Easter Intensives

TooTu

I'm looking for Easter Intensives for my 12 year old dd currently working at Intermediate level & trying to put together a list for her to look at before we decide. So far I have Malvern Ballet Seminars, Masters of Ballet & Ballet Boost. Are there any others worth taking a look at that I have missed?

1 hour ago, amos73 said:

Dance Forward is great. DD did their summer course and is signed up for Easter. Lots of repertoire with Principals from RB - (Sarah Lamb, Yasmine Naghdi, Frederico Bonelli were all teaching the course in August this year)

Thank you I will take a look at it too & show it to dd

Andrew pulls together a range of professionals including great technicians, performers and choreographers so everyone should get something out of participating.  I would agree that if you want something more technical then this may not be the right option.  For dancers who spend the term working on technique and preparing for examinations it is nice to have something different for holiday courses.  We haven't found many that are so focused on technique for the whole of the course, even the big names.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, junedancer said:

Andrew pulls together a range of professionals including great technicians, performers and choreographers so everyone should get something out of participating.  I would agree that if you want something more technical then this may not be the right option.  For dancers who spend the term working on technique and preparing for examinations it is nice to have something different for holiday courses.  We haven't found many that are so focused on technique for the whole of the course, even the big names.

Yes that was exactly what dd enjoyed about it - she is a full time vocational student so every day is focussed on technique. The course was a lovely complement to that. 

• Like 2

8 hours ago, Harwel said:

Really lovely dancers, but are they teachers? 

Is there evidence one way or the other ? 

across  all kinds of settings i've  met people  who are expert practitioners and  rubbish teachers  as often as i've met  expert teachers who are great teachers...  
Hopefully those accepting  invitations  to be part of the faculty  at  these kinds of thing at least like to teach ... 

one also hopes that  the  organisers  have made  their decisions on whom to ask  wisely ... 

Dd did Dance Forward courses a few years ago. She found Sarah Lamb a very attentive teacher who gave very helpful corrections (she also remembered dd name course after course which used to make her week!). I can't comment on the other 2 listed as not on the faculty when dd did the courses. 

The groups at Dance Forward were large but dd never complained she didn't get attention or an opportunity to dance. 

I can't remember a course where Andrew didn't arrange a separate coaching sessions for the boys/men. 

Dd has also done Easter Ballet Boosts, again large groups and she has encountered some of the same teachers (Wayne Sleep for one) and again felt she gained something from the course. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Jane said:

Dd has also done Easter Ballet Boosts, again large groups and she has encountered some of the same teachers (Wayne Sleep for one) and again felt she gained something from the course. 

Lots of cross-over between Ballet Boost and Dance Forward with other good teachers such as Stephen Beagley and Begoña Cao.  While I want DD to get good technical instruction at a course I think it is the overall experience that they give that makes us go for the ones we do.  The one time I have been disappointed with a parent watch session at the end of a course was a demonstration of the work that had been taught by an RBS Associates teacher.  I know she is a great teacher but the choreographed piece was below the ability of the class so I am not sure they got too much out of it.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Nicola H said:

Is there evidence one way or the other ? 

across  all kinds of settings i've  met people  who are expert practitioners and  rubbish teachers  as often as i've met  expert practitioners who are great teachers...  
Hopefully those accepting  invitations  to be part of the faculty  at  these kinds of thing at least like to teach ... 

one also hopes that  the  organisers  have made  their decisions on whom to ask  wisely ... 

Typo corrected , didn't see it until after the editing period had closed on my original post.

Hi all, a list of Ballet Boost faculty if that helps for this year -

Stephen Beagley - Company guest teacher worldwide

Ruth Brill - BRB & Choreographer

Olivia Cowley - RB

Ricardo Cervera - RB Ballet Master

Roberto Almaguer - ABT / ex ENBS

Flavien - BalletBoyz

Myself - ENBS Guest teacher

The ethos behind Ballet Boost is to always look to the future and all guest teachers are chosen with the possibility of talent being spotted and vital industry connections being made. This is part and parcel of their futures alongside their artistic and technical abilities. The life skills of a professional is what I try to impart and so far we have have good success and these connections have worked wonders :)As there are many courses out there I wanted to offer something a bit different that goes beyond the classes on a timetable - at the end of the day, a successful future career is why they are training and so your money needs to be well spent in an expensive industry!! Hope this helps.....

If you have any questions do please fire away - you can message me via Facebook too (Emma Northmore) as I am so rarely on here! x

• Like 8

• 1 month later...
2 hours ago, Mae989 said:

Does anyone know of any good residential Easter courses? DD fancies a change from Malvern, although it is highly recommended😃

I’m sure that Shannon and Peter Parker announced on fb that they were going to run an Easter school this year.  However, I can’t seem to access their website so I don’t know any details.

• Like 1