Elmhurst associates - Birmingham royal ballet, nutcracker

balletmum20

My daughter had her 1st class at elmhurst associates last Saturday, and in that class someone from the Birmingham royal ballet came to watch part of the class looking for children to perform in the nutcracker, I did not think anything of this, but yesterday I received an email from Birmingham royal ballet offering my daughter a place in the nutcracker for Christmas, firstly has anybody ever done this before, and what will she have to do? The schedule is very heavy and they need my 100% commitment, and I live 70 miles away, don't know what to do x

• Like 11

My DS did this and it was well worth it ! However as you say it's a busy schedule....the BRB did help with accommodation at the time and it was easier for us as he was at Elmhurst at the time , but it will be an unforgettable experience !

Forgot to say - They play the role of the children at the Christmas party and there is a fair bit of simple dancing and acting

For which they are on stage most of the first act if I remember correctly.the costumes are great fun too !

Edited by Billyelliott
  • Like 1

You need to find out what's involved time- and rehearsal-wise. My dd performed in a gala production of ENB's Nutcracker a couple of years ago and there were weekly rehearsals for four months plus several all day rehearsals nearer the time. I had to take my dd out of lessons early a couple of times so that I could be sure of arriving on time for the rehearsals (being late was really frowned upon and I wouldn't have dared missing a rehearsal). It was a lovely experience for my dd but I found it a heavy commitment and we only had to travel a couple of miles into Central London (heavy traffic and the unreliability of public transport were the problem rather than the distance). Check when and where the rehearsals will be and make sure that you can realistically get there without too much stress at that time of day, taking account of the likely traffic (do a test run), particularly if the rehearsals are late afternoon or early evening on a weekday.

Edited by aileen
  • Like 1

70 miles though! Where do you live? My DD was in it and it was pretty exhausting.  

She did go on to WL following that so it Is a really positive sign for her future training.  All the children I know who have done it have gone on to be successful in further training (if they chose to)

I don't have any advice sorry, and I can see it is all a bit of a dilemma, but just wanted to say well done to your DD. What a fantastic opportunity to be offered and to have been picked out on her very first day there ....wow, that is brilliant and sounds like a very good sign for the future.

• Like 3

Dd was invited to do Nutcracker some years ago when she was a JA and I remember her being gutted that we had to turn it down because we would have had to miss one or two rehearsals due to holiday. It was either all or nothing in terms of commitment to rehearsals.

Although it's a wonderful opportunity to gain get stage experience with the BRB, the choice of child is based largely on their small size to fit into the existing costumes !

The fact that many previous children who have taken part go on to dance at vocational schools or as professionals is probably circumstantial, as the company usually look at yr 7 small children at Elmhurst and then Elmhurst JA's etc. as they are nearby etc....there is little actual ballet technique involved . Have a look at u tube for the scene with the the children's party with the magician to see what they will be doing .

• Like 2

My youngest DD did Nutcracker with BRB and my eldest went on tour with BRB when she was 10. Our journey was 160 mile round trip. I work full time, but all the family pitched in to help out. All expenses were reimbursed and the rehearsal schedule and castings were well mapped out in advance...it's a professional company after all. None of us would have missed it for the world. Both DD's are at vocational school, eldest now in sixth form training. Congratulations to your DD! Go for it, this particular opportunity won't happen again. It's well worth it as they are on stage for the whole of the first act.

• Like 6

Although it's a wonderful opportunity to gain get stage experience with the BRB, the choice of child is based largely on their small size to fit into the existing costumes !

The fact that many previous children who have taken part go on to dance at vocational schools or as professionals is probably circumstantial, as the company usually look at yr 7 small children at Elmhurst and then Elmhurst JA's etc. as they are nearby etc....there is little actual ballet technique involved . Have a look at u tube for the scene with the the children's party with the magician to see what they will be doing . 

I think that's rather a harsh way of looking at it.  The party children's dance is beautiful and the year 7 children at WL Summer Fair do exactly that after weeks of rehearsals.  Yes, size does have a part to play but then it has a part to play in auditions through a child's training.  To suggest that BRB don't have a good eye for potential (albeit for their own forthcoming Christmas production) sounds like sour grapes.  

I have one DD who did get the opportunity and one who didn't.  The same height/look at the time of 'audition' but one DD had a more honed technique at the time

• Like 2

Sorry Billy Elliot I disagree with your comment about technique. While the steps are simple they have to executed beautifully...with good technique. Yes costumes are a major consideration, but so is performance quality (which your DS has in abundance!).

You are quite right ! I was not at all careful about what I said as opposed to what I meant! - there is no advanced technique required , but definitely a strong technique needed in the way that the simple steps are performed cleanly and precisely - as well as performance skills !

• Like 1

Balletmum20

Congratulations to your dd! I think the key has to be whether you can manage it.

Your personal circumstances are most relevant - ie job, other siblings, others to care for, family help etc etc. I have done long journeys for Associates and in retrospect it was too much for me and dc. It is an amazing opportunity but won't feel like it if you are half dead trying to do it. It won't influence her vocational school options (if she wants that). Tricky decision. ...

• Like 2

When my DD was in another professional performance when she was 6 and I had a four year old and a three year old, as a single parent, had to manage every journey myself.  I would have to take her to school in the morning, then to rehearsals 30 miles away, back home to collect the young ones and then back again at night to collect her.  I fell asleep at the wheel more than once -_- ....

Oh dear ! No!

No sour grapes whatsoever!

I'm a huge fan of the BRB and my son has been extremely fortunate to have been in several other productions , not only with BRB , I was simply concerned that this comment :-

She did go on to WL following that so it Is a really positive sign for her future training.  All the children I know who have done it have gone on to be successful in further training (if they chose to)

Might lead some to believe that taking part,might have some influence in their chances of further training etc .

I don't think that should be a factor in deciding if the commitment and major effort on the parents behalf was worth it!

I'd hate anyone to think that by turning it down for good practical reasons they were influencing chances in future training.

That is why I was pointing out that a big factor is the available costume size and we were In fact told that at the auditions !

Not in any way to detract from the honour of being selected to take part !

• Like 5

Sorry Billyelliot I get your point now....and yes nobody should ever feel that they are risking their child's future if they are unable to allow them to take part.

Being chosen IS a positive sign...that isn't taken away if the child can't take part.  The recognition of potential will remain.

My statement was one of fact from my own perspective

Taking part in a BRB performance, you will probably agree, can be life changing.  It can help a child one way or the other, decide whether they wish to aim for a career in ballet.

I once had someone tell me that my DD had been given a part because they 'always have to have a darker skinned child'.  I was appalled.  

My DD's have also been at the wrong end of the 'only the smaller girls get parts' fact so maybe I am sensitive to that comment.  That is just a fact in ballet, the children have to be smaller than the BRB dancers who may only be 5,2 ish themselves.  However, in the Nutcracker, my DD was the tallest in her class

• Like 2

Congratulations to your DD Balletmum20. My DD would love to take part if she had a chance. They have been told that probably nobody from Elmhurst Y7 will get a place this year as the costumes are very small. So far I haven't hear about any lucky Y7 children so maybe it will be just associates this year. I remember from some years ago that they also take children (or used to) from RBS JA classes - so they obviously looked at a lot of children and really liked your DD, congratulations!

But, as other say, don't feel bad and guilty if you decide that it's too difficult for you to travel so far so often - there will be other opportunities :-)

Thanks everyone for the great advice and lovely stories! We have decided to do it, although it is a massive commitment my daughter really wants to do it, and we may never have this chance to to it again! Family and friends have all offered to help as I have 2 other children and I work full time, I won't lie it will be very hard, but it's a month and a half and maybe a once in a life time opportunity xxx I'm very excited now and at least it will take my mind of the rollercoaster ride of the audition process! ????????

• Like 12

I know you won't regret it !

Especially when you sit and watch the performance for the first time and say to your neighbour - that's my girl ! - with tissues in hand . Get the best seats you can afford once you find out which cast she is in! When we did it we could get a few more for family members.

It was a very special night . Happy memories....

• Like 2

My daughter had her 1st class at elmhurst associates last Saturday, and in that class someone from the Birmingham royal ballet came to watch part of the class looking for children to perform in the nutcracker, I did not think anything of this, but yesterday I received an email from Birmingham royal ballet offering my daughter a place in the nutcracker for Christmas, firstly has anybody ever done this before, and what will she have to do? The schedule is very heavy and they need my 100% commitment, and I live 70 miles away, don't know what to do x

My daughter has also been selected.  74 mile round trip for us.  We are relying on a lot of help from family as I have another child to sort out.  We have decided that its a once in a lifetime opportunity and something she will remember forever.  I hope you are able to say yes and maybe we can spot each other when the madness begins.