Mariinsky ballet

Hi Jamie.  Sadly they are not coming to the UK this year, but you can follow them on www.mariinsky.ru   They are currently in Washington DC.  I haven't seen anything about a Friends of Mariinsky, but I haven't looked too hard.  On the Bolshoi website you can sign up to be informed whenever they announce the next period's programming, so I would hope that can be done on the Mariinsky's site as well.

• Like 1

is it possible to join Friends of M?

jamie14

There is certainly a Friends' organization.  There doesn't seem to be any information on line but I do have the address of the person who runs it.  It's probably not appropriate to post his address on line so I'll send it to you in a PM.

• Like 1

This Friends' site hasn't been updated for 15 years which doesn't look promising. This page gives details which may or may not be in date.

They've moved since then.  Here's  the current address of the Mariinsky Theatre Trust. At least it was their address last summer.  I don't think they've moved since:

Mariinsky Theatre Trust

Mare Street Studios - Unit 305

203-213 Mare Street

London E8 3QE

Tel: +44 (0)20 8510 9262       

Edited by Bluebird
  • Like 1

The main advantage of joining the above organisation is that you can buy tickets to rehearsals if and when the Mariinsky comes to the UK. Otherwise, most of the information they send you seems to be about opera or orchestral performances. They do sponsor Xander Parish's membership of the Company, however - I think by processing his salary.

• Like 1

They do sponsor Xander Parish's membership of the Company, however - I think by processing his salary.

Feel free to ignore this if I'm being too nosy, but what does this mean? He's not a member of the company the way other Mariinsky dancers are, or are all dancers sponsored in different ways?

The Mariinsky Theatre Trust explained a few years ago in a leaflet sent to Friends that they paid Xander's salary in order (as I recall it) that employment restrictions did not get in the way of his being at the Mariinsky. That situation may now have changed as more dancers from other countries become employed in Russia - Kimin Kim also at the Mariinsky, for example.

• Like 1

Whilst in Washington just now, it appears that the Mariinsky is discussing another visit there next year:

http://sputniknews.com/art_living/20150128/1017453908.html

(Sputnik is the Agency that used to be Voice of Russia, so it's probably an informed article.)

They may well be seeking to maximise payments in non-rouble currencies these days.

There are some tickets left for this gala, but they are rather to the side. It seems to have sold particularly well this year, perhaps because there are no visiting Russian companies. You could also ring the Box Office because some seats are not sold online. Sometimes there are returns as well.

• 1 month later...

Dates and performances for the Mariinsky's annual visit to Baden-Baden, Germany:

20./21.12. The Little Humpbacked Horse

22./23.12  Swan Lake

25./26. (mat + eve).12  Le Corsaire

27.12.  Gala

www.festspielhaus.de

Edited by Angela
  • Like 2

The Mariinsky Theatre Trust explained a few years ago in a leaflet sent to Friends that they paid Xander's salary in order (as I recall it) that employment restrictions did not get in the way of his being at the Mariinsky. That situation may now have changed as more dancers from other countries become employed in Russia - Kimin Kim also at the Mariinsky, for example.

There was an interview with him in one of this last weekend's papers I have now thrown out (maybe the last page of the Money section of the Sunday Times?) and what he said there suggested that he gets paid a salary (based on the number of shows he performs in) in roubles by the Mariinsky itself and an additional grant paid in sterling by the Mariinsky Trust in the UK.  It was in the context of a question about how he coped with the falling value of the rouble; he explained that it wasn't too bad as almost all his expenses were rouble-denominated, but that he did have this sterling component to his income which helped.  It didn't get more granular than that, so I don't have more details.

I do recall someone suggesting a couple of years ago that his entire compensation came through the trust for the employment restrictions you mention, so maybe things have changed. 

In the meantime some interesting videos and live broadcasts on Mariinsky TV: http://mariinsky.tv/n/e. If I understand correctly, tonight 19:30 Russian Time (16:30 UK time) there'll be an Artistic Evening with Viktoria Tershkina:

The programme includes:

I. The Legend of Love (Act II)
Music by Arif Melikov
Libretto by Nazim Khikmet
Choreography by Yuri Grigorovich (1961)
Set, costume and lighting design: Simon Virsaladze

Shyrin: Alina Somova
Ferkhad: Kimin Kim
Mekhmeneh Bahnu: Viktoria Tereshkina
The Vizier: Yuri Smekalov

II. Schéhérazade (choreographic drama in one act)
Music by Nikolai Rimsky-Korsakov
Scenario by Léon Bakst and Michel Fokine after Arabian Nights fairytales
Choreography by Michel Fokine (1910)
Reconstruction by Isabelle Fokine, Andris Liepa
Set and costume design by Anna Nezhnaya, Anatoly Nezhny after original sketches: Léon Bakst

Shahriar: Vladimir Ponomarev
Zobeide: Viktoria Tereshkina
Zobeide’s Slave: Danila Korsuntsev
The Odalisques: Olga Belik, Viktoria Brilyova, Anastasia Zaklinskaya

III. “Paquita” Grand pas
Music by Ludwig Minkus
Choreography by Marius Petipa (1881)
Revival consultants: Pyotr Gusev, Lidia Tiuntina, Georgy Konishchev
Set design by Gennady Sotnikov
Costume design by Irina Press

Soloists: Viktoria Tereshkina and Vladimir Shklyarov

[edited for typos]

Edited by Yaffa
  • Like 1

Interesting to see that one of the Odalisques in Scheherazade is being played by Anastasia Zaklinskaya who is, I believe, the daughter of Altynai Asylmuratova and Konstantin Zaklinsky. I knew that she was graduating from the Vaganova school and had wondered whether she had obtained a contract with the Mariinsky.

They also have an interesting live broadcast on Saturday (21st March) at 19:00 local time (4 p.m. in UK):

A Creative Workshop of Young Choreographers

The Mariinsky Orchestra
Conductor: Gavriel Heine

The programme includes:

Ballet No 2
Music by Alexander Tsfasman
Choreography by Maxim Petrov
Set Designer: Sergei Grachev
Costume Designer: Tatiana Noginova
Lighting Designer: Igor Vints
Performed by Viktoria Brilyova, Yuliana Chereshkevich, Sofia Ivanova-Skoblikova, Yekaterina Ivannikova, Anna Lavrinenko, Oxana Marchuk, Yevgeny Konovalov, Alexander Saveliev, Andrei Solovyov, Vasily Tkachenko, Andrei Yermakov, Boris Zhurilov

Interview with Maxim Petrov

Connections
Music by Johann Sebastian Bach
Choreography by Ilya Zhivoi
Costume Designer: Sofia Vartanian
In the lead roles Yekaterina Osmolkina and Maxim Zyuzin

Orpheus in the Underworld
Music by Sergei Rachmaninoff
Choreography by Yuri Smekalov
Set and Costume Designer: Andrei Sevbo
In the lead roles Oxana Bondareva, Maria Sheviakova, Yevgeny Deryabin, Alexander Fyodorov, Konstantin Ivkin, Yulia Kobzar, Soslan Kulaev, Vladimir Shklyarov, Vasily Shcherbakov, Konstantin Zverev

Clay
Music by Darius Milhaud
Choreography by Vladimir Varnava
Costume Designer: Irina Varnava
Performed by Viktoria Brilyova, Tatiana Tkachenko, Zlata Yalinich, Alexei Nedviga, Vasily Tkachenko, Maxim Zyuzin

Interview with Vladimir Varnava

Elementarium
Music by Sergei Prokofiev
Choreography, set designs, costumes and lighting by Maxim Sevagin
Performed by students of the Vaganova Academy of Russian Ballet

Remember the Future
Music by Johann Sebastian Bach
Choreography and set designs by Ksenia Zvereva
Performed by Alexandra Dementieva, Xenia Fateeva, Nelli Smirnova, Andrei Arseniev, Yaroslav Baibordin, Ramanbek Beishenaliev, Nikita Lyashchenko, Ivan Oskorbin

Who is my Shadow?
Music by Alexander Maev
Choreography by Yuri Smekalov

Second I
Music by Philip Glass
Choreography and set designs by Ksenia Zvereva
Video Graphics Designer: Arseny Nikolaev
Costume Designers: Tatiana Noginova and Xenia Zvereva
Performed by Alexei Tyutyunnik and Andrei Yermakov

• Like 1

Thank you to Yaffa. I have just watched the programme with Tereshkina, absolutely great. How old is she? Obviously a great artiste and had a wonderful curtain call at the end. How does one find out about these broadcasts? I am looking forward to the one on Saturday.