Another body size question.

tomuchtallent

This might sound strange question but what happens if a girl grows medium or biggish breasts?would this be a problem for them for a ballet proffession.I havent seen any ballet dancer with average size breasts,they all seem to be very small.Would schools class this as not the right physique?

Edited by tomuchtallent

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Ouch, isnt ballet very cruel. Luckily for now my dd hasnt a boob to her name, she is happy about if now but I wonder how she will feel when she is no longer dancing. I have to say you dont see many pure classical ballet dancers with big breasts.

My dd teacher who is lovely and slim although MODERN/JAZZ/STREET not ballet although was a dancer before she went into teaching has recently had a breast enlargement (not a massive difference but she chose to do it for whatever personal reasons she had and does look stunning) but did before! I agree that ballet dancers seem to have a very boyish shape with just pure muscle "up top".

Just goes to show you shouldn't trust everything you read I suppose! This was taken from her agents page "Choosing to pursue a professional career in dance, she successfully auditioned for the Royal Ballet Lower School, but was asked to leave after two years due to a large bust, which ruined her lines for classical ballet." http://www.roarglobal.com/clients/jennifer-ellison/biography/

• Like 1

Don't know where Jennifer Ellison trained but I do recall from the 'old' ballet co forum, a discussion about some RAD DVD's, where the conclusion was that a very young Jennifer Ellison and Rupert Pennefather demonstrated the course together.....so at some point she must have been 'in the mix', surely it must be more than a bust that stopped a promising career??

Jennifer was a beautiful dancer, she trained at the Elizabeth Hill school of dance in St Helens Merseyside. This school is amazing and it is where Kristen forget her other name principle of Royal ballet trained. I do not know why everyone thinks that Jennifer went to White Lodge, amazing where stories come from. She was in Brookside a soap drama set in Liverpool, does anyone remember it.

• Like 1

I do know a girl who went to my dds school who attended a MT college who had a bust reduction, however hers really were huge. Hers were affecting her career and I would have thought her health. Sorry folks but Jennifer definately did not attend white lodge full time, just the associates.

Don't know where Jennifer Ellison trained but I do recall from the 'old' ballet co forum, a discussion about some RAD DVD's, where the conclusion was that a very young Jennifer Ellison and Rupert Pennefather demonstrated the course together.....so at some point she must have been 'in the mix', surely it must be more than a bust that stopped a promising career??

Yes! That was me. It's the old RAD Inter Foundation dvd; she looks to be about 11 or 12. :-)

I think the people who decide to have plastic surgery do it when they've finished growing and are adult, physically, mentally and legally and I don't suppose they ask their parents for permission... It must come from a very personal choice... I know of a 16 year old who cannot wait to have a breasts reduction because she has to wear 2 bras on top of each other to dance and it still hurts a lot. And she's been told very clearly by different teachers that there was not point auditioning for work at the moment for that reason...

There is no way in a million years I would ever let my dd have plastic surgery.

The very thought of it appalls me.

Breast reduction is horrid - my non-DD had the op at just 18 due to her 32H boobs and the associated back and neck problems they caused her. Whilst she wouldn't change anything the scars are ugly but she now appreciates people talking to her and not her chest ;)

edited for spelling

Edited by w445403
  • Like 3

There will always be a genuine need for surgery for numerous reasons, including the reduction of a bust which is totally out of proportion for that person.

What I object to is the mutilation of a perfectly normal body in order to conform to someone else's idea of the 'ideal' body shape.

I wonder how many male dancers would contemplate surgery to their nether regions because the bulge in their tights was bigger than everyone else's?

• Like 7

There will always be a genuine need for surgery for numerous reasons, including the reduction of a bust which is totally out of proportion for that person.

What I object to is the mutilation of a perfectly normal body in order to conform to someone else's idea of the 'ideal' body shape.

I wonder how many male dancers would contemplate surgery to their nether regions because the bulge in their tights was bigger than everyone else's?

About the last sentence.....

Dare I say it? Such a circumstance would probably be celebrated. I know of one such and it certainly was.

• Like 5

Stupid question really, but how big is big in ballet?

Obviously as a non dancer mine are quite some way down the alphabet and are large, but my dd does have boobs but not huge.

I think she looks fab but it is a source of concern for her. { sadly}

!

Most of the ballerinas look as if they wouldn't be larger than a B-cup, but I'm no expert on the bust size of ballerinas!

Thanks for that I'm no expert either!

When i was a little girl, i used to pray [amongst other things], to "Please God, don`t let me grow big boobs, and don`t let me grow too tall". I really wanted to be a ballet dancer.[until i reached 17 and saw sense, realising if i DID make it i would almost certainly languish in the Corps on a pitiful salary.] !!!! Er, no thanks.!!!

Edited by thequays
  • Like 3

Out of all the great number of body shape/size issues that could potentially present problems for a classical dancer (including the development of scoliosis for my dd) I think too large breasts is one that she need never worry about if our genes are anything to go by :)