Ballet...Gear. Really? Is this the thing! And what's THIS for?

Petalviolet

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I have two large suitcases full of pretty leotards, skirts, shorts, ballet warm-ups etc but as soon as she left school dd refused to wear almost any of it. Her favourite outfit for company class was probably a cheap onsie from Asda! Otherwise its all just leggings/crop tops/general sports wear. Bloch booties are still popular though.

• Like 1

you think the girls are bad.... my DS goes around in the MOST bizARRE collection of weird and wonderful clothing which a normal teenage boy would faint with horror to be seen in. T shirts with the arms ripped off, onesies which are so voluminous he looks like a clown (yes we do mock him), bloch booties in electric blue, strange headscarf arrangements, - yes the one leg warmer has also been seen.

If I ever express surprise he just looks at me pityingly and says'm a dancer Mum, this is what we wear...'

Edited by CeliB
  • Like 7

I love it! When I was a child my mum and I used to watch company class whenever a ballet company came to town. Festival ballet was my favourite (now ENB). I remember being mesmerised by the assortment of clothing at start of class which would gradually be peeled off as class continued. I'm sure that was my main motivation for becoming a dancer!

• Like 3

Doubled over with laughter here at this thread and all the comments - best way to start a Friday in the office!

DD has a wardrobe full of beautiful clothes however, as I'm sure most dancing mums will attest to, lives in the same ballet combinations most of the time.  Her staple outfit is the Bloch all in one warmup (black of course!) with a combination of knitted fluffy warm up jumpers underneath.  At less than 5' tall and the smallest in her

classes they all refer to her as the baby as that's exactly what she looks like.

We haven't bought the Bloch Booties - yet! - but there's always a plethora of legwarmers on various joints - including elbows and shoulders - to help warm them up before specific classes.??

I just don't even question it anymore - but her dad and brother find it hilarious!!

• Like 1

I would love to have a conversation with other mums with DS's about dance belts!!! And the pro's and cons of the different makes. (we do have a on thread here about female problems)

Perhaps by PM only?

Last Christmas when DS was home I definitely surprised him with a pair of colourful leg warmers that had been specially made to order from FaB dance knitwear. They are expensive but his reaction was priceless. He does wears them and they keep him warm in Romania. 

Bloch booties have been worn for years, black all in one (Capezio) warm up used and various individual leg warmers.

At company auditions he would take his scruffiest stuff so he would fit in and not look like a young person just graduating.

• Like 3

ha ha yes the dance belt issue. I am just glad I don't ever have to wear such a monstrously uncomfortable looking item. But then many women wear thongs (I shudder) so no different really. I remember seeing in the Guardian weekend fashions section YEARS ago an issue on cashmere which included..... wait for it...... a pair of cashmere knickers! with a price tag in the several hundreds of pounds. Wool knickers? are they joking? sounds positively medieval....

It put me off saturday guardian for years I was so appalled.....

(for those who want to know about DBs wear moi seems to be the favoured brand- in black)

• Like 4

Speaking of uncomfortable. Discovered I'm slightly too fat for the trousers I want to wear to our JA audition this afternoon so strategy is button up only when entering floral street and when we emerge (to rapturous applause) at four...get to the end of street, turn into Covent Garden and let it all hang out. I really wish I was joking but I'm not.

• Like 5

Speaking of uncomfortable. Discovered I'm slightly too fat for the trousers I want to wear to our JA audition this afternoon so strategy is button up only when entering floral street and when we emerge (to rapturous applause) at four...get to the end of street, turn into Covent Garden and let it all hang out. I really wish I was joking but I'm not.

Sansha onesie ? ;) x

I think the rolling pins are to roll over sore muscles to relieve tightness? But I am sure there are ladies in the know that can confirm!

They are probably used for rolling under the soles of the feet to help relieve strain. In the film "A Bunny's Tale", the Gloria Steinem character is given the advice to roll a bottle under her feet after her first session, and I think Steinem mentions this in her book too, but it has been a very long time since I've read that (although a did see the film again a couple of years ago).

• Like 1

The dance belts HAVE to be Wear Moi made in London and NOT Wear Moi made in Europe!

There is a seam in the wrong place with the Europe ones. (I dare not say more)

I can only find the London ones at Dancing Boutique as most other places have the ones made in Europe eg Dancing Direct. Or does anyone know otherwise?

• Like 1

DS gets his (well, obviously I get them for him....) at porselli (https://dancewear.co.uk/products/details&prodid=767)

he hasn't mentioned a seam anywhere unmentionable so can only assume these are ok?!

re rollers- DS also uses a larger foam roller for rolling out muscles. its a right pain to fit in a suitcase (light, but very bulky....) though his most recent one is hollow so can be stuffed with socks, and other smalls such as....... dance belts! (It's all starting to come together ...)

• Like 3

Thanks for the link. We (I) haven't had to order any for a year now and dread it if I can't get the same ones.

It's the same picture on Dancing Boutique but it looks like there is a seam there (if you zoom in!). I have to email them before ordering and ask that they are totally smooth.

DS also has a long rolling stick that he uses on his muscles and great for my shoulders. Easier to pack than a foam roller. Will ask him for a link.

Plus he has a small soft half deflated/inflated pilates ball to exercise with.

Sorry if I sound a bit dim but if you order online do they do returns for dance belts? 10 year old Ds needs one for his upcoming show, especially after wearing white as the Nutcracker and his dance teachers "quiet word"!???? Local dance shop is pretty usless tbh so it's either a trip to buy one or online!

AFAIK dance belts are treated as underwear and they probably wouldn't accept a return, not that I've tried.

Personally I prefer these https://dancewear.co.uk/products/details&prodid=3079 to the one mentioned by CeliB above. I used to have a Bal Togs one which gave support in all the right places and was extremely comfortable, but I don't know of any UK outlets.

• Like 1

Oh yes Wear Moi seems to be the make of choice. Others we have tried are just 'all wrong'!! Wasn't aware of the UK v Europe difference though. We were having a conversation about ordering more of these the other day and I said to DS that he could go down to get them when dancing boutique comes to school. His response - 'no way, there's people around'!! So we teased him mercilessly about asking for items in a brown paper bag and my youngest son told him to whisper to the lady that he wanted a Yock Yak, so no one else would understand. Anyway, it seems I will have to send an email!!????

• Like 3

That's it Ellie...the hybrid stick..https://www.thestick.com/cgi-bin/commerce.cgi?preadd=action&key=HW-2300. Probably got off amazon.uk

Here's the link for amazon. http://www.amazon.co.uk/Stick-Hybrid-Body-Massager/dp/B005MYGU6C/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1432910644&sr=8-1&keywords=hybrid+stick

Buying dance belts - If you contact the company that you're ordering from and explain that you're trying for size and will be tried on over pants, they should/might let you then do that.

Try ringing up Dancing Boutique as they have been helpful in the past. Also Just Ballet.

I've had to return belts to Dancing Direct before as there was this dreaded seam and got my refund.

(edited to add amazon link)

Edited by Lottie
  • Like 1