RBS JAs/Mid Associates Assessment procedure

balletmummy

Just wondering what the assessment procedure is for JAs and Mids. Do parents get feedback throughout the year? Do the students get an idea of their weaker areas before the assessments so they know what to work on beforehand?

Apparently Elmhurst Associates do not give parents any feedback of their child's progress at any point during the year and no report at the end of the year for Extended Associates. How can they justify this?

• Like 3

Hi my Lovely, I totally agree with feedback, as I feel it is important to grow,and learn,we also had feedback for my dd, although miss whiteman was very nice,her description of my dd, was baffling to all,and not correct, as I found out on one of our hospital and physio appointments,so sometimes feedback can go the other way.

But having said that I would email or message them,your dd is a very special little girl,and extremely talented xxx

Royal JA and Mids get multiple sets of feedback over the course of the year. I’ve known warnings about performance be given way in advance of the final assessments. 

Elmhurst JAs get written feedback at the end of each year and my current year 6s have had plenty of verbal feedback from their teachers.

Ive had a student who transitioned from Elmhurst JA to extended associate programme last year and received no end of year report and feedback has been limited. This year they were told they would be assessed but it’s not been made clear who has assessed them as no one has been in to class! 

Ive had several conversations with Mr Annear and the JA teachers at Royal who have all been happy to share feedback with me as a teacher 

My daughters RBS JA teacher has given me a phone call report in her first term. Gave pointers for improvement and that she needed to not talk when waiting in the corners!!! Then Sylvia Hubbard did a visit and the following week we got an email confirming she was progressing  to Year 5, so I'm guessing they did the assessment when she was there but my daughter (and me) had no idea that's what her visit coukd have been for? 

My DDs currently in Year 6 JAs . Never had any formal assessment feedback at all. She started last September and in early October I did have a telephone appointment with the teacher. This was at a very superficial level and really didn't give that much insight into how DD was progressing. I felt it was more about feeling out our intentions regarding full time training.

On the flip side, in response to e mailing the teacher with audition results, I have had a couple of lovely comments, about DD, back in reply. They seem quite happy to respond but they're not necessarily proactive about it. At our class, it's very difficult to talk face to face with the teacher and any mums that have tried to are usually told to send an email. Mostly an issue of practicality, I know.

Results from MA assessments are really quick.  They occasionally monitor children they don't feel are pushing themselves/performing to the best of their abilities.  Sylvia Hubbard will call if this is the case and give detailed feedback, including areas to focus on/suggestions of exercises.  If they are monitored, you may get a visit before Christmas break and be told if your child can continue in the January.  This all seems incredibly scary, but it really does make the children who want it go in fighting, and is designed to push them to achieve their best.  My DD is in her last year of MAs now, and she was the only one in her year group who was monitored after assessments in both years 7 and 8 - it worked though, and they do recognise their efforts, and it resulted in her gaining an SA place!

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Danceintherain said:

Results from MA assessments are really quick.  They occasionally monitor children they don't feel are pushing themselves/performing to the best of their abilities.  Sylvia Hubbard will call if this is the case and give detailed feedback, including areas to focus on/suggestions of exercises.  If they are monitored, you may get a visit before Christmas break and be told if your child can continue in the January.  This all seems incredibly scary, but it really does make the children who want it go in fighting, and is designed to push them to achieve their best.  My DD is in her last year of MAs now, and she was the only one in her year group who was monitored after assessments in both years 7 and 8 - it worked though, and they do recognise their efforts, and it resulted in her gaining an SA place!

Thanks for that , that’s very helpful and well done to your Dd on gaining a SA place that’s amazing , she’s obv very talented .  Good to hear that they don’t just throw them out ! Have no problem with being monitored if required and would welcome the feedback . Be glad when it’s all over tho 😊

• Like 1