Paris Opera Ballet Summer Intensive 2016

Pointeyourtoes

Hello. I am new here and thankful for a place to ask questions! My daughter is on the wait list for Paris Opera. Has anyone had any luck with being called off the wait list? We are spending the summer in France so my daughter will not be dancing with another program. We are just keeping our fingers crossed. Would anyone that has been accepted mind sharing the list of what they ask the dancers to bring? I would like to pack for our trip & take along everything she needs just in case and not have to do any last minute shopping in France.

Thank you!

Janice

Hi Janice. The Paris Opèra Ballet School called two girls from my daughter's school from the WL right after the first results popped out. I hope some places can be available if someone declined at the very last minute (yesterday was the payment dead end).

The most unpratical thing to pack in the trousseau are the bed stuff (blanket, sheets and pillow ) who are very bulky, expecially if you travel with only one luggage as we did last year ;)

• Like 2

Thank you vmmom, that helps to know the payment was due yesterday. If we don't hear anything next week then it will be unlikely she'll be called to go. The letter they sent told us to be prepared to be called off the wait list even the day before the program starts so I will still pack everything in our luggage just in case.

It is also helpful to know she would need bedding. Sometimes here in the US the girls need to take bedding, towels, etc, but sometimes they stay in a hotel where those things are provided. I think I need to use a big suitcase!

Thanks again!

Janice

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Hello vmmom

I think we will be seeing you here too

My daughter is doing both royals and Paris opera we must be doing the same weeks

My dd will be in the junior class as she's only 10

That will be nice knowing someone from her first summer school

Take care

• Like 2

Hello vmmom

I think we will be seeing you here too

My daughter is doing both royals and Paris opera we must be doing the same weeks

My dd will be in the junior class as she's only 10

That will be nice knowing someone from her first summer school

Take care

Life, this is awesome! My daughter was in the junior class last year.

This year she is doing both week1 and 2, and we will "commute" to London from Paris ;) .

• 8 months later...

Has anyone ever applied to do this?? My daughter has applied for RBS SS & thought this one would be an amazing opportunity. You have to include a video so will talk to her teacher. She is Year 5, 10 in April not on pointe but that all seems fine. Do you think you have to be the most amazing dancer ever?? She has done Grade 1 & Grade 2 Russian Ballet exams & got a distinction in both. She would be fine staying away from home but think its in school time or is this the most ridiculous idea ever!!! and a waste of more money to apply! You have to do pirouettes in the video she has only just started learning these so not sure how great she would be at that.but rest of the exercises look ok

Hi Flowerpot, my 9 year old daughter has just done RAD Grade 2 and would love to do the PO SS I am keen to apply on her behalf but haven't yet (fortnight to go!!) as I worry she won't be up to the standard required as she hasn't started on pirouettes yet. Also the height and weight guidelines for the vocational school seem tiny so hope this isn't held against her, she's tall and lean and way taller than their criteria. I will try and get the filming done and just keep fingers crossed...Good luck to your dd...

Well I braved it & asked her teacher who said her chances of getting in were nil!!! just because its even harder to get into than the Royal Ballet & the standard expected is really high!!!! & the people they choose are ones at vocational school. Is this true??? does anyone have any success stories of going to SS & only going to dance classes after school at the weekend? her teacher suggested Elmhurst but that seems to say you have to be 11 to apply & she is only 10 in April.

I asked my DD teacher about doing a film for this to send off & she said chances of getting in are practically nil as harder than the Royal & they mainly take people who are already at vocational school is this correct??? she is 10 in April & surely not all 10 year olds are at secondary school yet? daughter got SWL for Year 5 JA's last year & has done Grade 1 & Grade 2 Distinction in both.Don't want to nag her teacher but feel you have 'to be in it to win it' I am sure she probably wouldn't get in but its only 36 Euros & surely you have to try these things!!!!!!!!!!!!

Any positive stories of people getting in who are not at vocational school much appreciated!

Well I braved it & asked her teacher who said her chances of getting in were nil!!! just because its even harder to get into than the Royal Ballet & the standard expected is really high!!!! & the people they choose are ones at vocational school. Is this true??? does anyone have any success stories of going to SS & only going to dance classes after school at the weekend? her teacher suggested Elmhurst but that seems to say you have to be 11 to apply & she is only 10 in April.

Yes Flowerpot, our DD went to RB SS two years on the trot, and wasn't at a vocational school, just a JA. There are some really talented dancers, not neccessarily at a vocational school getting very good training. I don't think anyone really knows the criteria for being selected, it might be just pot luck as there must be so many boys and girls with the same looks, body shape and ability. 

also looked on the weight/height guide.My daughter is 9 4'56'' & 69.5lbs which makes her too big & also too heavy even for an 11 year old which seems so hard to believe as there is literally no fat on her at all (unlike me!!) she is naturally so lean & slim & can eat whatever she wants must be all the dancing.cannot quite believe how small you have to be.If she was any slimmer for her height she would look ill.

It does say on the website FAQs that they don't apply the height and weight criteria for summer school applicants and that auditions for the school are completely separate so it might not be worth ruling out just on that basis? Good luck if you do go for it.

• Like 1

Perhaps we might wait this year. Her ballet teacher is excellent a lovely Russian lady. My daughter did not get the JA thing last year just SWL so maybe we will wait & see what happens this year & cross fingers for RBS SS.was your daughter a JA both times when she got the SS?

Yes she was Flowerpot, but not too sure whether that would make any difference at all, like I said it seems to be pot luck if they meet all that's required of them of course.

• 3 months later...
  • Jan McNulty changed the title to Paris Opera Ballet Summer Intensive 2016