After graduation

Jazzpaws

This is a tough one and a great worry to parents who are supporting DC's on a wonderful journey but without any secure prospects.

Permanent contracts are few and far between (I am so pleased for those who have them).

DD grew very late and has turned out to be a beautiful young lady, just over 5'10" 

This really hasn't helped in securing a long term contract, which is very hard to cope with and so disappointing after all those years of hard work and dedication.

However, she graduated with  a 2:1 from the wonderful Central School of Ballet last year and has secured a place on the Royal Academy of Dance PGCE (11-19) programme with NQT status starting in August !

It was a late choice, but she is so excited about this new venture and can't wait to start!

As a parent, I am very proud (as always) and also pleased to see her hard work and those results pay off - and also would like to credit Central School of Ballet staff with excellent training !

I do feel the RAD is the best place to pursue the PGCE (my opinion)

The only annoyance is Student Finance 'Here we go again'

Just felt I had to share, as the journey goes on and the destination is never set in stone. Saying that, our dancers have resilience of huge rocks. 

Also, as parents on here, it is so inspiring to see what others have achieved with their journeys even if those journeys have arrived at completely different destinations !

Wishing well to all and please post your journeys.

Mary x

• Like 9

Good luck to her. It’s been an especially hard couple of years for the recent graduates trying to get their first contracts. Dd could have had a number of contracts if she didn’t want any form of pay! 

Will she be able to use her 4th year of student finance to fund the course? 

• Like 1

Just now, Jane said:

Good luck to her. It’s been an especially hard couple of years for the recent graduates trying to get their first contracts. Dd could have had a number of contracts if she didn’t want any form of pay! 

Will she be able to use her 4th year of student finance to fund the course? 

Thanks Jane 

It seems to be the case, but still at the application stage which isn't always straightforward

I do appreciate that student finance is available to those who otherwise would not be able to support their children through higher education (in my ancient past it was never a loan)

Talented young people like your DD should not be expected to work for nothing, a sad state of affairs

Good Luck JazzPaws. 

I feel for you and hope all works out for your DD. As I try to say. ‘Things happen for a reason’. Which might not always feel like it at the time. 

I experienced something similar with my son but away from the dance world.

Rode horses since he was old enough to sit in the saddle. At 5ft5 was ok for height as the jockey industry is based on weight not height. Was accepted to train at Equine college at just 16, graduated fully qualified. But then he had a late growth spurt. Aged 19 ended up 6ft. No one in the family is that tall. Far from it. Put paid to his life long dream of becoming a pro jockey because at 6ft he couldn’t maintain the low weight required. Had to refocus and redirect his career but still within the equine industry. It was so hard to see him struggle both mentally and financially but now happy and enjoying his new unexpected career pathway. 

So much focus and financial support is given to University Academnic students with so little support being given to talented teenagers that make this world go round. 

• Like 2

Congratulations to you and your daughter jazzpaws! Well done for achieving a 2:1 and securing a place on the PGCE course. Securing a paid professional contract is hard enough without being at either end of the height spectrum. I hope she enjoys her next course as much as the last few years. All the very best.

• Like 2

16 hours ago, Vonrothbart said:

I casually asked my GDD if she would ever consider teaching dance, her reply was short and sharp, "no way". I suppose it's each to their own,  and I certainly wouldn't worry about student finance, it must be the best loan deal EVER.

Not that my DS ever said no to teaching, but people change, perspectives change, events force change ...  

Jazzpaws, hope your daughter has a wonderful time - teaching may be  the ultimate way of "giving something back" to the teachers that have taken her so far.

• Like 6

12 hours ago, Streetdancer said:

I understood that a first teaching qual is always eligible for student finance? 

Yes, it does. I just have to round up paperwork again, but have spoken to them and think it's sorted now x