shop was staffed entirely by volunteers, who also pushed their book/newspaper/tea trolleys round the wards and waiting areas, donated all proceeds to hospital charity funds, and who would also sit with lonely patients and comfort the bereaved.

All gone.

• Like 1

Parents at Graduation ceremonies.

We had the usual switch off our phones and not to call out or whistle and to wait and clap at the end speech.  I suppose I must let the people next to me off as they were late in and didn't hear this so when next but one stood up and emitted a very loud what sounded like and African war cry and had answered a phone call I couldn't say much - especially as we had already had people calling out - but to everyone else who let out silly noises when their child's name was said and to the people in front of me who kept waving !!!!! at their child I say very bad form.  The're not tiny tots on a stage - they are adults!!

• Like 4

This does seem to,be a rather modern thing.....perhaps since all the TV programmes which have all this carry on from the supporters which goes on forever!! A really warm round of applause in the appropriate place is all that's really needed to let people know you are appreciated!

Very irritating!!

'this account has been suspended' message from balletco tonight....not the best wording since I sat there for a minute wondering which one of my post could possibly be so inflammatory that I get banned before I realised the whole site had temporarily disappeared. Eeeeek.

• Like 2

'this account has been suspended' message from balletco tonight....not the best wording since I sat there for a minute wondering which one of my post could possibly be so inflammatory that I get banned before I realised the whole site had temporarily disappeared. Eeeeek.

Me too!  Especially since I'm a Moderator :)

• Like 3

Ridiculous, isn't it?  I was just saying, it's a good job it wasn't like this last weekend, or we'd never have got the Davis Cup tie finished.  (At least Wimbledon could be played under the roof).

If I haven't already put them there, I'd like to add the people sitting in window seats on public transport who seem to think it's perfectly acceptable these days not to say "excuse me" when they want to get out, but just get up and expect you to move for them regardless.  I'm happy for them to say it in their native language if they don't speak English: it would just be courteous to acknowledge the person next to you, wouldn't it?

• Like 2

I agree Alison with regards to the "excuse me" and it made me recall my recent journeys in case I hadn't been polite. I didn't get chance to say excuse me to the last lady sitting next to me. I started to gather all my things as she was asleep and the minute i started moving she was out of her seat like a racehorse out the starting gate!!

There are some very rude people on the trains, but we met a lovely young man on the tube who was most solicitous of dd and myself making sure we were well inside the doors on a very crowded tube - it was only his second day having just moved to London - hope he continues to be so lovely and that London doesn't rub off on him!

Edited by porthesia
  • Like 4

Apologies for the subject matter, but is it national nose picking day today? Just had to go on a long detour 'round the houses' as the main road is closed again, due to road works.

I have never seen so many people going by in cars or just walking along the streets and picking their noses. Not just a discreet wipe either, but full on cavity exploration with 100% attention to detail. Absolutely disgusting. :wacko:

Into Room 101 goes the bumptious self-important prat of a man who thinks that being asked to provide information to someone working in his own accounts department is somehow an affront to his personal pride and dignity, and is a personal attack on his own ability to perform his job. Get over yourself, you pillock.

Ahhhh... I feel better now!

• Like 7

Same as me BMf2 - most of my driving is motorway driving.

The set on my current car are Bridgestone, on previous cars I have had Dunlop or Michelin.

I just had my tyres changed a couple of weeks ago.  The set changed had done 65000 so I don't think they owed me any money!

Website designers who can't be bothered to check what their sites look like.  I know, I have a Windows XP computer which can't take anything more recent than Internet Explorer 8.  I accept that: there's nothing I can do about it.  But when I try to view them on an up-to-date Firefox or Chrome browser and they are still non-navigable, that's appalling.  Yes, Evening Standard, ATP and others, you should be ashamed of yourselves.  This seems to have happened with quite a few sites this month: I guess they've decided that August, when people are on holiday, is a good month for changing everything.

double whammy today!

holiday companies that book the accommodation part of your holiday but forget the travel part that you happen to need in order to get there.!! finally sorted!!

worse- thieves and fraudsters who get hold of your credit card details (how?).  had a phone call from the fraud dept yesterday who had spotted unusual transactions (for us) on the credit card.  but now our credit cards are cancelled and it will be 8 days before we have new ones - and we are going on holiday before then!!!!!

Seen in the park this morning, a 'green spaces sanitation technician' or cleaner in plain language armed with his plastic sack and grabber, trying to pick up a small piece of plastic from the path. Like one of those amusements where you try and lift the gift with a special picker that is designed to drop at the last second, he tried this way and that to pick up the plastic but kept dropping it. Must've had all day!

In the end, as he was wearing gloves and other protective clothing, I asked why not just pick it up with your hands? Apparently, he is not allowed to, he must use the grabber. If he were to injure himself etc. :rolleyes:

worse- thieves and fraudsters who get hold of your credit card details (how?).  had a phone call from the fraud dept yesterday who had spotted unusual transactions (for us) on the credit card.  but now our credit cards are cancelled and it will be 8 days before we have new ones - and we are going on holiday before then!!!!!

That's poor.  My bank claims to get you a new card in 2 days - but perhaps that's debit cards only?

As for "how", let me count the ways ...  Multiple online scams, user error, "skimming" scams in restaurants ...  About 10 years ago I got clobbered a couple of times in a restaurant I used to use quite frequently when going to the Coli/ROH.  I didn't realise what was happening the first time, had suspicions but nothing more the second.  The third time, I actually pretty much baited a trap for them by carefully using the replacement card which I'd barely used, and that one got compromised as well.  Then a friend and I went there - I was paying cash only by now - and I warned her about using a credit card, and told her my suspicions.  She said she barely ever used the card, so we'd know who it was if anything happened.  Sure enough ...  I guess the fraud squad must have had ample ammunition by then, or possibly someone in management found out, or something.

I've been back there numerous times in the last 10 years, and thus far haven't had another problem.  The advent of at-the-table chip & PIN machines certainly helped, and so did my keeping an eagle eye on my card any time it was taken away from my table.