A Levels vs Dance Btec?

swanprincess

Hiya! Just seeking some opinions...

I am aiming to audition for vocational schools aged 17, but I can't decide what to do in the meantime. The options are;

Stay at the college I am at, taking A Levels in Dance, Drama and English. The thing is, I don't get on that well with the dance teacher, although the drama teacher is lovely.

Or, I could go to another local college which offers a Level 3 BTEC in Dance. That would give me a lot more dance experience in different styles, and also it would be fairly similar to the intensity of vocational schools- 5 days a week 9-to-5, with lots if performance experience. But if I went there, would that rule out the possibility of auditioning for drama/MT schools at 18? I do quite a lot of drama outside school but wouldn't have an A Level in it, would that matter?! (So if I eventually changed my mind about a career in the dance industry, would I be able to go into drama??)

Or, I could go to that college to do a Level 3 BTEC in Drama. But then I wouldn't really be able to get to a suitable standard to audition for vocational ballet schools next year....

Any advice is greatly appreciated :)

I am sure there have been a number of discussions on this but I would aim for the Btec in Dance for the very reasons you have outlined. The course will give you a wide variety of dance and will get you dancing all day. Bare in mind that each course is only as good as the teachers so find out where their graduates have gone onto in terms of schools. The full 2 year level 3 extended diploma is worth the same as. 3 a levels and is considered in exactly the same way as a levels for university, havering the same points value. Vocational courses at higher level prefer Btec students as they are used to working hard and for full days, studying longer dance pieces as more like schools rather than a levels which tend to only look at short extracts.

• Like 2

Just my experience with drama, if you do the edexcel exam board it is very hard! There is a lot of writing and theory, as well as a written exam in the second year. Don't know how you feel about that bit, you might love the theory like I did but I just thought I'd mention it.

My sisters both auditioned for drama schools, as far as I can tell the drama A level and any other LAMDA exams are pretty much meaningless to them. Everyone gets an audition and it is your performance in that which counts. Most will expect a monologue so maybe private drama lessons would be of more use? Don't know if this is relevant so if you want more information about the whole drama school thing feel free to PM me :) A BTEC in anything will not rule out drama school as long as you have the right practical skills for the auditions ie. you are at the right level to stand out dancing/acting and this could come from the BTEC or classes outside.

Have you considered a BTEC in Performing Arts? My sister did it and it combines dance and drama which might be the best of both :) Maybe you can continue with dance outside of college, then take drama, english and another subject if you don't like the dance teacher? That would give you the academic grades if you need them in the future then you can still keep up your level of dance for next year? Hope this helps a little bit, good luck with whatever you decide to do :)

• Like 2

I wouldn't worry at all about whether any specific qualifications are needed if you applied for drama/musical theatre courses - the answer is no. They will not care whether you have any qualifications at all, they will just want to see that you can act (and dance and sing); just like dance school auditions.

• Like 2

Following on from what Munchkin said, another consideration is are you "academic"  - A levels are hard!  The only A level of the three I have any experience in is English, but to get a really respectable grade you need to do an awful lot of wider reading.  They take a huge time commitment ..  Do you prefer exams or are you good at coursework?  They both require huge amounts of effort and discipline, but maybe a different skillset.

I was pleasantly surprised how acceptable my son's Extended Btech Diploma was when applying for university places (technical theatre).  He got offers from everywhere he applied, and his "hands on" experience of having undertaken, for example, professional work in a full panto run, worked on outdoor large scale musical theatre events, and stagemanaged events for local semi-pro companies as part of his Btech means he is still considerably ahead of his coursemates who took the A level route.

• Like 2

I agree with Meadowblythe - my older dd is in her last year of a levels and has found it very hard to keep up a good standard of dance, working, and attending her part time theatre school, plus keep on top of homework (she wants to do Musical Theatre).

Younger dd successfully auditioned for a local private dance college. The fees include all dance classes but exams and private Singing and Drama classes, trips are extra Her provisional timetable for September is:

Mondays:

9.00-9.30am - tutor group

9.30-10.45am - Hip Hop

11.00-12.15pm - Jazz

12.15-1.15pm - Alternative Dance (Wk 1)

- Lunch (Wk 2)

- Body Conditioning (Wk 3)

1.15-2.15pm - Open Ballet (Wk 2)

- Lunch (Wk 1 and 3)

2.15-3.30pm - Beginners Advanced 1 Modern

3.30-4.45pm - Contemporary

From 3.30pm private Singing and Drama lessons (dd is working towards Grade 7 Singing and Grade 6 LAMDA exams)

Tuedays:

9.00-10.15am - Adv 2 RAD Ballet

10.30-11.45am - Adv 1 RAD Ballet

12.00-1.15pm - DDI Modern

1.15-2.00pm - Lunch

2.30-3.30pm - Intermediate Modern

3.30-4.30pm - Commercial Jazz

4.45-5.30pm - Pilates

5.30-7.00pm - Adv 1 ISTD Ballet

Wednesdays:

9.00-10.15pm - Open Ballet

10.30-11.45pm - Contemporary

11.45-12.45pm - Pointe Work (Wk 1)

- Body Conditioning (Wk 2)

12.30-1.00pm - Lunch

1.15-2.00pm - Intermediate Tap

1.45-3.00pm - Jazz

3.15-4.00pm - Health and Safety/Teaching Theory

5.15-6.00pm - Adv 1 Tap

6.00-6.45pm - Intermediate Tap

6.45-7.30pm - Stretch and Limber

7.30-8.30pm - Intermediate Modern

8.30-10.00pm - DDI and DDE Modern

Thursdays:

9.00-10.15am - DDI Tap

10.30-11.30am - American Tap

11.30-1.00pm - Workshop

-1.30pm - DDI and DDE Ballet Class

1.30-2.15pm - Lunch

2.15-4.00pm - Adv 1 ISTD Ballet and Pointe

4.00-4.45pm - Health and Safety/Teaching Theory

8.45-10.15pm - DDI and DDE Tap

Fridays:

9.00-10.00am - Drama

10.15-12.00pm - Musical Theatre

11.45-12.45pm - DDE Tap

12.00-2.00 - Private lessons in Singing and Drama

12.00-1.00pm - Lunch

1.00-3.00pm - Jazz

3.15-4.30pm - Workshop

Alternate Sundays

4 hours Ballet (dd's associate Russian Ballet classes)

The A level in a Drama won't matter at all.

My friend has a 17 year old son trying to get a foot in the drama world.

Quite often some of the more prestigious drama schools prefer slightly older students anyway .......older than 18 even....but any experience you can get in productions and workshops summer courses etc will be invaluable.

If you were auditioning for a ballet company I doubt very much whether they would be that interested in whether you had an A level in dance......just can you dance!!

This is not to say A levels and similar qualifications etc are not important ......they are ......especially if you are more academically inclined.

My 17 year old youngest dd hopes to follow a MT route and having an older sister who went to vocational ballet school at 16 initally thought she would follow a similar route. Last year we looked into all her options which included auditioning for MT courses, extended BTec at local college in either dance or musical theatre or 'A' levels at sixth form. I would say she is a good average academically so was concerned she might struggle with 'A' levels (I had seen amount of work my middle non-dancing, very academic dd had to do for these) and was initally inclined towards the more practical BTec. However on making enquiries I was most unimpressed with the standard of the BTec courses at our local college, although I am aware there are many excellent courses around, and also the attitude of the students who seemed to think that they would be able to walk straight onto a west-end stage after college! This was reinforced by attending an open day at dds favourite MT college and speaking with the vice-principle who said it made no difference to them at all if students were 16 or 18; made financial sense to get two more years free education and some more qualifications and that they favoured 'A' levels over the BTec provided a high-level of dance was kept up as well. As a result dd is now just about to sit AS levels in Performance Studies (this is more practically based than drama), Media, English and Maths. She attends a wonderful dance school and takes part in several amateur MT productions each year. She is very busy but it has taught her to manage her time very well and was the right decision for her.

Having had one classical ballet dd and one (hopefully) MT I would say entry onto either of these courses at any of the 'big' well-known places is entirely down to how you perform at audition so providing that you can access good-quality dance etc outside school/college you should choose the route you would happiest with. The only time I can forsee that the actual subjects studied would matter would be if you wanted to apply for a university dance/drama course but even then if you have other qualification in these areas you would probably still be ok.

It might be worth contacting a couple of the places you would like to apply to at 18 and asking their advice.

Is the btec a 2 year course? If it is, another thing to consider is that if you plan to audition again next year (have I understood that correctly from your post?) then as far as I'm aware, leaving a 2 year btec course after 1 year does not give you any kind of qualification, whereas if you did A levels after one year you would gain AS level qualifications. This would mean that if you ever wanted to complete your A levels later in life you would only have to do the A2 part of the course. Someone please correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe with a btec, any credits you build up along the way are lost if you leave.

Of course as everybody has pointed out above, you would gain many things from the btec in dance unrelated to the actual qualification, it is just something to think about.

• Like 1

Hi Chasse

Yes the Btec is a 2 year course- which would mean leaving after a year, with a 90-credit diploma as opposed to an extended diploma after 2 years. They said that we do have to re audition for the 2nd year of the Btec, so it seems that some students leave after a year; I was talking to a young lady at the audition who had done first year, then taken a year out and was re auditioning to get in to 2nd year- which implies that it is possible to complete part 2 of the extended diploma at a later date but I'm not completely sure!! Xx

That is correct Swanprincess. The whole qualification is a 2 year one but usually split into 2 x 1 year quals. The 90 credit diploma is equivilant to 2 AS levels. I have students who will complete their 1st year in 2 weeks but who won't, for a variety of reasons, be going onto their second year. As you say, they can come back to complete their second year at a later date, subject to funding. It is the deal option in your situation! There is an academic element to the course and we certainly expect the students to work just as hard on this aspect as well as the practical side. The bias is is probably 70/30.

• Like 2

Yes, it is usually possible to complete the Btec qualification at a later date carrying over the credits you have already gained. It is important to note that a Btec courses vary hugely in quality but it seems as if the one you are considering is good.

Conversely, the syllabus for A-level does change and it might not be possible to complete the full A-level if you leave it too long. You would still have the AS though.

You've mentioned, ballet, MT and drama schools in your first post. Are you still undecided which to go for? They are all very different!

Jaylou62 - That timetable is ridiculous! Are all those classes compulsory?

I wonder what will be covered in the health and safety sessions (although I can guess as it probably is the course content of the ISTD DDI) but it would be ironic if the students learned about overtraining.....

@Dr Dance - the college timetable is subject to change and classes also depend on the individual dancer's current level. Dd probably won't do RAD and ISTD ballet (she currently does RAD). She will do Intermediate Tap and Modern and will take both exams before Christmas. She will do DDI/DDE teacher training but probably won't have to do evening classes - previous college students have if they were at a lower level when they started (expected level of at least Intermediate standard in one or more dance genres). There's also part-time students who fit college classes around A levels. Bit confusing - guess we won't really know until September when dd starts.

• Like 1

Hi Swan Princess.  I work in an FE college and would suggest that you discuss your options with the staff at the college.  Quite often, If the college has a sixth form, you can do an AS  alongside a BTEC level 3 diploma if they deem you academically capable, which I am sure you are.  FE colleges are also required to give impartial advice and guidance to all students and prospective students, so they should be able to give you all the possible options.  If not, then I would advise finding another college.

Personally I don't think your choice of subjects will have much bearing on whether you go for dance or drama at 18.  Both ballet schools and drama schools audition and look for their own criteria, none of which will be your exam results!

Good luck with whatever you choose to do.  Follow your heart as your will be happier in your studies. :)

• Like 4

Thank you :) I suggested to mum that I want to do the Btec, she mentioned that it would be good, because then I wouldn't need to do dance classes outside of school. Anyone's dd who has done a Btec in dance, because it isn't specifically ballet/vocational school, did you carry on with classes at your local dance school?! I think I should, but mum thinks that dance 5 days a week, 9.30-4.30, is plenty. I'm just concerned that it wouldn't give me enough ballet training, also application forms for vocational school ask about local dance schools attended....

Edited to correct Autocorrect!!

Edited by swanprincess

The only advice I would give,Swanprincess is to ask the college if any ballet is involved in the BTEC. I don`t think there is,or if there is i would be surprised if it was of the standard you are already at. So you will then have to take on board the amount of work/coursework/performances/rehearsals which might be involved to get the BTEC qualification AS WELL as doing ballet classes in the evenings. That,to me, sounds like an awful,awful,lot of work. Just something for you to find out for yourself about,one way or the other.

• Like 1

There is a ballet unit available for staff to choose but I would suggest that your own level of dance, especially ballet, needs to be maintained and the Btec is unlikely to offer that high level. My DD did Btec dance but had already passed her Adv 1 before going there and was studying at the place CAT. She therefore did no external dance classes. She was at a very very much higher level of ballet than anyone else on the course but was challenged and stretched in other ways. Hope that helps.

Heather

Aka Taximom

I'd strongly advise you to continue with external classes as well.

The two colleges local to me who run the Btec do so in conjunction with two large Locsl dance schools, they provide the course/classes & the college provides the funding. They are run along vocational lines going way beyond the btec syllabus but most ordinary colleges won't be at a high enough level.

Swanprincess, if the Btec course is not going to give you enough high quality ballet training then I do wonder whether you might be better off doing traditional A levels and continuing your training with your local teacher. I think that you should discuss the matter with your current teacher anyway. Would you be considering this course if you weren't planning to apply to vocational (ballet) school?

• Like 2

You could also consider a Btech in a different subject rather than dance, especially if you had concerns about the standard of teaching. You could continue with your dance outside of college as you do now and widen your skill set at the same time - also makes a good back up if auditions didn't go your way. Lots of excellent dance related degree courses at various universities. My DD's friend is off to Roehampton (sp?) In Sept part of the course will allow her to train in America for a period of time.

• Like 2

Hiya! Just seeking some opinions...

I am aiming to audition for vocational schools aged 17, but I can't decide what to do in the meantime. The options are;

Stay at the college I am at, taking A Levels in Dance, Drama and English. The thing is, I don't get on that well with the dance teacher, although the drama teacher is lovely.

Or, I could go to another local college which offers a Level 3 BTEC in Dance. That would give me a lot more dance experience in different styles, and also it would be fairly similar to the intensity of vocational schools- 5 days a week 9-to-5, with lots if performance experience. But if I went there, would that rule out the possibility of auditioning for drama/MT schools at 18? I do quite a lot of drama outside school but wouldn't have an A Level in it, would that matter?! (So if I eventually changed my mind about a career in the dance industry, would I be able to go into drama??)

Or, I could go to that college to do a Level 3 BTEC in Drama. But then I wouldn't really be able to get to a suitable standard to audition for vocational ballet schools next year....

Any advice is greatly appreciated

Hello :)

I am at the moment studying 4 AS levels (first year of a levels) at a sixth form/ college. However I am leaving this September to start The School of Ballet theatre uk. I have many friends who go to vocational schools and all have said that in interviews for professional schools, that they are ALWAYS very impresses when you say you do A Levels. I personally study Dance and drama so if you stuck of which one to pick to do a BTEC you could always do both at A level. I really enjoy studying dance a level as their is both theory and practical as you get to learn so much about the body and how it works.

Ohh and feeling you dont have any experience in drama is fine as I didnt either but everyone helps you along the way.

Having the 4 or 3 subjects is very enjoyable and looks SSSOOO good on an application.

But of course its down to what you think is best for you :) :) if you want to ask me any questions just message me :) :)  

orks. Having the 4 or 3 subjects is very enjoyable and looks SSSOOO good on an application. But of course its down to what you think is best for you :) :) if you want to ask me any questions just message me :) :)  

Hiya Lovetoballetdance :) congrats on getting a place at Ballet Theatre UK, I auditioned there too! That's really interesting how you say the schools like 3-4 A levels, I initially thought they would prefer the Btec as it is more specialised, but maybe not! Do you mind me asking which A Levels you took? I'm a bit concerned about taking English because apparently it's a lot of reading & essay writing so I don't know if I'd have enough time hahah! Xx

• Like 1

English A level is a lot of work but A level drama takes even more time because of the rehersals needed. That time has to be convenient for the whole group so depending on your ballet schedule may be hard to organise. At least with English you study when you can find time, you dont rely on a group who can be infuriatingly hard to organise and possibly less dedicated than you! Just a thought :)

• Like 1

Hiya Lovetoballetdance :) congrats on getting a place at Ballet Theatre UK, I auditioned there too! That's really interesting how you say the schools like 3-4 A levels, I initially thought they would prefer the Btec as it is more specialised, but maybe not! Do you mind me asking which A Levels you took? I'm a bit concerned about taking English because apparently it's a lot of reading & essay writing so I don't know if I'd have enough time hahah! Xx

thank you :) and yeah they do prefer them, i think it is because A levels may show your dedicated and willing to put alot of time in, will the work compared to BTECs. however there isnt actually loads if work as you'd think as most alevels have coursework with them which is worth about 50% of the grade. I took Dance, drama & theatre studies, maths and communication and culture. I believe in english you have to read 2 books? im not sure but people i know really enjoy it. You have to do essays in most subjects such as dance and drama but they arent that bad, i hated essays before i started but they teach you how to do them and use your time wisely :) :) xxx