Bolshoi Ballet, Don Quixote, Royal Opera House, 2016

I understood Filin did the casting one of his final jobs. As suggested by Bruce it would have been better to let the experienced Anna Tikhomirova do Kitri last night in fairness to the paying audience and Ovcharenko. I spoke to her and she confirmed she does dance Kitri. 

If Filin did the casting, why did Vaziev say otherwise in an interview? And why has he subsequently spoken of being impressed with Shrainer's work ethic and deciding to give her her chance on this basis? Why, also, has he made much (in interviews associated with this tour) of his desire to give all dancers, including the more junior ones, something to aim for - and used the opportunity afforded Shrainer as an example of this approach?

I think that I now understand better why Japanese promoters insist that only Principals be cast by touring companies (e.g. the RB) in leading roles!!!!!!!

It must have been hard for Tikhomirova and others to watch last night. I was near to the stage and some of the facial expressions of the 'bystanders' (especially in Act 3) spoke volumes.

• Like 1

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

The whole thing was a bit peculiar last night. I took a friend who frequently films live performances, and he was laughing at the lighting. Flick switch, lights on, flick switch, lights off (too early in most cases!). Did a lightbulb explode at one point, and there was a lot of odd curtain faffing, and someone should tell the man in the wings in the grey t shirt waving his arms about in encouragement throughout the performance ttha many of us could see him!

Very much appreciate reading about these performances. Thank to everyone posting.

Kretova--not on this tour to London I think?--is also a skilled and charming Bolshoi Kitri. At least I found her so. (There are others, of course, but a number are on maternity leave as may already have been mentioned.)

Vaziev has also indicated in interviews that he was the one who first cast Smirnova as Kitri and now thinks she 'was born' to dance the role. Interviews are not always altogether candid and, not being lucky enough to see any of these London performances, I have no opinion about the casting, but I tend to think it does reflect his choices...

Of course, sometimes the young, unknown, non-principal dancer turns out to be the tour sensation!

Edited by DrewCo

The Don Q run reminded me that I'm just not a particular fan of the ballet itself unless it's amazingly cast all the way through.

I missed the Alexandrova due to work (boo) but saw the other 3 performances.

Smirnova is not a Kitri, but I won't hold it against her since I adored her casual tambourine shaking during the one handed lift and there was much to enjoy in the last two acts.

Krysanova and Chudin could perhaps have done with a little more onstage chemistry, but my o my, the dancing...the fouettes...the sheer loveliness of their movement.

I can see the potential of Shrainer. She has gumption and quite some ballon, but she isn't refined enough yet to be thrown to the wolves. Personally, I'd be very put out with the RB if they did something like this to any of their promising new dancers - debuts are for the home crowd who will appreciate seeing a company member getting a chance, overlook a few missteps based on knowing the dancers, and will (hopefully) provide a warm and supportive atmosphere for a debutant.

If the Bolshoi wants to debut their dancers away from home, they need to put on half price matinees whilst on tour to make sure they don't create a hostile audience who resents not 'getting what they paid for'.

And I strongly agree with posters who have already mentioned Daria Khokhlova's lovely Cupid and Anna Tikhomirova's Streetdancer/Grand Pas - they brought real panache to their parts and I hope they'll pop up all over the place for the rest of the tour.

• Like 5

You have been braver than I dared to be BruceWall  and Barton22!!!! I considered missing the last act because my enjoyment was so impaired by being nervous for Shrainer and worried for Ovcharenko.

Doesn't Vaziev (still) appreciate that London is used to absolutely top notch performances and the ROH audience has very high expectations? I doubt that we shall see a review of last night's show from Clement Crisp (who was there!).

It would seem that he doesn't care as long as the money comes in.  This is the first year I haven't booked to see whichever Russian company is guesting.  I just got fed up with the prices, and the messing around with the cast.  I would have been well annoyed to have paid top dollar to watch a dancer who was unable to give of her best.  I think Clement Crisp SHOULD review it and shame whoever let this happen.

...I adored her casual tambourine shaking during the one handed lift ...

...And I strongly agree with posters who have already mentioned Daria Khokhlova's lovely Cupid and Anna Tikhomirova's Streetdancer/Grand Pas - they brought real panache to their parts and I hope they'll pop up all over the place for the rest of the tour.

that tambourine shaking was lovely - so nonchalant!

Daria Khokhlova was one of the Prince's friends at yesterday's matinee, I don't know which one she was but they were both lovely.

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...

I saw Don Q in Russia and I didn't like their version as much as the ABT version with Baryshnikov (my yard stick for comparisons!) as I found there to be too much character work.  Perhaps it's just me?????

I don't know DiL, personal preference makes us all different - and thank goodness for that.  I haven't seen this Bolshoi production so can't comment on it but my personal preference is for 2 very different productions:  the one by Christopher Gable for Northern Ballet and Alicia Alonso's which I have seen performed by both the Cuban Ballet and RDB.

• Like 1

Yes, I remember the Northern ballet Don Q though it was quite a few years ago. if I remember rightly it was split up into 3 different acts, featuring 3 separate stories from Don Q and not concentrating solely on the Kitri/Basil romance. The fabulous Jeremy Kerridge was Sancho Panza and he played it just like Moore Marriott (the elderly man in the Will Hay films). I always wanted to ask him if he deliberately based the character on Moore Marriott or if that was just my interpretation.

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

I saw Don Q in Russia and I didn't like their version as much as the ABT version with Baryshnikov (my yard stick for comparisons!) as I found there to be too much character work.  Perhaps it's just me?????

I was deeply disappointed with the ABT version with Baryshnikov when I first saw it many years ago. Showy in a shallow way, not an iota of elegance.