World Ballet Day Live - TODAY FOLKS

Does anyone know which of the official recordings are staying online after 48 hours? Is the plan is to take the 4 hour YouTube videos offline? I've only had time to watch snippets here and there.

I'm not sure what's happening, except that I noticed that the ROH took the Deloitte Ignite live relay off YouTube before I'd had a chance to watch *that*, if that's any indication.  I saw some reference to "edited" versions: whether that means it's cut down, or just cut up into more palatable-sized chunks, I don't know.

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I wonder why they are not leaving it all online indefinitely. Copyright restrictions on some of the pieces?? The obstacle can't be technical and I'd have thought each company's four hours would be a great promotional tool. (Of course it's not hard technically to save videos for later viewing,  but I prefer to respect the wishes of the producers where possible.) 

A pity that they weren't clear from the start what would be online and for how long. And 48 hours seems way too little time to catch up on 20+ hours of broadcast.

Yaffa

• Like 2

Just as I could have settled down and spent much of this weekend catching up on what I couldn't watch on Wednesday, most of it disappears! Wouldn't it have made much more sense to at least keep it on over the weekend for the workers/students of the world to be able to sit and watch the hours that they missed on Wednesday??!!

• Like 4

Thank you!!

Slowly I’m catching up... what a treat.  It’s awful that live streams via youtube are blocked for Germany, so I had to install a Proxy Add-on to my Firefox and then I could see some of the Bolshoi but the transmission was not very good. I also caught some of the RB class and the Manon rehearsal and the whole of SF Ballet.

I watched the other companies later on youtube and saved it on my computer. As a teacher I was very impressed by the way the classes were taught, especially in Australia and Canada. They don`t do grand pliés in fourth anymore, and I was very pleased of the constant reminding of “staying stacked” and the very cleverly thought out barre combinations as well as the building up of the balances. The allegro sections were lovely and so fast! Mr P who is an accompanist did very much appreciate the endurance of his colleagues. And we found the McRae family at the barre quite cute.

What I enjoyed most: It was wonderful to see Sir Anthony Dowell coaching the fantastic Canadian dancers in Manon (really brought tears to my eyes) and the Australians were absolutely awesome in Swan Lake. And Liam Scarlett! He is so incredibly musical and he knows exactly what he wants and how it is to be done. And Christopher Carr, counting Stravinsky out loud and maneuvring his troops like a General.

World Ballet Day should become a yearly feast. So enlightening for us who can’t travel all the time to visit our favorite companies!

• Like 1

They don`t do grand pliés in fourth anymore,

Which I am delighted to hear.  I don't know why they've been dropped, but I suppose someone must have discovered that they do something nasty to the knees, or something.

Did anybody notice that the Australians started every excercise with the left side? That is quite unusual. I could imagine that they change the starting side every day, just to give the brain a little extra work.

Finally getting a chance to look at the NBC footage, and although I can hear the piano perfectly well, I'm struggling to make out what Dowell is saying.  Is it the equipment here, or has anyone else had the problem?  Also, the audio on the SFB sounds as though it's underwater :(

I suppose there's some good reason, that I'm simply not seeing, why San Francisco Ballet's four-hour World Ballet Day video on YouTube is private? I thought World Ballet Day was supposed to encourage the public to engage with ballet, not let people know how exclusive it is.

Edited by Melody