ROH The Nutcracker - Seats and cast suggestion

Dear All,

Thank you in advance for any suggestion you might want to provide me with.

Time has come for my wife and I to see a Ballet at ROH (it's actually gonna be a surprise for her). We just have a few days off work during the first week of January 2016. We have basically two options:

Wednesday 6th - Takada, Hristov, Gartside, Maguire, Acri, Levitin

Friday 8th - Nuñez, Montagirov, Avis, Hayward, Zucchetti, Levitin

As far as I ma aware, Friday cast is more renowned and expert. However, seats available are just a few and we might have some problems with our schedule, having to fly out early in the next morning.

Would wednesday cast be good as well? What do you honestly think?

Should wednesday be our night at ROH, I need to reserve our seats. I have read that orchestra stalls might not grant a pretty clear view of the scene (apart from price issue). I was thinking of seating in the amphitheater, and benefit from the bird-eye view from there. B55/B56 are still available. Again, your opinion?

Thank you again for your help.

Edited by Gianlu

Takada and Hristov are first soloists whereas Nunez and muntagirov are principals so the latter two are of a higher rank, but there are no poor dancers at the RB. As far as seating, stalls circle for me, get the best you can afford, some of the cheaper ones down the side have a restricted view.

Hope you enjoy

Good morning, Gianlu, and welcome to the forum.

I must admit, there are a lot of posters on here who go to the Nutcracker a lot more than I do, and who will be better placed to advise you, cast-wise.  I'm not sure I've seen any of the Wednesday cast, although I'm sure Emma Maguire would make a fine Clara.  Based on cast alone, my inclination would certainly be to go for the Friday one, most of whom I have seen, but then when you think of it the Sugar Plum Fairy and her Cavalier are probably only on stage for about 15 minutes in total anyway, so it really is a company ballet, and I'm sure there'll be plenty to enjoy regardless of who's dancing.

As for sightlines, yes, front stalls still aren't briliiant for viewing from, in my opinion: I think the consensus on here in the past has been that you should ideally sit row H or back.  It will depend on your height, as well, because if you're not particularly tall you might have problems seeing over the people in front of you.  Front amphi is good sightwise and sound-wise, although I've sat in the side blocks of row B and found them short on legroom.  OTOH, it is rather far up (and you have to descend 7 rows from the entrance), so generally not suitable for people with vertigo.

I'm sure plenty of other people will be chipping in with suggestions - in fact, someone has while I've been writing this.  Good luck!

• Like 1

As far as seating, stalls circle for me, get the best you can afford, some of the cheaper ones down the side have a restricted view.

Oh, yes, check the view from the seats offered on the website when you book, and bear in mind that the stage is rectangular and deep, so you need to mentally plot where it is over the photo - you may have a complete view of the proscenium arch, but that doesn't mean you'll be able to see all of the stage behind it.

Is there anything left in the balcony?  That would get you a bit nearer to the action.

I think with a ballet such as the Nutcracker, it doesn't really matter which cast you see, the Principals have very little dancing when you think of the length of the ballet. They don't appear until the second act, and then I think they get about 10 minutes on the stage.   All casts will be good, so I would go for the Wednesday performance if it is more convenient. 

As far as seats are concerned,if you sit in the Amphitheatre, you will get a good view of the overall patterns created in the group dances, such as the Snowflakes, but all the dancers look about 2 inches high from that height.  If you go up there, then I prefer to be in the middle, somewhere near the front, so I don't feel too distanced from all the action. 

If you want to see the faces of the main dancers more clearly, then you need to sit a bit lower down, where you will still see the overall dances, but have a more personal contact with the soloists. 

Personally, if money is no issue, I would go for the Orchestra Stalls.  I like the middle of the stalls somewhere about row H or thereabouts.  There may be occasional problems if someone in front bobs about, but it should be fine otherwise. 

And there is something luxurious about being in the stalls, as you can look around you and get the feel of the whole auditorium. 

• Like 3

Many people book on the basis of who is cast for Clara and Hans Peter as they are on stage for most of the ballet whereas, as is said above, the Sugar Plum Fairy and the Prince appear only briefly at the end.  You are spoilt for choice with Maguire/Acri and Hayward/Zuchetti. Both will be lovely.

• Like 4

Thank you so much for your precious help.

So, given that both cast will be fine, especially considering the ballet we are talking about, I' m pretty sure I'll go for wednesday. There are lots of available seats so far Is it usual?... I would not really like to seat in an empty auditorium... Is that a possible risk?

As for seats, B55/B56 in the amphitheater, they're right in the middle. https://www.roh.org.uk/events/29102/tickets?q=00000000-0000-0000-0000-000000000000&p=a3d9b4e9-9295-45c3-a946-a19d0f9a3e1b&ts=1445938098&c=rohuk&e=201516bp2general&rt=Disabled&h=518d075ffba8c5161df96622a79c822c

And these are seats available in the orchestra stalls: https://www.roh.org.uk/events/29102/tickets?q=00000000-0000-0000-0000-000000000000&p=a3d9b4e9-9295-45c3-a946-a19d0f9a3e1b&ts=1445938098&c=rohuk&e=201516bp2general&rt=Disabled&h=518d075ffba8c5161df96622a79c822c

I know I am asking too much, but based on the links above, what could be a good choice?

Thank you!

Well, you have very little choice for the Friday apart from rear side orchestra stalls (which might not be at all bad).

I guess it's going to depend on your budget, really: there are seats at a variety of prices for the Wednesday.  You do need to be aware that if you sit in the central sections of the tiers you are a fair way from the action, and of course the further you move round the sides to get closer to the stage the more of a viewing restriction you have.  Also, the sound underneath the tiers may be a little muted compared with what you'd get in the orchestra stalls or front amphitheatre.

Personally, I think I'd go for one of the following: side(ish) stalls circle (somewhere on the curve, maybe), central balcony (the back row is cheaper, and not bad, although the seats are rather on the high side, and come with a footrest which would force you to sit with your knees at quite a sharp angle if you wanted to use it - there should be a picture of the seat type along with your view when you book online), or front amphi.  I do like a bit of height relative to the stage, so that you can see over the heads of the dancers at the front, but apart from the Snowflakes I can't think of much in this Nutcracker production which really needs to be seen from on high.

As for the risk of sitting in an empty auditorium - forget it!  The ROH are very canny with their scheduling of Nutcracker, and always manage to arrange it so that the theatre is at least 99% sold.  It's just that some performances will take longer to sell than others.  Nunez and Muntagirov are very big draws, and a Friday night is always popular, too, because the children don't have to be up early for school the next day.

I've booked to see the performance on Friday 8/1/16 because of the cast, but agree with posters above - I'd be very happy to see the Wednesday cast.

Personally I've found I prefer to see ballet from a higher viewpoint - especially ballets which have a lot happening on stage & many dancers / crowd scenes. I've tried front of stalls & also top price stalls circle, but now tend to sit in the Amphi (good for my bank balance!) or occasionally the Balcony. Although weirdly, if I'm seeing a play somewhere, I like stalls seats closer to the stage. 

As others have mentioned, I've also heard from people who've experienced it that the view from the ROH Stalls seats can be obstructed by heads in front. 

That said, I've found the same with Row B of the Amphi at times, due to people leaning forward in Row A. But that's less likely to happen in the central block of Row B.

The other aspect that you might want to consider is whether the seats have armrests or not. As it can get quite cosy with your neighbours up in the Amphi! 

So if I were choosing for the Wednesday, I'd personally go for either the central Balcony or the central block of the Amphi, probably Row C or D.  

If choosing from the very few seats left on the Friday, I'd choose Amphi F40 & 41 as I've sat in that area before & was happy with my view for the price.

That said, definitely look at the photos of the stage view & of the seats before buying to make sure they'll suit you! 

And if viewing from the Amphi / Balcony, I'd recommend taking opera glasses / binoculars for when you want close ups  :)

I hope you & your wife have a wonderful time wherever you choose to sit.

Edited for clarification

Edited by Indigo
  • Like 1

Wow, I wasn't expecting such a quick and helpful support. Thank you all so much.

So, if it were amphi, Row C or D, better thai B, central block. Right?

Final question: row E, orchestra stalls, is too close, isn'it?

Thank you all

So, if it were amphi, Row C or D, better thai B, central block. Right?

Not sure that it would necessarily be.   It's really the side blocks where people leaning forward is an issue.  I think.  My budget rarely allows me to sit in the amphi central block anyway, so I'd wait for more expert opinion.

It's really the side blocks where people leaning forward is an issue.  I think.  

Yes, it's been when I was sitting in the Amphi Row B side blocks that it's been an issue. I've only once sat in Row B central & all was fine on that occasion, but I made a mental note that I preferred Row C or D central instead. Can't remember why exactly! I've a feeling it might be to do with the way the seats are staggered, but I'll have to look again when I'm at the ROH on Saturday to try to jog my memory further. ^_^

Seat preference is very subjective.

Don't forget to consider the Balcony, Gianlu!

On the 8th Jan, there's also a pre-performance talk at 6:30 pm. Tickets are just £5:

https://www.roh.org.uk/events/29888/tickets

I've not attended a pre-performance talk at the ROH before. Can anyone recommend them?

My previous experiences of pre-performance talks at other venues for opera & classical music have not been fantastic. Nothing I couldn't really have got from a quick look on the internet / wiki.

Thank you all for your help, I really appreciated. I'm sure it's gonna be some special occasion; whatever the seats. But now I have definitely all I need to make a good choice.

As for the pre-performance talk, I'd love to attend it but will be already back home, in Italy.

Edit: I messed up, we might attend it, thanks!

Have a good day you all!

Edited by Gianlu

Personally, I think row E in the stalls is a bit too close.  While I want to see the expressions on the dancers' faces, I don't really want to see the sweat flying in all directions as they leap and turn! 

I've never sat in Row B in the amphitheatre, usually a little further back, but as close to the middle as I can get, if I can afford it.  Be aware, as others have said, that the incline is very steep, and some people find actually climbing down to their seats a little daunting.

The worst sightlines in the Amphitheatre are at the extreme edges of the side blocks and the problem extends beyond the seats that are officially designated as restricted view.Generally the Amphi is fine as far as sightlines are concerned although the rearrangement of the seats after the major restoration straightened the lines of seats up so that each seat is more obviously placed behind the one in front of it than was the case before the house closed.I have never been able to decide whether the reconfiguration occurred because those responsible were trying to squeeze in more seats or whether it was because they thought they knew better than the people who had been responsible for arranging the seats after the Amphi was remodelled in the 1960's.Whatever the reason even in the sections that officially have good sightlines the activities of those in front of you seem to have a greater impact on your enjoyment of a performance than was formerly the case.

If you find that people sitting in front of you in the Amphitheatre are leaning forward and blocking your view you can always ask them to sit back in their seats.They are usually blissfully unaware that they are blocking your view of the stage.The same goes for audience members who are unable to sit still or who keep moving their heads.Ask them to sit still.It usually works.

Edited by FLOSS
  • Like 1

The same goes for audience members who are unable to sit still or who keep moving their heads.Ask them to sit still.It usually works.

As long as you do it nicely, as opposed to letting the frustration build up to such an extent that you get a bit rude/terse etc. :)

The only problem is that because of the seating layout you may not be able to make direct contact with the person you need to talk to, e.g. if you're in Row C and it's the people further round in A who are being problematic.

• Like 1

If i stayed in row B of The amphi, I would need to "tell off" just who would be seating in front of me. Sounds not impossible.

But it's still tough to choose between these seats or orchestra stall row E (even if I'm rightly told it might be too close)...!

If i stayed in row B of The amphi, I would need to "tell off" just who would be seating in front of me. Sounds not impossible.

But it's still tough to choose between these seats or orchestra stall row E (even if I'm rightly told it might be too close)...!

I'd be very surprised if you had a problem in row B  in the centre block of the amphitheatre as the rake is very good there - i.e. row B is quite a bit higher than row A.  In addition, people in row A in the centre block have no need to lean forward as, unlike those in the side blocks,  they are not affected by the curvature of the amphitheatre tier ledge.

I would have thought that, unless you are tall, you'd have more of a problem in row E of the stalls as, although I've never sat there myself, I've been told that  the rake between D and E is not very good.

I would have thought that, unless you are tall, you'd have more of a problem in row E of the stalls as, although I've never sat there myself, I've been told that  the rake between D and E is not very good.

I've never actually sat in row E either, Bluebird.  Usually because by the time I get around to booking, the seats nearer the front have gone.   It may be fine but I couldn't say. 

Having said that, I've just gone on the ROH website, clicked on a seat in Row E, and had a look at the view from that seat.  It looks all right to me, but obviously the picture has been taken in an empty theatre.   And from the perspective, it looks as if the photographer might have been a very tall person!

It certainly isn't in D, and I doubt it changes greatly between D and E.

If it's a choice between stalls E and Amphi B I'd go Amphi..the music sounds better up in the Amphi too. I'd be wary in stalls E too in case you cannot see the dancers' feet, you definitely cannot in row A stalls, I was so annoyed when I sat there once, never again. If you cannot see the feet what is the point of going?! If it was my choice I'd go Amphi.

I sit in the Orch Stalls a lot and being only 5'1" this can be a challenge  I always sit on my coat. Sitting near the front - anything before Row H is tricky in that you can miss the dancers' feet.  On the other hand, you see their faces and I love that. I find that the side seats can actually be better for a view than the middle, as the angle seems to circumvent some heads. 

Depends what you want - an overall view of the ballet is better further back and higher.  My personal preference is to see the dancers' faces. 

I've tried most seats in the House over the years, and generally you get what you pay for, but it's true that you can pay top price in the Orch Stalls and get someone really tall in front of you - that equals view ruined.