Audition Solo questions (Lower School)

MrsMoo2

Hi,

DS has decided he will audition for vocational school after all even though he knows his chances are very slim.

One thing that is flummoxing us though is a one minute solo! One, music is really difficult to source. DS would like something slow but funky. Then two, choreography. Now in my time I’ve danced a fair bit but not sure what they are looking for in this part. Obviously you’d want to show off your best moves, but what if he goes blank mid way through?? My house is tiny, may have to choreograph in the garden!

Any words of wisdom?? The thingy reasoning test looks like a Mensa IQ test too! 🙈🙈 Lol!!

long road ahead, me thinks!!

🤞🤞🤞 xx

Edited by Anna C
Edited by Mod for clarification

Can his teacher help him? Or is there a dance that he does at his dance school that he really knows that he could use. 

It might be better to do a modern, contemporary or tap solo which ever he is best at rather than doing a ballet solo. Unless it’s only Ballet he really knows.

You’d be surprised how much you can get in a 1 minute dance! 

Good luck 🍀

• Like 2

I'd start with his dance teacher. He/she will know his strengths and play to them. They're also used to choreographing to short pieces. I second the suggestion to try another style apart from ballet if you can. They'll assess potential for ballet in class, showing a bit of variety may be beneficial.

im no expert by the way! Just repeating what I've either read on here or heard from my daughters dance teacher. If it's Hammond you are auditioning for I know they definitely like to see other styles apart from ballet. My daughter is an associate there and has been asked to audition for a full time place but it's not the right move for her just yet. Good luck!!

• Like 2

Hi guys, he is 10, will be 11 in August.

Talked about it with him this morning, and he’s not keen on the solo thing but says he’d love to go to the school. (Been there for odd days).

Would talk to the teacher but when I mentioned it briefly a while back she was less than enthusiastic. It’s the school who have been encouraging him.

Cor blimey, not easy is it? 😂 Then I go to a parents evening on Monday where his sister has been placed in a more able class and that school want her to sit 11+ tests for grammar schools.

I’m sure my comp wasn’t this complicated! 😆😆😆😆 xx

• Like 1

Just to clarify, is it the school he is auditioning for that is encouraging him to apply?  If so, you may be able to speak to them about the solo and get guidance from them, and suggestions of who may be able to help - wondering about their own staff/pupils.

10 is pushing it for choreo skills :-) 

So I’m assuming you have put in application form, got audition date and now sorting solo! How long have you got til audition? 

As I think you might be better just doing a dance that he already knows, ie an exam dance, a show dance he’s already done. Rather than choreographing a brand new dance that would stress him even more!!

• Like 2

Just to reassure you if its the school I think they will be accommodating and understand the different levels of experience and teacher involvment the year 6 auditionees have.

I don;t know what they did for a solo (I never asked) but one student who started the same time as dd had never done ballet before - they were spotted/discovered/whatever you like to call it for potential at a primary school dance outreach type workshop.

If he does have a solo he's done for a festival in the past then I would use that, or I think some children used their ISTD  Modern exam amalgamation.

You mention a "thingy reasoning test" - Is that something the school have sent you.  if so, then don;t stress about that.  I'm assuming its verbal and non verbal reasoning CATS type tests.  They can be really good in giving schools an idea of a child's actual academic potential, spiky results led dd's school to pick up on the fact she may have a specific issue and be under-performing.  Children will not be chosen on academic ability, just the school will want to know how best to place and support them whatever their academic ability.

Edited by Picturesinthefirelight
  • Like 1