World Ballet Day Live - TODAY FOLKS

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

There is: just click somewhere in the timeline.  I don't think there are any specific bookmarks, though, which is a pity.

Hmm, the timeline is filled in in red and I can't get any change. Never mind, I'm enjoying the Canadians (I enjoyed hearing Dowell encouraging more arm from a Manon "very Antoinette") and perhaps as Jane L writes it'll be possible to rematch once it's finished.

There were some incredibly rude and vulgar remarks during Ludovico Ondiviela's rehearsal, totally uncalled for and which no-one deserves, even if they put themselves online. Constructive criticism, fine, but not that.

Quite! There is always the off button if no likey.

• Like 1

Completely forgot this was one. Enjoying the Canadians but was wondering if anybody knew how to access the earlier streams, in particular the Royal Ballet one.

Go to the screen put up by Bruce at the start of the day and draw the red line back using the timings posted above as a guide. I lost connectivity (not the fault of the streaming) at 12 noon and have just been able to enjoy the RB sessions in retrospect with no problem at all. However, why oh why could the Royal Ballet's sound levels not have been as strong as those of the Bolshoi or NBC?

More reflections on an amazing day in due course...........but just to say for now that I'm glad I missed seeing the remarks online (referred to above) which showed little understanding of how roles are learned and rehearsed.

Completely forgot this was one. Enjoying the Canadians but was wondering if anybody knew how to access the earlier streams, in particular the Royal Ballet one.

The stream is available in 48 hours to view at leisure, I believe the Royal Opera House wrote on the comments feed earlier today- then you will be able to watch anything you missed. 

Hmm, the timeline is filled in in red and I can't get any change. Never mind, I'm enjoying the Canadians (I enjoyed hearing Dowell encouraging more arm from a Manon "very Antoinette") and perhaps as Jane L writes it'll be possible to rematch once it's finished.

Really?  It worked fine for me on Chrome - just hover over it and thumbnails should come up to give you an idea of where you are.

Loving the live streaming of the Bolshoi, National Ballet of Canada, The Royal Ballet and now the San Francisco Ballet. Missed the Australian ballet due to being asleep! Fascinating insight into a day in the life of ballet companies.

Real treat seeing Guillaume Côté, Sonia Rodriguez and the dances of the NBC rehearse 'Manon', also interesting for me as I will be seeing the Royal Ballet perform it on Sunday.

Just fabulous! 

Loving the Don Q rehearsal. No fussy leotards or raggedy practice clothes here. The atmosphere in the studio is quite cool though; the coach is not one for effusive praise. The new corps member dancing Cupid is a delight. Is Sofiane Sylve wearing a neck brace?

I'd expected an interview with my former Cambridge Phil MD, Martin West, now conducting on a grander scale at SFB, but perhaps I missed it.  And oddly I've found today that watching early rehearsals is more intriguing than seeing the final products - all in all, quite a day!

Great.  I get home to find that apparently only 4 hours - presumably the SFB slot - are available on the URL Bruce posted above.  What's happened to the rest of it?!

Desperately trying to find the NBC section, which I totally missed, and everything I click on is again the SFB bit!  Message on the website claims it's "coming soon", but if the thing is only going to be up there in full for 48 hours then we need to get it now, not later :(

Great.  I get home to find that apparently only 4 hours - presumably the SFB slot - are available on the URL Bruce posted above.  What's happened to the rest of it?!

Desperately trying to find the NBC section, which I totally missed, and everything I click on is again the SFB bit!  Message on the website claims it's "coming soon", but if the thing is only going to be up there in full for 48 hours then we need to get it now, not later :(

I agree, Alison. There seems to be a mix-up with SFB RB and NBC as they all come up as San Francisco. I think that they may appear later, so says NCB at least.

These seem to work when I paste the URLs into the address bar:-

San Francisco Ballet

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LT7xGVTO_JM

The Australian Ballet

The Bolshoi Ballet

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ddf3pLzNSzA

If you have enough bandwidth it is possible to increase the definition with the cogwheel in the bottom right hand corner up towards HD. Australia only starts after a five minute leader.

These seem to work from here, for me at least, but to get the Australian one in full screen it is best to click on the words 'World Ballet Day - The Australian Ballet' in the top left hand corner of the pictured screen. This will take you to the UTube page where you can open it properly and go to full screen.

Oh if only I had time to watch more! Picture this .... students in class doing calculations, one studen t "where is that music coming from?" another "not sure, Dr Dramascientist can you hear music?" ...dramascientist sitting at desk staring at ipad " oh er yes just doinfg some research on sound for my grade 7s" quickly getting rid od you tube World Ballet Day! :)

Now having had the privilege of taking a peek at a large part of the 20 hours, what a joy it was.  The award for best coiffed hair MUST go to Mr. Filin.  It also seemed (or certainly was made to appear) that he moved about and observed freely and so one prays that a tad more of his eyesight has been restored and the scars on his face are now certainly well disguised.  

I felt the actual media presentation of the Australians - in terms of planned continuity - was very good.  The film on 'ballet men' was beautifully shot and it was exciting to at last get a peek at a rehearsal for the Stanton Welsh take on BAYADERE which I know is now lodged in several respected companies including Boston Ballet.  The Bolshoi certainly wins hands down for the best facilities.  The studio where class was conducted was breathtaking .... and that mock rehearsal space ... with a full stage and orchestra pit was a luxury devoutly to be wished.  Mr. Grigorovitch was certainly all about business but it was (at least for me) extraordinary to be able to see one of my personal favourites in the LEGEND OF LOVE rehearsal room, Ludmilla Semenyaka.  (I vitally remember her as an entrancing Bolshoi Raymonda.  I last saw her as an enchanting Cinderella in Michael Corder's production for ENB, which I must confess I do consider a internationally vital company.  Having fielded performances from the likes of Makarova to Maximova; from Nureyev to Sombert how could it not be?)  I was reminded that Semenyaka was Osipova's first coach and you can certainly see so much of her VERY special focused zeal in the Royal Ballet principal's performances.  

I was also thrilled to see Christophe Malliot rehearse his production of THE TAMING OF THE SHREW for the Bolshoi.  What an apt treat it seems.  I so enjoyed the illegally filmed production video bits (over an hour of them) that I saw on the net before they were (rightfully) removed just after its premiere.  There was such a beautiful pas de deux for Chudin and Seminova following in the Bianca strand.  I do so hope the Bolshoi bring it with them the next time they appear here.  I'm so sorry that it's not being included in their cinema broadcasts.  I, for one, would happily buy a ticket.  It is so sad that the likes of certain British critics (CC included) damned Malliot's take on Lac without specifically noting their critical measure in its regard (i.e., entirely out of hand)  [Of course that now is often blamed on a lack of space.  I begin to question why they need their reviews at all if they must be so incomplete.]  There was much in that presentation I felt and certainly his fine Monte Carlo Company.  I had been warned against it but I did find myself enjoying it and certainly many audience members surrounding me at the Coliseum - not that it was anywhere near full - appeared to be thrilled.  (I was surprised that the very good Russian host didn't chat with Chudin briefly at some point as he could easily slip between both Russian and English and would have saved her the need to translate.)  

I felt in all presentations of various company classes that the men somehow came out better than the women.  There was no question but that Artem Overcharenko had perfect placement throughout as did Steven MacRae in the Royal's addition.  The San Francisco crowd were AMAZING.  Luke Ingram and Joseph Walsh shone.  I know the latter has never danced here.  I was so lucky to have seen him in five different ballets in Paris this summer (which with New York must still remain the two KEY centres for exposure to world dance, with London undeniably coming tops in the next rank) when SFB did their 18 programmes over three weeks there this summer.  San Francisco won hands down I think for the largest number of principals in a class and I thought Felipe Diaz was a most winning ballet master.  Unquestionably I admired his dazzling lingual skills, watching him so easily slip between English, French, Spanish and, at one point I noticed, a casual comment in Portuguese.   (How wonderful to see Diaz and the fantastic Patrick Armand, both former ENB stalwarts, move on to further glory in San Francisco and a company which is surely one of the jewels in our world's ballet crown.)  It was also lovely to catch glimpses of the very talented Esteban Hernandez in the SFB class and Forsythe rehearsal.  He was very much an audience favourite in the RBS graduation show the year before last. He is obviously in a good place to further develop his own very obvious skill much as his brother had before him.  

I thought Helgi Thommason was most caring and direct in his support and corrections of his SFB productions.  The respect for him was clearly palpable.  He too is an alum of major international companies, his native Royal Danish Ballet, that major hitter LFB/ENB and, of course, NYCB where Balanchine latterly created so many roles on him.  He was, in fact, the very first Seigfried I ever saw over half a century ago when he partnered Mania Gielgud in SWAN LAKE for LFB/ENB at the Royal Festival Hall.  I was five years old at the time and I STILL remember it vividly.  He was always the most musical of dancers.  (By the bye -- does ANYONE know what the special announcement that was supposed to be broadcast yesterday at 9.00 am by ENB actually WAS???  I can't find record of it myself and would be keen to know.)  

The highlight of the Royal's programme FOR ME was the rehearsal of the THE AGE (indeed 'Art' as it here seemed we witnessed) OF ANXIETY.  I can't wait to see this.  Scarlett came over gloriously well and was enticingly precise in his mature authority.  With its three men and one stunningly featured woman ... not to mention the fantastic Bernstein score ... it very much reminded me of the glory that is Robbins' FANCY FREE ... but, then, how could it not?  T'was SO exciting.  

The Canadian segment was occasionally a bit of a media muddle I felt (I didn't warm to the host at all) but it was lovely to see Dowell coach a variety of dancers in the segments from MANON.  (Cote handled the partnering very well I thought).  I was so pleased when Dowell praised him.  In the Royal's MANON segment I felt it only a tad unfortunate that they did not give a go to another principal pairing.  It would have been a wonderful gift if they might have considered giving Hayward a follow-up on her riveting debut the day previous.  Assuredly it would have introduced her to a deserving world audience.  As it was it did appear to be a somewhat blatant commercial for the upcoming cinema broadcast (taking nothing away, of course, from the principals who fulfilled their responsibilities more than dutifully.)  Never mind.  It was a great thrill to see Christopher Carr work his legendary magic over one of Ashton's masterworks in the final segment.  

It was also refreshing to be able to see NBoC's Dylan Tedaldi (who had been the film maker for young Rob Binet's ROH 'Myth' film last month) dance the soldier solo from Neumeier's NIJINSKY.  Neumeier's many productions over the years have not had much of a look-see locally so this was indeed a privilege.  In ALL World Ballet Day provided such a wonderful feast for us to enjoy.  I selfishly wanted them to do it all over again and bring in other notable companies like New York City Ballet, Paris Opera Ballet, National Ballet of China, the Royal Danish Ballet, ENB and the Mikhailovsky and/or the Mariinksy.  Much thanks to ALL responsible for this act of much joy.

Edited by Bruce Wall
  • Like 3

Post 54: "........In the Royal's MANON segment I felt it only a tad unfortunate that they did not give a go to another principal pairing.  It would have been a wonderful gift if they might have considered giving Hayward a follow-up on her riveting debut the day previous.  Assuredly it would have introduced her to a deserving world audience.  As it was it did appear to be a somewhat blatant commercial for the upcoming cinema broadcast (taking nothing away, of course, from the principals who fulfilled their responsibilities more than dutifully.)  Never mind.  It was a great thrill to see Christopher Carr work his legendary magic over one of Ashton's masterworks in the final segment".

I don't think Marianela Nunez would have been all too pleased if that had happened!   After all she IS a Principal and known to audiences worldwide (not Miss Hayward).  

"blatant commercial" in your view Bruce but they do NEED to make money :)

I personally enjoyed watching the RB in class, the rehearsal of "Aeternum" with Soloists Yasmine Naghdi, Trystan Dyer and James Hay, and "Scene de ballet" with Christopher Carr as the ballet master. 

I would only have loved to have seen more of this.  As it is, it's now too late, unless I take myself off to the library and station myself in front of the computers for hours on end, for days on end ... :(

And did anyone else have problems with the picture freezing during the Bolshoi Sylphide section?

(I vitally remember her as an entrancing Bolshoi Raymonda.  I last saw her as an enchanting Cinderella in Michael Corder's production for ENB, which I must confess I do consider a internationally vital company.  Having fielded performances from the likes of Makarova to Maximova; from Nureyev to Sombert how could it not be?)  

That, of course, was back in the 80s (and probably 70s?) ...

I can't see ENB getting involved with something like this in the present setup, I'm afraid: even in these days of miniaturisation, the broadcast equipment I saw would take up too much room in their studios, I think.

and I thought Felipe Diaz was a most winning ballet master.  Unquestionably I admired his dazzling lingual skills, watching him so easily slip between English, French, Spanish and, at one point I noticed, a casual comment in Portuguese.   (How wonderful to see Diaz and the fantastic Patrick Armand, both former ENB stalwarts, move on to further glory in San Francisco and a company which is surely one of the jewels in our world's ballet crown.) 

Yes, I thought I noticed one comment in an unusual language.  Wasn't Diaz with ENB at one stage, or am I confusing him with someone else?  And was Armand actually involved with this?  I thought he was at the SFB School?

Bruce, did you know that the Bolshoi are taking Shrew to Monaco Grimaldi Forum for 3 performances in December (19,20,21mat). The 19th looks like a private event but tickets for 20 & 21 are on sale (top price euros 48).

My jaw drops in disbelief :o

I don't think Marianela Nunez would have been all too pleased if that had happened!   After all she IS a Principal and known to audiences worldwide (not Miss Hayward).  

And from what I saw, Miss Hayward had quite a lot of other things to be doing yesterday.  Principal roles one day, back in the corps the next: that's the life for up-and-coming young dancers :(

National Ballet of Canada is now available on YouTube:-

Curses.  Too late for me :(  I now wish I hadn't bothered to watch any of this live, but had waited for the recorded version.

Anyway, thanks for posting the links, Norman.

Nina, I didn't mean to suggest that Ms. Nunez, (one of the most generous of artists I have always felt), should have been excluded merely that the assignment might well/best have been - in this historic instance - and recognising the importance of the RB anniversary - shared.   There are so many talented people undertaking the roles - a goodly number for the first time.  I'm sorry if the sloppiness of my own rapid construction in framing that sentence was unclear.  

Edited by Bruce Wall
  • Like 1

Wasn't Diaz with ENB at one stage, or am I confusing him with someone else?  And was Armand actually involved with this?  I thought he was at the SFB School?

Yes, both were with ENB ... and both are at San Francisco in senior roles.  Armand heads up the SFB School.  Lucky them.  

Really, really enjoyed this - think its going to take me 3 days to watch it though! Caught half the Bolshoi yesterday, most of the RB (except for an urgent interruption, which I have since caught up with) and the first part in Toronto (but had to leave for Manon at ROH - tried watching on the iPad, but wizzed through my topped up allowance in no time at all!). So today caught up with Australia Ballet (particularly enjoyed the Swan Lake bits, and their presentation was spot on, I thought). Also caught up with San Francisco Ballet this afternoon, one of my fave companies. Particularly liked the Forsythe piece being reheared and corrected, and RaKu, as Yuan Yuan Tan is someone I could watch all day! Interesting seeing the differences in the way class done - as well as the similarities of course. Will be finishing the Canadians and hopefully Bolshoi tonight, then repeat RB tomorrow, and possibly SF as well, before the time runs out...

Does anyone know which of the official recordings are staying online after 48 hours? Is the plan is to take the 4 hour YouTube videos offline? I've only had time to watch snippets here and there.

Thanks

Yaffa