Moneypenny

• 1 year later...

I know dancers have been using jet glue on their shoes for decades, but you do have to wonder about the safety of this stuff when it's being used in contact with possibly open skin.  Blisters and abrasions can all let this stuff leech into the body. :( 

I'm a nail tech, and I use cyanoacrylate adhesives as tip glue.  The stuff bothers my asthma something awful, so I have to use it quickly and put it away (nail acrylic smells worse but doesn't bother me to the same extent).  In my profession, we are all instructed to take precautions and use proper ventilation when using any sort of adhesive... do dance teachers and pointe shoe suppliers teach this when strengthening pointe shoes with jet glue?  

I hope so!

It reminds me a bit of when I had to take a COSHA course on dealing with hazardous substances and chemicals.  One of the examples was acetone, and they asked us what we should do if a member of staff has an exposure to acetone.  The rest of the people in the course were warehouse and factory workers.... they all felt it needed a brisk wash with lots of soap and water, and possibly a dr visit.  Meanwhile, we nail technicians dip people's nails in acetone on purpose.  

Stay safe with this stuff.  Seriously, cyanoacrylates are dangerous if they aren't used carefully.

• Like 3

The runny glue (Daniel's) is great for localised application; e.g. Just hardening the wings or dropping into the very bottom of the box.   For generalised "swirling" around the entire box, Shellac is better.  Depends what you want it for. :)

• Like 1

After trying without success to buy jet glue/hot stuff glue/etc that ships to Aus without insane shipping costs, I have given up and bought normal superglue. I did a bit of research though, found a glue that was a cyanoacrylate liquid (not gel) for porous surfaces in a larger bottle with a long neck for easier application. It looks identical to the jet glue bottle with a different brand on the front and was under £3 from the local hardware store. I have just used it on my shoes this morning so can't confirm the effectiveness yet (also I've never glued by shoes before so I don't even know if I did it right), but if you are having difficulty sourcing glue then with some research you might find some that works just as well but without the added 'dance tax' that a lot of dance specific products seem to attract.

• Like 3