Queen's Birthday Honours 2015

The List as I see it:

Mark Baldwin OBE

Lynn Wallis (RAD) OBE

John Barron (Chief Exec, BRB) OBE    (assuming this is the gentleman we know as Chris Barron)

Edward Watson MBE

Elaine Lillian (Teacher) BEM

Edited by Janet McNulty
Edited to add detail to one of the names
  • Like 3

I'd been wondering whether he would be getting anything - or (as I keep saying) whether he'd been offered something and turned it down.

Anyway, congratulations to everyone honoured (if that's the right word).

I'm so sorry that I got the level of gong wrong for the wonderful Ed. It was late, the lists were long and my scrolling down was faulty.

But I have to add that it's a strange old world when actors continue to be valued more highly than the country's very top, multi-faceted dancers who can act so powerfully as well.

Edited by capybara
  • Like 2

I'm so sorry that I got the level of gong wrong for the wonderful Ed. It was late, the lists were long and my scrolling down was faulty.

No worries at all, capybara  :)       I am sorry if my reply late last night was too direct or seemed critical in any way.  

As you say, the lists are very long, and when I looked through the document myself, I didn't find it easy to conclude from a page in the middle of the document which level a name related to.

Thank you for being the first to highlight that Edward Watson's name is in the list.

• Like 2

It may be my complete lack of attention over the last number of years, but it seems quite rare that a dancer gets this sort of honour while still dancing. Although I suppose there are very few British dancers who reach this absolute pinnacle.

I was wondering why Ed Watson got an MBE rather than an OBE.  According to the official honours website the difference is as follows:

OBE: "This is awarded for having a major local role in any activity, including people whose work has made them known nationally in their chosen area."

MBE: "This is awarded for a significant achievement or outstanding service to the community. An MBE is also awarded for local ‘hands-on’ service which stands out as an example to other people."

So what exactly is Ed being rewarded for?  Does it say? (Sorry, I am abroad and my connection won't allow me to open the link, it keeps timing out.)

Of course, Ed has featured in cinema relays (nationally and internationally), has been in the forefront of pushing the boundaries of ballet, has received national awards and has performed abroad to great acclaim. As I said above, it makes one wonder.............

I was wondering why Ed Watson got an MBE rather than an OBE.  According to the official honours website the difference is as follows:

OBE: "This is awarded for having a major local role in any activity, including people whose work has made them known nationally in their chosen area."

MBE: "This is awarded for a significant achievement or outstanding service to the community. An MBE is also awarded for local ‘hands-on’ service which stands out as an example to other people."

So what exactly is Ed being rewarded for?  Does it say? (Sorry, I am abroad and my connection won't allow me to open the link, it keeps timing out.)

The document just says "for services to Dance".

From looking through the document, the wording "for services to ..." seems to be used across all levels of honours.

• 3 months later...

Just to start this off with the good news that Edward Watson has been awarded an OBE. Many congratulations to him (and, of course, to others from the world of dance whose names I haven't spotted!)..

Today's Evening Standard has a feature (page 3, in case you missed it) saying that Ed is collecting his MBE tomorrow and then returning to the ROH because he's performing in both parts of the double bill.  I can't find it online as yet, which doesn't surprise me much since the ES website in its new incarnation seems to be pretty rubbish.