Suggestions for monologues?

Katymac

It's a disaster - After all year of working on her monologue for auditions her college has said she has to have a new one for 3 weeks time

She really isn't a great actor & leans towards the funny & can't do accents - she is 17, mixed race & a typical 'dancer'

So any suggestions?

Oh no,Katymac. Are there any drama teachers near where you live? Perhaps a couple of lessons with one,explaining the situation. The drama teacher would help her to pick out a monologue which is suitable for her.

Edited by thequays
  • Like 1

It's a disaster - After all year of working on her monologue for auditions her college has said she has to have a new one for 3 weeks time

She really isn't a great actor & leans towards the funny & can't do accents - she is 17, mixed race & a typical 'dancer'

So any suggestions?

Why? What reason are they giving? Have they only just decided this is unsuitable for dd?

• Like 1

Well she is 100 miles away & it's really tricky

They say she can't audition for them with a monologue they have helped her with

Oh know I wonder if that is the same for songs - I must check - songs are easier as I understand them

I don't understand how she can't use a monologue the school has helped her with for their own audition. Surely they know her basic acting abilities and how much help she has needed? In fact I would say she is in a less favourable position re audition pieces for that reason! - applicants who are new to them could give a stellar performance in which they have been coached to the nth degree and the school won't know that and may believe that the performance is a reflection of innate ability rather than of intensive coaching.

I also think it is appalling if the school have only just told her this with 3 weeks to go. If it is their policy then it should have been made clear from the beginning of the applications process.

• Like 2

I feel a bit numb - it took us ages to find one last time as she isn't a great actor & monologues for teens are quite rare

I've been trying to think of films that might also be plays

Sorry Legseleven - I agree with you but there is no point having a strop (even if I want to) - I just need to fix it

Edited by Katymac

I agree, no point having a strop - but it makes you feel better to have one! Perhaps when all is over and you have the chance you could speak to the school because there seems no point at all in their policy. 

I will rack my brains re monologues and ask friends if they can think of any. How long must it be? Does she want a comic piece and what is her 'normal' accent if she isn't happy to use a different accent?

Our Day Out - which she does really well with a tiny vague Liverpool accent (I'm from the posh bit of Liverpool)

She is quite RP but not posh RP just nothing massively regional - her dad is Jamaican, I'm a scouser (?) & she lives in Norfolk - she's learning a bit of Essex

• Like 2

Is there anything from 'Educating Rita' she could do? Either from the earlier sections (quite Liverpudlian) or maybe the later sections where Susan/Rita is less Scouse? 'Teechers' (John Godber) might be a possible, although I can't remember whether that's specifically a Welsh accent that's required! (sorry, not much use really!)

Have you googled monologues for girls.  We used to do this for dd and non dd's musical theatre school yearly adjudications.  DD did the "After Juliet" monologue for her LMBDA the one written I think by Kyria Knightly's mom, she also did the renowned one from "Once a Catholic".  Does she have a favourite film or TV show she could take something from - also tell her not to be afraid of looking at male monologues - a lot of the time you can adapt them and they tend to be a bit more meaty, most of the time there is nothing in there about being a boy and you can change them - tends how daring you want to be.

Wishing her luck

The late Joyce Grenfell did wonderful comic monologues - I particularly love her nursery school teacher one.  I don't think it would matter what accent you did it with as long as you got the right "tone" of voice. She's giving them a dancing lesson - they're supposed to be flowers. "Sidney dear, what have you got in your mouth?"  "No you can't be a horse - you have to be a flower" "George - don't do that"  That sort of thing.    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZXhHFgDRNBQ

• Like 3

The late Joyce Grenfell did wonderful comic monologues - I particularly love her nursery school teacher one.  I don't think it would matter what accent you did it with as long as you got the right "tone" of voice. She's giving them a dancing lesson - they're supposed to be flowers. "Sidney dear, what have you got in your mouth?"  "No you can't be a horse - you have to be a flower" "George - don't do that"  That sort of thing.    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZXhHFgDRNBQ

We studied 'George, don't do that' many moons ago for English Lit. I loved it :)

• Like 2

She found one - pretty much learnt it & then at college today they said it has to be UK & post 1970

I may have found another one - but it's been challenging

Oh my goodness. Why on earth didn`t they explain that to her in the first place? Do they think your daughter`s a mind reader or something???

• Like 2

How about one of the Alan Bennett 'Talking Heads' monologues - the one that Julie Walters did, 'Her Big Chance'? That's a young aspiring actress so should be right for a teenage performer. 

Is there anything else that could work as a monologue from 'Our Day Out'? At least your DD is familiar with the play.

Could she do the piece from 'Shirley Valentine' or would she feel the character (40s, possibly late 30s) is too old for her? Shirley talks to the wall so it's perfect as a monologue as that's how it was written. The one about her husband being about to get chips and egg for his tea tonight, despite it not being the 'right' day for chips and egg. - and another Liverpudlian piece! If she's not confident with accents, although it's often more 'impressive' to use a different accent for an audition piece, better to do one with which she is confident ;-)

I would have suggested the Marquise's monologue about how she 'invented herself' from 'Les Liaisons Dangereuses', but although it's written by a contemporary writer it isn't a contemporary or a UK piece.

She could also look at Liz's monologue in the play 'Feelgood' (Alistair Beaton).

• Like 3

She is looking at something from My mother said I never should - but although written in 85 is was set (the monologue) in 1923 so she isn't sure

She also likes the beginning of Mamma Mia - Sophie telling her friends about her Dad's but is checking if it's allowed

• Like 1