Any Vertigo sufferers?

Lisa O`Brien

I first started suffering from Vertigo [dizziness] about three or four months ago. Suddenly it felt as if my head was spinning,and as if everything was veering towards the left. I had an appointment with a Locum GP about something else,and mentioned it to her. She prescribed 5MG Prochlorperazine,to be taken one, three times a day. That`s fine,and they help,except when I forget to take them,and then the dizziness comes straight back.! I was in town one day last week. Felt fine,and just bent down to tie my shoelace. I nearly fell over; my balance just "went",and I felt a bit embarrassed as it was about eleven o`clock in the morning and it must have looked as if I was drunk.! Since my first batch of Meds I have been ordering another month`s supply via my GP`s surgery online,when I have run out. I must have had three month`s lot of them by now. However,I doubt very much whether my own doctor would even be aware that I have been taking them,with it being a Locum who initially prescribed them for me. I read online there could be an underlying medical condition which is causing the vertigo,and maybe it`s not just "Old Fart Syndrome" as I call it [i`m 47 in November]. Does anyone else on here suffer from Vertigo? Should I make an appointment to see my GP and talk to her about it ,or do you think I should just "keep taking the pills",and not annoy her with it? P.S. The Locum looked in my ears and told me I do NOT have an ear infection. Thanks.

Personally I would go and see your GP as three months is quite a long time to be on a new medication without any sort of review - especially if this is for the long term.  At my local surgery you would not have been able to renew your prescription past this point without a review by your GP of both your condition and your medication - I think you still have questions to ask and answers to get aswell as to exactly what is causing this dizziness and if the medication is likely to be short term (a cure) or for life (to manage a condition).  I don't think this classes as 'annoying your GP' - I think it is an appointment you need to make.

• Like 3

Hi Thequays, I have suffered from dizzy spells for aprox 9 years now and I would definetly recommend you go back to your GP as there are a number of very different conditions that can cause dizziness and you will never really know unless you attend a balance clinic where they can do a vast number of different tests to find a cause. As I said I have suffered for 9 years and over that time I have been misdiagnosed a number of times first I got...it's just vertigo, then I was told it was probably my eyes, next it was BPPVD and finally I was told it could be a swelling in the brain!! But after being referred to the balance clinic and undergoing numerous tests such as a MRI scan, blood tests, vision and hearing tests and balance organ tests they finally found that I suffer with a rare type of migraine that affects your balance centre and causes the dizziness called vestibular migraine. It's not like a headache migraine and you can't take tablets once it comes on but you can take tablets to prevent them from coming on, I chose to take nothing as the medication was an antidepressant in a milder dose but still can be just as addictive and have similar side effects but I was just glad to know what was wrong with me!! Also you can manage a lot

• Like 1

Illnesses that cause dizziness with diet so worth googling it to see if there is anything on the list of foods known to affect dizziness and see if there is anything on there that you eat a lot of, I know red wine, chocolate, cured meats and blue cheeses are on the list xx

• Like 1

Thanks for the advice.Forgot to mention. Sometimes I have Tinnitus [ringing in the ears] with it and sometimes I don`t. Seems to make no difference to the dizziness,but the Tinnitus DID start around the same time as the Vertigo,so could be connected.

Getting dizzy when bending down/standing up again is often associated with low blood pressure (which apparently is taken a lot more seriously in Germany than over her - but then *they* "don't have" M.E. over there).  I'd say you definitely ought to get yourself checked out properly.  Have you checked your medication online (British National Formulary, for example) to see whether it's appropriate for long-term administration? 

• Like 2

Make sure you mention the tinnitus too. For what its worth my brother started with dizziness and tinnitus and although it wasn't picked up on his first visit to the GP it did turn out to be an inner ear infection. You do need further investigation as Lema says and not just tablets without any review.

• Like 1

I had vertigo for many weeks before I was eventually referred to the Balance Clinic. The staff there carried out the Epley Manoevre and I was instantly cured! It was quite painless; I lay on the couch and they moved my head and neck into various positions. The vertigo has not come back but if it does I would definitely return to the Balance Clinic. Hope this is helpful.

• Like 2

I'm surprised the locum didn't say you should visit your own doctor and maybe undergo some tests, since there are so many things that can cause vertigo. The fact that the medication works is a useful piece of information for the doctor, but it really isn't good to carry on too much longer without exploring the cause, especially since it seems to come on immediately after you stop taking the pills.

Edited by Melody
  • Like 1

We had a similar set of circumstances.

Bending forward was quite an issue.

After much treatment abound various health professionals we stumbled across a vertigo physiotherapist.

He gave her exercises and now she's almost back to normal.

These exercises were using the eyes to strengthen muscles in the core of the neck.

Rather interesting. It might be worth a try.

• Like 1

I had acute labrinthitis a number of years ago ( most unpleasant) and it left me with benign positional vertigo. The only thing that has really helped me is the Epley manoeuvre which both my Doctor and the Balance Clinic have performed . Medication and the exercises given by the Balance Clinic unfortunately in my case weren't effective.

• Like 1

As a safety measure if you suffer from any of the balance condition take some precautions in your living/work space.

There are simple to install hand holds in bathtub or shower.  You can also install (easily done) a hand hold as you use a towel to dry off - which means bendiing over.  Don't hold on to the towel rack for support, it was not meant to take your weight.  None of these "holds" requires drilling holes.

Put something by your bedside that you can use to steady that first stand=up of the day or at night if you rise to go to the bathroom.  When you plan to stand up - sit for a few moments first and then stand still for a few moments before you begin walking.

Never bend over without holding on to something.  Check to see that all rugs and mats are anchored by non-slip rubber pads underneath.  

When you walk keep your hands free - not in a pocket.  That way they can help to break a fall.  Always hold on to a hand rail especially on stairs.  

• Like 3

Getting dizzy when bending down/standing up again is often associated with low blood pressure (which apparently is taken a lot more seriously in Germany than over her - but then *they* "don't have" M.E. over there).  I'd say you definitely ought to get yourself checked out properly.  Have you checked your medication online (British National Formulary, for example) to see whether it's appropriate for long-term administration? 

Thank you Alison,but I actually have HIGH blood pressure; am on two different meds for it and have had it for years now.!

Thank you all. I`ve made an appointment to see my own GP [the one who doesn`t know about it] for next Monday afternoon. It was horrible lay in bed last night. I was asleep,or almost asleep and I turned from lying on my back to lying on my side and the dizzyness when I moved was particularly extreme.

It could well be labrynthitis ......I too had this ......and it's really horrible as it made me sick as well.....though many years ago now and have had tinnitus ever since......though one doctor I had thought the tinnitus was caused by swimming!!

I think both high and low blood pressure can cause dizziness.

You've done the right thing by arranging to see your GP anyway.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Unfortunatgely the Epley movement has not worked for me.  I get dizzy turning over in bed - quite common apparently.  I can't remember the name of my condition but it has something to do with bits of calcium floating around in the ear canal.  I also had a bout of vertigo after bending over the sink to have my hair rinsed by the mobile hairdrasser really nasty and I was physically sick when that happened.  I suppose I ought to confess to my GP that I didn't sleep upright for two nights after she perfoemd the Epley which is why it didn't work but I'm a bit scared to go back!!

• Like 1

The Epley manoeuvre is designed to move the bits that float around in the ear canal around as they touch the fine hairs and it is this that interferes with the balance mechanism as far as I understand it. It may need to be performed several times to be effective and yes it isn't a pleasant experience. The balance clinic if you can be referred will do extensive tests which can help identify the problem. In my case the problem never goes away completely but can be helped and it is worse sometimes than others. Good luck with finding some help.

I had to have the Epley manoevre done a couple of times and was also given exercises to control the condition.Cant remember them now as its 15 years since my last major attack of vertigo.

So I would recommend trying the Epley manouevre again, maybe by a different person. Its not pleasant, I remember two people treating me. But it was worth it. Its a horrible condition.

I forgot to update you all on how it went with my GP. She gave me a thorough examination,checking at the back of the retina,[she said,"Gosh,your eyesight is very bad, isn`t it??] which made me laugh. I`m as blind as a bat and have been since I was 15.],and moving my head from side to side and up and down. Her prognosis is that I definately have Vertigo but that it isn`t being caused by something. She said it`s just one of those things sometimes people can develop without there being any underlying illness. So I have to continue to take 3 Prochlorperazine [5mg] tablets every day. They sort of keep it at bay,but if I forget to take them for one day I know about it !!  She has added them to the list of my regular meds that I take, so I guess it means I will be on them from now on all the time then.

• Like 1

Unfortunatgely the Epley movement has not worked for me.  I get dizzy turning over in bed - quite common apparently.  I can't remember the name of my condition but it has something to do with bits of calcium floating around in the ear canal.  I also had a bout of vertigo after bending over the sink to have my hair rinsed by the mobile hairdrasser really nasty and I was physically sick when that happened.  I suppose I ought to confess to my GP that I didn't sleep upright for two nights after she perfoemd the Epley which is why it didn't work but I'm a bit scared to go back!!

Gosh you must go back,Porthesia and tell him what`s been happening.