Judith Mackrell stepping down from the Guardian and Lyndsey Winship stepping up

Judith Mackrell is stepping down from her post as dance critic at the Guardian.  Lyndsey Winship (ex Evening Standard) has been appointed in her place.

According to the news article Ms Mackrell will continue contributing to the Guardian.

https://www.theguardian.com/gnm-press-office/2018/may/22/lyndsey-winship-appointed-guardian-dance-critic-as-judith-mackrell-steps-down

• Like 3

A pity. I think Winship's ballet reviews in the Evening Standard were pathetic. A difficult task, perhaps, given the lack of space given to ballet reviews in that paper. Another reason to continue reading Balletcoforum: there are many posters here who are far better informed and whose reviews I have found more illuminating.

Has there also been a change at the FT?

2 hours ago, Lizbie1 said:

The Guardian's coverage of ballet (and classical music and opera for that matter) has been looking pretty scant for a while IMO.

Sign of the times. I remember Judith Mackrell as dance critic of The Independent. Half a page or more when it was a broadsheet. 

• Like 1

After some years of trawling for our daily Links section, you pick up a thing or two - one of these being that newspaper critics will usually be writing with a words limit to fit a day's edition.  For example, I picked up that Judith Mackrell had only 500 words for one of her most recent pieces whereas, when she does her occasional Guardian online blog pieces, I doubt there's any limit of that kind.  And it may be that it will be these that she will continue to contribute. 

Elsewhere, Dance coverage in the Evening Standard has visibly shrunk in the past year, I'd say.  And whilst I've seen no announcement, it does very much look as if Clement Crisp has retired at the FT, with Louise Levene taking over.  And for Links overall, we have a fair number of online 'journals' that have emerged in the past 5 years or so, sources that did not exist when we were doing Links back on ballet.co, for example.  In general, these permit writers to expand in a way that newspapers apparently cannot, or will not.  The internet is changing things, and not just on our local High Streets.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Tony Newcombe said:

Sign of the times. I remember Judith Mackrell as dance critic of The Independent. Half a page or more when it was a broadsheet. 

Yes, I remember those heady days when ballet critics really knew their stuff and were given the space to share their knowledge and opinions with us.  One of my great pleasures back in the 80s, when I was in my 20s, was to take a blanket, one of those new-fangled Walkmans, and a bottle of water or juice to Regent's Park on a warm Sunday afternoon.  I would buy The Observer on the way, and once ensconced on the blanket would turn immediately to Jann Parry's reviews.  Beautifully written, informative, and well worth a few perusals.  Sadly, we seem to have lost all that now.  I agree with Darlex;  I learn a lot more from the posters on this forum than I do from any other critical source. 

• Like 6

1 hour ago, Ian Macmillan said:

Elsewhere, Dance coverage in the Evening Standard has visibly shrunk in the past year, I'd say. 

You're quite right, since the paper became a freebie, arts coverage in the standard has shrunk, but particularly under the present editor.  I don't know how far back you go, but I remember Sydney Edwards, possible the best arts editor any newspaper ever had, he loved the ballet and actually embedded himself with the Royal Ballet on one of the tours to the US, actually reporting from their plane mid air on the flight over.  Happy days.

Edited by MAB
typo

I have sighted Clement Crisp recently but I wonder whether anyone actually saw him at the opening night of Swan Lake. It would have been very unlike him to miss out on an important occasion like that even if he does want to watch Osipova.

2 hours ago, Ian Macmillan said:

After some years of trawling for our daily Links section, you pick up a thing or two - one of these being that newspaper critics will usually be writing with a words limit to fit a day's edition. 

Which makes it all the more disappointing that many of them tend to regale us with the story of a ballet and often say so little about the performance itself . That's fine when it's a new production but it's not helpful otherwise.

• Like 7

51 minutes ago, capybara said:

I have sighted Clement Crisp recently but I wonder whether anyone actually saw him at the opening night of Swan Lake. It would have been very unlike him to miss out on an important occasion like that even if he does want to watch Osipova.

Which makes it all the more disappointing that many of them tend to regale us with the story of a ballet and often say so little about the performance itself . That's fine when it's a new production but it's not helpful otherwise.

He was not in his usual seat on opening night

On ‎23‎/‎05‎/‎2018 at 11:05, MAB said:

You're quite right, since the paper became a freebie, arts coverage in the standard has shrunk, but particularly under the present editor. 

Yes.  Didn't Tamara Rojo, when guest-editing the Today Programme last Christmas, get an admission from him that he was pro the arts?  If so, why are they not being given more coverage?

• Like 4