Reserve funding? NBS Manchester

SheDances

Hello all, my daughter was offered a place at NBS. However she was not offered funding, she is on the reserve list for funding and they said they'd let us know if anything was available. As more time goes by, I am thinking it's now unlikely she will be offered anything so she won't be able to go. Am I just hoping against the impossible? Is there any chance now? 

Sorry for posting twice! 

Edited by SheDances
  • Like 1

I wouldn't give up hope entirely. Both from things I have read on here and people I know personally, there can still be movement on waiting lists right up until the beginning of term. Admittedly it's less common late on - there tends to be a flurry of activity in the Spring once all the auditions are over and those students who are fortunate enough to have received more than one offer make their final decisions, thus freeing up spaces at the school/s they decided against. But opportunities do arise late on sometimes. I guess there must be students who decide at the last minute that it's not the path for them after all, and some whose families sadly realise that even with the funding offered it's still too expensive. 

It makes sense to have Plan B sorted out of course, as sadly there are many more talented young people than there are funded places, but don't give up all hope. I hope good news comes your way soon.

• Like 3

No, it doesn't sound dramatic. I'm sure most of us can relate to your feelings. In some ways I think being offered a place but no funding must be harder to deal with than not getting a place at all.

If things don't work out this time, don't forget that a number of the schools offer degree courses that are eligible for student finance. That's still not a cheap option of course, and you may well have to top up the loan,  but it's a lot more attainable for most than trying to self fund a diploma. Maybe that's an option you could look into for next year, if you haven't already done so?

• Like 4

Hi Shedances

June is still fairly early re dada funding and there will be some students holding multiple offers and as they are given back it filters down to the other schools and colleges .

My dd received her offer for Bird in June off the reserve list .

Do you know where she is on the list ? 

Fingers crossed for some good news.

Thanks for all these lovely and useful replies. I'm holding out some hope. She definitely wants the ballet course so if she ends up doing her a levels instead, where would we be applying to in order to get a ballet course with a student loan instead of dada. It seems daft that student funding isn't offered alongside dada funding if you don't get a dada? I didn't realise all of this when she was applying which makes me feel really sad. 

For classical ballet degree courses which are paid for by student loans you can look at Central School of Ballet, Ballet West, Royal Conservatoire of Scotland and if you are happy with contemporary in the mix, then Rambert as well.  I may have forgotten some, but those are the main ones that spring to mind.

It might be worth contacting Ballet West in case there are still places available for September 2017.

Edited by Pas de Quatre
Adding last sentence
  • Like 1

Yes, student loans can be available for degree programme dance courses at 16. Many schools accept new entrants at varying ages from 16+, some start at 18+ so don't worry, this isn't her only chance:) Quite a lot of students put off auditioning until they are 18 and have done A-levels anyway, and sometimes it is of benefit to the student as they will be physically stronger and also more ready to live away from home.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, SheDances said:

Thanks for all these lovely and useful replies. I'm holding out some hope. She definitely wants the ballet course so if she ends up doing her a levels instead, where would we be applying to in order to get a ballet course with a student loan instead of dada. It seems daft that student funding isn't offered alongside dada funding if you don't get a dada? I didn't realise all of this when she was applying which makes me feel really sad. 

Dada funding is for courses which run the Trinity Diploma in Dance, Musical Theatre or Acting.  They are available at the following insttutions, ALRA, Arts Ed, Bird, Bodyworks, Elmhurst, ENB, Hammond, Italia Conti, Laine, LTS, Millennium, Mountview, Northern Ballet, Oxford Drama, Performers, SLP, Stella Mann, Tring (though there is a bit of a blip), Urdang.

Student Finance is for degree courses.  Some of those only accept 18 year olds but the ones that accept 16 year olds are the ones pas de quatre lists above. 

• Like 3

I don't think movement on the reserve lists is necessarily finished yet. I have heard of a few people with multiple offers say they have had a letter asking them to make a decision now. Worse case scenario though and she doesn't get funding this year, it certainly is not likely to be her last chance. If she is still able to dance locally then you can reapply next year or after A levels - not just for the degree courses but also for DADA funded ones. She was good enough to get a place this time so you know she meets the entry standard - next time she might get the funding. Not sure about Elmhurst or Tring, but I think all of the others accept 18 year olds as well. In fact, often the 16 year olds are in a minority on the courses. I wish you luck in any case.

• 1 month later...

I wouldn't give up hope yet my daughter got offered a place four weeks ago off the reserve list and have been told that some girls have been given dadas closer to the start date. We had given up and planned a different route so all up in the air at the moment. Good luck. 

Well, thanks to this thread, I have amazing news! We received a funded offer but from elsewhere so am in the position of turning down NBS so hopefully someone else can benefit there. If I hadnt joined this forum and had the benefit of your experiences I would not be saying this! I don't want to out myself or my daughter but thank you to all the contributors here and good luck to others seeking help. You're amazing xx 

• Like 7

1 hour ago, SheDances said:

Well, thanks to this thread, I have amazing news! We received a funded offer but from elsewhere so am in the position of turning down NBS so hopefully someone else can benefit there. If I hadnt joined this forum and had the benefit of your experiences I would not be saying this! I don't want to out myself or my daughter but thank you to all the contributors here and good luck to others seeking help. You're amazing xx 

That's fantastic news - you must be so relieved and so proud!  I know it seems trivial to say but things often happen for a reason even if you don't know what they are at the time!  You must be so excited. Congratulations! !

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...