Paris Opera Ballet Summer Intensive 2016

Pointeyourtoes

My daughter did a video and we sent it in to Paris Opera. I received an email saying they would give results by 2/12. But then I received another email saying my creit card did not go through...I didn't factor in the difference in how expiration dates are displayed in English vs. French on their form. I tried to clear it up, but honestly have no idea whether it ever worked out (after several attempts at email/calls). So I'm not even sure that the application went through...I ended up photo copying my credit card and mailing!

I have heard this program is extremely selective...much like RBS summer school. But I'm new to all of this so not entirely sure. My daughter is just 9 and not in a vocational school. She works hard, but I think it's a serious long shot! She's been accepted to a few programs here in the US that have deposit deadlines approaching, so it would be nice to know...

My daughter applied this year and the last one. Last year she attended the junior course who is the lowest and the only one opened to children aged 11 and under. Fingers crossed...the results will be released February 12th.

vmmom...congratulations to your daughter on attending last year! Last year, did POB also set a date when they would notify applicants of results? And if so, were they pretty firm with that date or was notification given before/after? We have looming deadlines for deposits at other programs, all before the POB stated date of 2/12.

Edited by Spencedance
  • Like 1

vmmom...congratulations to your daughter on attending last year! Last year, did POB also set a date when they would notify applicants of results? And if so, were they pretty firm with that date or was notification given before/after? We have looming deadlines for deposits at other programs, all before the POB stated date of 2/12.

Thanks Spencedance. They set the same date (February 12th) but due to the "tremendous amount" of applications they set a new date (February 17th). I hope this year they will send the results on time, I have a deadline too! :huh:  :unsure:

My dd applied via video last year and was accepted. It was the best 2 weeks of her life, quite an amazing program. It is hard to get into, but who knows what criteria they are looking for. There seemed to be a good range of students from many different countries. 

• Like 1

Is it expensive? I have some talented kids who might be interested, obviously for next year now, but certainly cost would need to be taken into consideration.

It is not expensive for what it is but it is 1000 euros for 1 week, and 1900 euros for 2 weeks. If you do not want to board (like me), it is 700 for 1 week and 1300 for 2 weeks.
  • Like 1

My dd applied via video last year and was accepted. It was the best 2 weeks of her life, quite an amazing program. It is hard to get into, but who knows what criteria they are looking for. There seemed to be a good range of students from many different countries.

What level was your dd placed in? How old is she? I am wondering what level I would be in being 13 if I got in.

My dd had just turned 18 and was in the Superior Pro group, which is the highest level. The levels were not strictly by age, so there were 18 year olds in the Pro level too. I don't think it really matters what level you are in, the tuition is excellent for all levels. We were allowed to watch a demonstration on the final day and they all showed some lovely work.

What terrific news. Congratulations. Are all the classes going to be taught in the French language?

Last year my daughter was able to learn some very basic French too ;). She was in a room with two English-speaking girls so she refreshed her English! The class was directed in both languages (mainly French) but since all the ballet terms are in French she was fine. She was in Junior class.

• 1 month later...

Hello. I am new here and thankful for a place to ask questions! My daughter is on the wait list for Paris Opera. Has anyone had any luck with being called off the wait list? We are spending the summer in France so my daughter will not be dancing with another program. We are just keeping our fingers crossed. Would anyone that has been accepted mind sharing the list of what they ask the dancers to bring? I would like to pack for our trip & take along everything she needs just in case and not have to do any last minute shopping in France.

Thank you!

Janice

Janiceannej

The starting pack doesn't include a list of kit but there is a comment that a complete "trousseau" will be sent in June. The leotard is plain black for the higher classes and pink for the lower.  

• Like 1