Adverts and Dance/Ballet

I don't think this has been shown on UK television but there's this lovely advert for Levi's stretch jeans danced by members of the National Ballet of Korea -

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_iP98UCelGY

And on a less lyrical tack, there's a recent one for baby milk in which baby girl grows up to be a ballet dancer, baby boy grows up to be an architect or a mountaineer... And I seem to remember an ad for one of the financial companies last year about planning for unexpected expenses with children - such as dental braces, or becoming a cellist, or a ballet dancer...

• Like 2

• Replies 168
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I think that's a lovely advert for many reasons.

On another point, wouldn't it be nice to wear jeans that stretch like that here.

Post Script

YouTube has suggested this clip which is perhaps nearer to home

Edited by terpsichore

Tamara Rojo is also deeply unimpressed by that ad at #40, putting this on Twitter earlier today:

@TamaraRojo1: Sick and tired of fake ballerinas being used for advertising. Complete lack of respect! 

The link she used is to the same YouTube video and the comments that are accumulating under it seem equally dismissive.

• Like 2

I can just imagine the conversation between the director and the casting agent...

D  "She looks great! Can she do a bit of ballet?"

CA  "Oh, yes! She isn't a professional ballet dancer, but she has been taking dance lessons.  Anyway she did ballet for a couple of years..." 

D "Oh, then she must be nearly as good as professonals then!  Besides, it's not as if we are doing Swan Lake..." ....

All those close-ups and slow-mos showing off not pointed feet...Could they not at least use a body double for the close up, if they had to include those shots?

Edited by mimi66
  • Like 3

Guest Autumn days

I wonder if we are perhaps missing the point of the ad? She doesn't say she is a professional, just that she likes to dance. Perhaps the idea is that when you wear their clothes you can just be yourself, be free, do what you like.....? I agree that she can't really dance and it wold have looked a lot better if she wasn't en pointe but who is to say that if you're not a professional dancer you can't still get enjoyment out of dance?

Edited for typo

Edited by mum in a spin
  • Like 2

Guest Autumn days

That could be true, spanner, but don't forget that the people who have posted on this thread are an infinitesimally small percentage of the overall population and are possibly not the target market for the ad. We are, perhaps, looking at things differently to the general population who may just be thinking, "wow, if I wear those clothes, I too, can do what I want". And if it encourages people to dance, is that a bad thing?

• Like 1

It's not only people on this thread who are commenting on that ad though; there are very many comments all over the internet all saying the same thing. She *appears* to be representing ballet dancers - or at least ballet students - but her technique is that of someone who has only had a few ballet lessons. Which is fine except that someone who has only had a few ballet lessons would and should not be allowed en pointe, especially in centre. Not only does it look grim, it's dangerous and she could so easily have broken an ankle.

That's my beef with it; it's irresponsible and potentially dangerous. If she's supposed to be a recreational adult learner then fine, but in that case they should have made it clearer AND she should not have been en pointe.

Edited to add: It's not Free People's first faux pas either: http://www.freepeople.com/vintage-1950s-crinoline-ballet-skirt/

• Like 3

It sort of also depends on who their target audience to buy their dance clothing is.  True they do not claim the girl is a professional dance but the voice over says she has been dancing/learning since the age of 3 and it hints towards the professional rather than recreational dancer. But perhaps the ad people have achieved their aim in any case as people remember their ad and are talking about it..

• Like 1

Guest Autumn days

I agree with the safety aspect and that photo is truly bad.

"It sort of also depends on who their target audience to buy their dance clothing is."

They don't really sell dance clothing!! They are a fashion company that has a line of items that look like they could be dance wear but I don't think that they are aimed at dancers!

Edited by mum in a spin
  • Like 1

If this ad featured a girl playing the piano (something like one of Chopin peices), she would be playing it with a lot of mistouches (hitting wrong notes, and not being on correct beat) and it would have sounded terrible, even for those untrained ears.  And that is while the voice-over would be implying that she has been learning piano at least for over 10 years...  (that can happen, too).

Then noone thought "that's ok, that is an ad...". 

I think ads like this one just prove that ballet is not being taken seriously enough...

Edited by mimi66
  • Like 2

In my case I have to say that the advert therefore has failed with its aim. I didn't know that they were a fashion company - and the sort of subconscious link in my mind is bad advert = bad clothing, regardless of it is true or not. It certainly does not encourage me to buy their product

Unfortunately, top professional ballet dancers and top professional ballet photographers aren't immune to the efforts of the Photoshopper (so it looks to me)  in the pursuit of selling stuff - in this case, footwear/tights for a US footwear chain - and all under the brand name American Ballet Theatre as well. The shoes have the drawstrings tied into bows on the outside, and that supporting foot looks distinctly odd. I'd bet that originally Misty Copeland was wearing pointe shoes for this photo. Opinions welcome!

079401_10_1400x1400.jpg?sw=556

...and while she may not be exactly a professional ballet dancer (as in she is a member of a ballet company), this is what she can do...

It's so funny, however hard you try to fake, your true self (and training) always shines through...

Edited by mimi66
  • Like 2

• 3 weeks later...