Ballett Zürich looking for swans

SwissBalletFan

I noticed that Ballett Zürich have advertised for newly graduated ballerinas to apply for Alexei Ratmansky's Swan Lake next year.

Just in case its useful for some dancers here.

VACANCIES
BALLETT ZÜRICH IS LOOKING FOR FEMALE DANCERS FOR THE REVIVAL OF SWAN LAKE (CH. ALEXEI RATMANSKY)

Ballet Zurich will bring back Swan Lake (choreography: Alexei Ratmansky) in season 2016/17.

For this production we are looking for additional female dancers who should be available for all rehearsals and performances from February - April 2017.

Requirements: recently graduated from ballet school, height between 167 cm and 170 cm, excellent classical technique.

CV, portrait photo, dance photos can be sent to: audition@opernhaus.ch

Edited by SwissBalletFan
  • Like 3

I know ADs like uniformity but some variation in heights could be tolerated. 3cm is a very narrow range!!

The other thing is that people have different-sized feet, so when on pointe there will be a bigger difference.

Comparing someone who is 167cm tall with small feet, and another of 170cm with long feet - on pointe their height difference will be more than 3 cm, more like 6 or 7cm.

• Like 1

The Health visitor said DD would be about 5' 11.5" (when she was 2 - they were worried about how big she was so did some tests)

She seems to have topped out at not quite 5' 5" & at 18.5 I really don't see her growing much more......so much for that idea :rolleyes:

• Like 2

I thought exactly the same Loulabelle! Mind you, by the time she could audition they'll probably be back to looking for littleies!!

Generally the younger population are taller than they have ever been, it is highly likely that companies will look for taller dancers rather than littleies as theseen will be in a minority group and the companies will need uniformity. However saying that, it will also depend on the height of the male dancers. My DD is 5'6" at age 11 and want her to stop growing as I believe she will be disadvantaged if she doesn't.

Well thank goodness companies like BRB and NB are not heightist - and long may they remain so! As a ballet-watcher I prefer the variety (and I don't think it out of place in a work like Swan Lake, after all real-life swans come in different sizes!).

It's quite amazing to see the huge range in heights of these 2 companies - just all lovely dancers.

• Like 2