Les Ballets Trockadero de Monte Carlo: London, September 2015

Better known simply as 'The Trocks', they perform two programmes in the Peacock Theatre, September 2015. The first program contains Paquita and The Dying Swan - and here are a few photos:

20863265173_1a8d20f71f_z.jpg
Paquita - Yekaterina Verbosovich (Chase Johnsey), Sergey Legupski (Giovanni Goffredo)
© Dave Morgan. Courtesy of DanceTabs / Flickr

21484309665_3518690423_z.jpg
Dying Swan - Eugenia Repelskii (Joshua Thake)

See more...
Set from DanceTabs: Trocks (Paquita, Dying Swan)
Courtesy of DanceTabs / Flickr

• Like 6

I also had the pleasure of seeing this entertaining company including the new Dying Swan - Joshua Thake. Here is my contribution for your enjoyment.

Trocks+-+Paquita+-+Peacock+-+Sept+2015_0

Yakaterina Verbosovich (Chase Johnsey), Sergey Legupski (Giovanni Goffredo), and company in Paquita 

Trocks+-+Paquita+-+Peacock+-+Sept+2015_1

Eugenia Repelsii (Joshua Thake) as the Dying Swan 

• Like 4

I've caught them already in this run.  It's a few years since they were last in London, but it strikes me that the technical standard has gone up even further for a number of the dancers.  In particular, Yekaterina Verbosovich, who I've admired since she joined the company, appears to be becoming a real ballerina.  I'm not quite sure why, but she kept reminding me of Marianela Nunez, which is a very high compliment.

I thought they'd brought the Esmeralda pas de six before, but don't remember it being like that ...

Really looking forward to the "new" Don Quixote and probably my all-time favourite, Go For Barocco, next week :)

• Like 8

I went on the opening night at the Peacock . It was all great fun but the technical skill was very impressive as well as the comic timing. I loved the dance of the cygnets. It was the first time that I have seen the Trocks and I am pleased that I went.

• Like 1

Chase Johnsey (Verbosavich) is a fabulous dancer he whipped off the best set of perfect 32 fouettes I've ever seen as Odile in the Black Swan pdd at The Lowry on their last tour. Really looking forward to seeing him again as well as all the others this weekend and next.

Edited by Don Q Fan
  • Like 2

Great fun .The programme notes are priceless and are, no doubt, the product of many years careful research in the archives. Is there a danger that the company is almost too good technically? Paquita was almost as good as the real thing. I am looking forward to the second programme.

I thought they'd brought the Esmeralda pas de six before, but don't remember it being like that ...

Really looking forward to the "new" Don Quixote and probably my all-time favourite, Go For Barocco, next week :)

I was surprised as well Alison as it wasn't what I expected. I've been mulling it over and I think last time around the pas de six was from La Vivandiere.

I agree the standard of dancing has come on amazingly. (Gosh I nearly wrote 'in leaps and bounds' ...ouch!) The 20 minute question session with Tory Drobrin after Wednesdays performance was an interesting bonus. I wish I had asked if they planned on bringing Giselle next time as I think that has to be my all time favourite of theirs.

Anyway we absolutely loved it...so much so we are taking a detour home from Luton on Saturday for another viewing of programme 1, and have tickets for next Wednesday's programme 2 and programme 3 at the Birmingham Hippodrome in November. Now wondering if we can make Cardiff as well......

• Like 1

This is a bit early but to whet your appetite to see this great bunch of dancers and give you a chance to book for programme 2 from Tuesday onwards, here are some pictures to encourage you to book.

Trocks%2B-%2BDon%2BQ%2B-%2BPeacock%2B-%2

Chase Johnsey (Yakaterina Verbosovich) as Kitri

Chase Johnsey as Kitri and Paolo Cervellera as Basil

Giovanni Goffredo and Joshua Thake as Gypsies

• Like 3

...and a few more photos from me.

21542323535_e94c1687f6_z.jpg
Don Quixote - Yakatarina Verbosovich (Chase Johnsey), Vyacheslav Legupski (Paolo Cervellera)

20919591144_53c71900c4_z.jpg
Don Quixote - Yakatarina Verbosovich (Chase Johnsey) as Kitri

See more...
Set from DanceTabs: Trocks (Don Quixote)
Courtesy of DanceTabs / Flickr

• Like 3

Thoroughly enjoyed yesterday's matinee - Swan Lake Act 2 was hilarious.  Comedy aside there was some pretty fantastic ballet on show especially some amazing fouettes and better still some fabulous Italian Fouettes!  I think Esmerelda was my least favourite piece.  The Le Corsaire pdd was fabulous show off dancing, Dying Swan - what can I say? and Paquita all brilliant.  I really admire these dancers because to add in all the comic bits as well is testatment to their dancing skill.  Really looking forward to next week's programme and especially the Trocks' very own version of Don Q.  I was finally able to meet a few dancers at stage door and thank them for the fun they have provided over the years.  Their make-up (left on for the evening performance) was something else up close!!  I could not make out if Chase Johnsey actually danced yesterday afternoon or not and I really hope he dances Kitri at the matinee next week as I think that will be magnificent.  If you have not booked or have never seen The Trocks - go you won't be disappointed:-)

• Like 4

I saw their programme two last night and, as expected, it was a fun and wonderful evening, with lots of laughs and fantastic dancing. The Trocks works for this very reason; that they can dance up a storm. I have been seeing them for almost 20 years and although some of the jokes never change, it doesn't matter because they are funny. I am not going to write anything more about it here because I don't want to spoil it for the 'newbies'. Suffice it to say that you are in for a great time!

I do need to have a little rant though....last night was press night, and the critics were given a programme and a cast sheet. When some of us asked if we could have a cast sheet, we were told no....all the info is in the programme and the sheets were just for the critics. So I asked them why, if all the info is in the programme, do the critics need cast sheets as well?? 'Buy a programme' was basically the answer. I think that is really naff. Not everyone can afford a programme, and it would have been nice for those people who don't know ballet very well to know what the pieces were, and who was dancing in them. A few old folks around me were wondering all night what the pieces were, who wrote the music, who was dancing, etc. On principle, I didn't buy a programme, but there were people who didn't buy a programme because they couldn't spend the money.

• Like 6

Well the programme was only £4 Sim and was excellent value. Colour photos throughout and humorous to boot. We have had great fun trying to identify the dancers through their alter-ego bios (both male and female) and then found there is actually a list of who is who hidden in the midst of it all. The really good news is that it covers all three programmes... in other words the entire Trocks tour. Our copy is already a little dog-eared and will be certainly well used by the time they leave.

What an absolutely cracking set of dancers they have these days and the audience have responded in kind. The dancing is simply fantastic and how three acts of Don Quixote has been condensed into one was simply genius.

If you haven't seen them yet, do try and get to one of their performances. You almost have to see it to believe it!

• Like 5

last night was press night, and the critics were given a programme and a cast sheet. When some of us asked if we could have a cast sheet, we were told no....all the info is in the programme and the sheets were just for the critics. So I asked them why, if all the info is in the programme, do the critics need cast sheets as well??

I remember actually borrowing a critic's cast sheet to have a look at some years ago.  I think it just contains the basic updated casting information including those cast changes - plus maybe the dancers' real names - so that they can be sure they're crediting the right people.  It wasn't a "professional" cast sheet as I'm used to finding with any of the usual ballet companies.  As for what they're performing, when I don't buy Trocks programmes (which is quite often) I just grab the flyer.  That tells you what they're performing.  And I see the programmes don't tell you everyone who's dancing anyway, just the leading soloists, often, so if you wanted to cross-reference the supporting dancers with their photos you'd still need the programme.

The really good news is that it covers all three programmes... in other words the entire Trocks tour.

It's not really 3 programmes, though, because the touring one is a combination of what they've been showing at the Peacock: I think it's Swan Lake, Patterns in Space, Go for Barocco and Don Q, presumably plus someone executing the Dying Swan.  Based on what I've seen so far, I can highly recommend it!

Well, getting on to the performance, despite unfortunately having to forgo the birthday meal beforehand that we'd arranged, my friend and I still very much enjoyed the Trocks.  The new Don Q is really great - it may be the best thing they've ever done!  I was disappointed that Yekaterina Verbosovich didn't appear in either of the previous two thirds of the programme, but soon understood why - they really have crammed it full of Kitri's solos etc.  I came very close to giving them a standing ovation at the end.

I'd still like to see them bring back their Giselle, though ...

Yes me too NottsBalletLover nice to see you. What a show and what nice people they are!!!

Thanks Don Q Fan - not sure I would have hung around at stage door if you hadn't been there! As both Don Q Fan and myself experienced today, the dancers came out to chat to people at stage door after the matinee today (leaving the make up on) and they were utterly charming! One of them wanted tips on where to party in Nottingham after show, once I told them where I was from!! He said they are looking forward to touring the UK. I said to one Trock that I need to bunk off work to maybe get to see them in Birmingham, and he said 'absolutely'!!!

Anyway. Fabulous show. Les Sylphides, Patterns in Space Go for Barocco, Dying Swan, Don Q. Dancing was superb. I cried with laughter throughout, my tissue was wet through by the end. I can't go into detail without spoiling things for anyone who hasn't seen the show. Suffice to say, the quality of the dancing is beyond brilliant. Don Q particularly just wowed me. That pdd and the fouettes was just mind blowing. With the Don Q, they don't even play for laughs. They just knock it out of the ball park in term of technical brilliance.

For me, the Trocks challenge my mind in every way and I think they really do make you question things. Kitri for example. Why should it not be danced by a man? This was Chase Johnsey I believe. Anyway, talking to 'Kitri' at stage door after the show, I said I would love to see him dance the whole Don Q. He said ;so would I'. 

So, utterly fabulous show. I can't wait to see them again in Nottingham.

• Like 6

For me, the Trocks challenge my mind in every way and I think they really do make you question things. Kitri for example. Why should it not be danced by a man? This was Chase Johnsey I believe. Anyway, talking to 'Kitri' at stage door after the show, I said I would love to see him dance the whole Don Q. He said ;so would I'. 

So, utterly fabulous show. I can't wait to see them again in Nottingham.

I had exactly the same thought when I saw them on Friday and would happily watch a whole DonQ with a male Kitri. If Casey Johnsey can't make it, I suspect Leonid Sarafanov would make the most show-off delicious Kitri

• Like 2

Yesterday afternoon's matinee was just super.  The Trocks were fabulous all over again!  Les Sylphides opened the programme and was full of typical Trocks humour...priceless.  Then followed Patterns in Space with it hilarious parody on Cunningham but for me the 2 musicians stole the show!  The musicians were played by Trocks stalwarts Robert Carter and Raffaele Morra and they were just brilliant with their twonky percussion - including bubble wrap being popped!  You had to see it to be believe it - very very clever musical choreography.  I will have to see the show again at The Lowry because I feel I was watching the musicians rather than the dancers LOL! The next piece was The Trocks' homage to Balanchine and boy did it hit the mark.  Go for Barocco was just full of typical Balanchine moves  - Rubies, Serenade etc..and perfectly executed wonderful.  Then another performance of The Dying Swan followed - I can't remember who danced it (not Repelskii this time) the dancers must be allowed some comic licence as there were a few different comedy touches - brilliant as always though and 3 young boys managed to pinch a fallen feather each from the stage after curtain down as a souvenir!  The finale was of course Don Quixote and as my favourite ballet of all I was not disappointed - it was a condensed version with all the best bits!  Chase Johnsey (Ekaterina Verbosavich) was a fabulous Kitri and what can I say... Osipova eat your heart out?!!! He could easily give her a run for her money.  In fact Chase did say when asked, as noted by NottsBalletLover above, that he would love to dance the complete ballet - he looks so beautiful too you don't even notice it's not a woman dancing!  One handed lifts, fouettes, grand jetes it had it all and of course the corps de ballet were brilliant too.  The only thing we didn't get which I would have really liked to see was Cupid's variation in the Dream Scene - Robert Carter - Olga Supposiva danced Cupid - but it would have been lovely to see that rather cute piece from the main ballet included here as I feel the Trocks could have made quite a bit humour out of that piece too! After the show I waited at Stage Door (joined by NottsBalletLover) to see if any dancers would emerge and this time lots of the dancers came out and really that was the icing on the cake especially as I got to meet 2 dancers whom I have long admired and all of the dancers were SO lovely to us fans it was just a really really lovely end to a fab afternoon of ballet. When I was talking to Joshua Thake (Eugenia Repelskii) I mentioned Go for Barocco and how I like Balanchine and he said he loves Balanchine's work too and told me that when he danced for another company similar to The Trocks (no longer in existence) they had a ballet called "Semi Precious Stones" of which the 3 pieces were Peridot, Garnet and Blue Topaz - how I would love to have seen that!!  NottsBallet Lover and I were saying to Raffaele Morra (Lariska Dumbchenko and ballet master) how impressed we were with the standard of dance and he said they have brought it up but that there is still room to improve..just fabulous! Following the show I have determined to see The Trocks again at The Lowry and would urge anyone who has not seen them to go!

Edited by Don Q Fan
  • Like 6