World Ballet Day Live - TODAY FOLKS

Really surprised people aren't talking about this live event - it's a wonderful thing that the companies are giving folks such an inside view.

At the moment it's live from the Bolshoi and wonderful to see the dancers getting their bodies around Jean-Christophe Maillot's Taming of the Shrew with the man himself giving directions in English and French. At the moment they are with Urin the Bolshoi General Director.

I'm watching on this YouTube Address:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ojWqPQE1Qn8

More Details about the event in this news thread:

http://www.balletcoforum.com/index.php?/topic/7755-world-ballet-day-october-1-2014/

Edited by Bruce
  • Like 1

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm dipping in and out of this. It's hard to tell what's going on if you do that, though. Bruce, thanks for clarifying who the French speaking coach/choreographer was. Who was the female dancer?

It was Ekaterina Krysanova I believe - wodnerfully dramatic.

If you visit the YouTube page and look under it gives a index to who is doing what during the whole day. I'll try a copy and paste...

LIVESTREAM SCHEDULE (Times in UK BST)

THE AUSTRALIAN BALLET, MELBOURNE

www.youtube.com/TheAustralianBallet

03:00

Welcome

03:15

Class

04:45

Swan Lake in rehearsal

05:45

Swan Lake in rehearsal (pas de deux)

06:05

Ostinato in rehearsal

06:35

La Bayadère in rehearsal

THE BOLSHOI BALLET, MOSCOW

www.youtube.com/bolshoi

07:00

Welcome

07:07

Class

07:55

Interview with Alexander Vetrov and Ludmila Semenyaka, Senior Ballet Teachers

08:00

Svetlana Zakharova and Denis Rodkin in rehearsal, Principal Dancer and Leading Soloist

08:30

Interview with Svetlana Zakharova and Denis Rodkin

08:35

“Hero of our time” in Bauprobe

08:44

Interview with Yuri Grigorovich, Resident choreographer

08:49

“A Legend of Love” in rehearsal (corps de ballet)

09:24

“La Sylphide” in rehearsal

Interview with Artem Ovcharenko and Anna Tikhomirova, Principal Dancer and First Soloist

10:00

Interview with Anton Getman, Deputy General Director

10:07

“Taming of the Shrew” in rehearsal

10:40

Interview with Jean-Christophe Maillot, Choreographer; Director - Choreographer of the Ballet de Monte-Carlo;

Interview with Ekaterina Krysanova and Vladislav Lantratov, Principal Dancers

Interview with Sergey Filin, Artistic Director of the Bolshoi Ballet

10:45

Interview with Vladimir Urin, General Director, The Bolshoi Theatre of Russia

THE ROYAL BALLET, LONDON

www.youtube.com/royaloperahouse

11:00

Class

12:20

Age of Anxiety in rehearsal

12:45

Manon in rehearsal

13:05

Interview with Resident Choreographer Wayne McGregor

13:20

Cassandra in rehearsal

13:35

Interview with Kevin O’Hare. Director, The Royal Ballet

13:45

Don Quixote in rehearsal

14:15

Aeternum in rehearsal

14:35

Scène de ballet in rehearsal

THE NATIONAL BALLET OF CANADA, TORONTO

www.youtube.com/nationalballetcanada

15:05

Class

16:35

Manon Act 1 in rehearsal

17:35

Manon Act 2 in rehearsal

18:35

Nijinsky in rehearsal

SAN FRANCISCO BALLET

www.youtube.com/SFBallet

19:00

Class

20:20

Interview with Helgi Tomasson

20:25

Don Quixote in rehearsal

21:25

RAkU in rehearsal

22:00

Concerto Grosso in rehearsal

22:30

The Vertiginous Thrill of Exactitude in rehearsal

• Like 2

Thank you, Bruce, that was precisely what I wanted to know.  Really upset that I missed La Sylphide, which I didn't see scheduled, but at least I now know when I can get out to the bank, Sainsbury's and so on.  Days off are all very well, but I really can't spend the whole of it in front of a screen :)

Class is quite dull and it's going to go on for quite a while. Perhaps the 'Day' should have stayed with the Bolshoi for a bit longer.

Horses for courses, aileen - I would happily watch company class all day! :-)

• Like 7

Having a lovely time dipping in and out.  Bolshoi for breakfast - what a treat. I  hope it will all be available after the event on Youtube.  I can't agree with you Aileen, I loved RB company class - very much a dancers' class.  What struck me was how strong yet homogeneous the overall standard was.  The corps members looking very good alongside the principals  And the final coda when everyone let rip was great fun! 

Here are links to the individual dancers, in case you want to try identifying those in class:

http://www.roh.org.uk/about/the-royal-ballet/artists

There has been such an influx of new dancers recently that I'm starting to have trouble putting names to faces without having to think about it.  BTW, was it just me, or were there very few principals/senior dancers in the class this morning?

Well, he hasn't danced it before or, if he has, he hasn't danced this version. Perhaps people who have danced a part before start rehearsals later. Tbh, given the plugs for various upcoming performances including the cinema broadcast, I'm inclined to think that this rehearsal was decided upon as a marketing/PR tool as the RB had to show Carlos doing something because the public would want to see him. Carlos just exuded charisma and 'Spanish' style in the studio. Vadim looked a bit pallid in comparison stylistically but, of course, he is still learning the part and I have no doubt that once he is on stage he will make a convincing Basilio.

I'm sure he will: I've got a ticket for his debut :)

I see the boys in Scenes de Ballet are being cast lower than a decade ago: then, it was all First Soloists except for Josh Tuifua, who was a Soloist, if I remember correctly.

I 'm not normally keen on rehearsals but watching the RB Scenes de Ballet rehearsal was almost as engrossing as the live performance- which I am looking forward to keenly. Maybe it was watching Christopher Carr at work- truly impressive. A marvellous and in a way moving experience.

I could not believe, while watching a bit of Acosta coaching Muntagirov earlier- that people were posting critical comments on youtube saying things like "his arms are all wrong!"

I wonder how these folk would like it, if they were to be filmed live at work, practising something-and for it to be broadcast all around the world, for all and sundry -of, shall we say, ahem, varying levels of knowledge!- to comment on?

One has sympathy for the dancers who have to put up with this really.

That's why I'm not keen on watching rehearsals normally-it feels as if it should be pivate- live performance is fair game of course for comment, positive and negative.

• Like 2

We did quieten those people down by explaining that Vadim is at the early stages of learning the role, and that he was marking much of it as he was learning the steps. They all changed their tune when they saw how he could jump and turn! :)

How wonderful to see Emma Maguire back rehearsing 'Scenes'. I do wish her well.

• Like 7

How wonderful to see Emma Maguire back rehearsing 'Scenes'. I do wish her well.

I thought I saw Emma Maguire- it was great to see her. What she must be going through doesn't bear thinking about. I wish her well too.

Edited by Rachelm
  • Like 3

My picture keeps 'pixilating' sometimes so much so that its impossible to see anything for a few seconds.  Is anybody else having this problem?

I lost my picture altogether after about six hours, but by turning the modem/router off and on and doing the same to the computer I have recovered a perfectly acceptable picture.

I don't think that people were particularly rude, not in the grand scheme of things (on social media). If you put yourself online you take the risk that someone will post something about you which is not entirely positive.

There were some incredibly rude and vulgar remarks during Ludovico Ondiviela's rehearsal, totally uncalled for and which no-one deserves, even if they put themselves online. Constructive criticism, fine, but not that.

But the individual dancers have not "put themselves on line" have they- they are there because the company have decided to take part.

I still think it is rude and ignorant of anyone who is taking advantage of this visual eavesdropping  to  criticise those individuals -it is not in the spirit of the thing at all.