Ballet and Dance on TV & Radio over Christmas

The ROH have announced their ballet (and opera) being shown on tv over Christmas. here is the link. http://www.roh.org.uk/news/roh-tv-and-radio-christmas-broadcasts-announced-for-2014

The highlight is A Winter's Tale shown on BBC4 on Christmas day at 7pm. there will also be a performance of Carlos Acosta's Cuban Night on Boxing Day at 7.30pm again on BBC 4.

Sky Arts are showing lots of ballets but, as far as I can see, all ballets they have already shown. I am keeping my fingers crossed that someone may be showing ENBs Corsaire though I realise it's probably wishful thinking. I contacted ENB about the hoped-for dvd and was told they had no immediate plans for it and to keep watching their website. I was so disappointed as that was to be the highlight of my Christmas tv viewing. Until the Christmas Radio Times comes out I suppose there is a sliver of hope though I suspect if it was to be on tv over Christmas that would be on their website.

Thanks, Joan. Yes! Winter's Tale, as hoped. I'm not sure about Cuban Night, though - does anyone know precisely what it was? Did they record Carlos' show at the ROH this summer, or is it something else?

The Christmas RT is out on Saturday, so I guess anything scheduled will be set in stone already.

And I'd love the chance to see most of those Sky performances on terrestrial TV :( Not to mention the Ashton bill from a year or two back, which I always assumed would make it onto the BBC at some stage.

• 2 weeks later...

I've merged this thread with an existing one on a similar theme.

Incidentally, I'd just got as far as Winter's Tale in the Radio Times today when I saw that there's an overnight repeat - with subtitles. It's a ballet, for heaven's sake - and squeezed into 2 hours, I can't imagine there's going to be much additional room for people talking :)

• Like 1

I've merged this thread with an existing one on a similar theme.

Incidentally, I'd just got as far as Winter's Tale in the Radio Times today when I saw that there's an overnight repeat - with subtitles. It's a ballet, for heaven's sake - and squeezed into 2 hours, I can't imagine there's going to be much additional room for people talking :)

You might be surprised! Even if there's no pre-show or interval discussion, they will put up a label saying something like, "No subtitles are required for this programme." They're obliged to write something. I've worked in subtitling and I once subtitled a Cirque du Soleil show where there was no dialogue. They wanted each piece of music labelled with a subtitle saying what the piece of music was called. I think that would be unlikely for a ballet performance, though. However, I once did have to subtitle dance - it was a long Akram Khan piece. Despite protestations, they insisted that they wanted the music described throughout the whole thing! Very tricky it was to do, too, and it was almost certainly not entirely successful!

• Like 1

Well, the double-issue Radio Times starts tomorrow, so here's what I've found so far (all Sky Arts 2 unless indicated otherwise):

Monday 22nd

2 pm: Bolshoi Unseen: Don Quixote (repeated 3 am next morning)

4 pm: The Bolshoi: Dancing for Russia (repeated 2 am next morning) 

5 pm: Nuages

Tuesday 23rd

8 am: Bolshoi Unseen: Don Quixote

10 am: The Bolshoi: Dancing for Russia

2 pm: Bolshoi Unseen: Giselle (repeated 3 am next morning)

3.55 pm: Les Patineurs

4 pm (eh?!): Peter and the Wolf

Wednesday 24th

8 am: Bolshoi Unseen: Giselle

2 pm: Bolshoi Unseen: Swan Lake (repeated 3 am next morning)

4.20 pm: Bolero (I assume the Bejart)

11 pm: Les Patineurs

11.30 pm: Nuages

5.25 am next morning: Peter and the Wolf

Christmas Day

8 am: Bolshoi Unseen: Swan Lake

1.30 pm: Bolshoi Unseen: The Nutcracker (repeated 3.15 am next morning)

7 pm, BBC4: The Winter's Tale (repeated next morning at 1.55 am - with subtitles)

(next morning) 5 am: Les Patineurs

Boxing Day

8 am: Bolshoi Unseen: The Nutcracker

9.45 am: Peter and the Wolf

2 pm: Bolshoi Unseen: Spartacus (repeated 2.40 am next morning)

Does anyone know what these Bolshoi Unseens are?  Is there any relation to the recently-issued DVD box set of rarities?

7.30 pm, BBC4: Carlos Acosta's Cuban Night

Hi there. The Giselle is Ananiashvilli and Fedeychev. First act lovely, second act very darkly filmed. The Nutcracker is Vassiliev and Maximova. Dreadful production and choreography worse but they are wonderful. Swan Lake is Plisetskaya but very darkly filmed, Don Q is Pavlova.

Profuse apologies for all spelling errors and casting omissions. The documentary with Deborah Bull on dancing with the Bolshoi is excellent . Interesting to hear Bolshoi dancers moaning about globalisation and all companies getting too alike. Just what we say here!

Sky have already aired most of the Bolshoi Uneen recordings. They are

Don Quixote 1978      Nadezhda Pavlova / Vyacheslav Gordeev

Swan Lake 1976        Maya Pliseskaya / Alexander Bogatrev

Nutcracker 1978        Ekaterina Maximova / Vladimir Vasiliev

Giselle 1991               Nina Ananiashvilli / Victor Barykin / Ruslan Pronin

I hope I've spelled all these correctly!

Week two, now:

Saturday 27th December

8 am: Bolshoi Unseen: Spartacus

4.45 pm: Les Patineurs

Sunday 28th December

10 am: Les Patineurs

10.30 am: Nuages

3.20 pm: Peter and the Wolf (actually, I think we had this problem last year: I'm assuming this is the ballet, particularly since various transmissions of it follow directly on from Les Patineurs)

Monday 29th December

2 pm: Stomp: Live

BBC1, 10.30 pm: Darcey Bussell's Looking for Audrey Hepburn - a slightly tenuous dance link, perhaps, but given who's presenting it I thought it appropriate

Tuesday 30th December

8 am: The Nutcracker (whose? RB?)

9.50 am: Le Jeune Homme et la Mort

8 pm: Sleeping Beauty (RB: Cuthbertson, Polunin) (repeated at 2.15 am next morning)

Wednesday 31st December

8 am: Sleeping Beauty

10.30 am: Les Patineurs

2 pm: Matthew Bourne's Swan Lake - don't know which version

4 pm: Dance on Screen

6.50 pm: Black Swan pdd

8 pm: Giselle (RB - presumably Osipova?) (repeated at 2.15 next morning)

New Year's Day

8 am: Giselle

10.05 am: Gala from Berlin 2012 - not sure whether this has any dance content?

8 pm: Romeo & Juliet (RB - Cuthbertson/Bonelli) (repeated at 2.15 next morning)

4.45 am next morning: Dance on Screen

Friday 2nd January

8 am: Romeo & Juliet

8 pm: La Bayadere (RB - Rojo/Acosta) (repeated at 2.15 next morning)

4.25 am next morning: Dance, Dance, Dance

I think that's it, but please let me know if I've missed anything.

Also, radio-wise:

BBC Radio 4, Christmas Day, 1.45 pm: Food for Thought - Carlos Acosta discusses his career and diet (this one's a repeat)

BBC Radio 3, Saturday 27th December: 2 pm - Saturday Classics featuring Zenaida Yanowsky