You've died and gone to He.....

Anjuli_Bai

• Replies 100
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I think if I was in ballet heaven I would have to be dancing Romeo in MacMillan's R&J. As much as I'd love to dance Albrecht, Siegfried, Onegin, des Grieux, and so many other roles, Romeo surpasses them all for me. I'd get to do the masks trio, the balcony PdD, the bedroom PdD, the crypt scene, and more. Although it would mean heartbreak every night... It's a tough choice for my heavenly Juliet - how can I choose?! Cuthbertson, Nunez, Glurdjidze, Semionova, Ferri...!

However, I would be tempted to skip doing a full-length in order to do one particular variation - the torch bearer in Gayane. It's not a very well known variation (I can't find much of it on YouTube) but my teacher taught me it during a summer course last year. I've never felt so free whilst dancing. It's the hardest variation I've danced but also the most rewarding and I'd be in heaven if I could experience that feeling over and over. I've never seen Gayane (or even heard of it before learning the variation) so don't know if it would be worth doing the whole ballet, but that variation would be worth it alone. 

• Like 4

I'm surprised no one has chosen Sleeping Beauty.......

You get to dance with four princes bringing you roses.

You get a huge ovation for the Rose Adagio

You get kissed by a handsome prince

You get to dance the PDD to gorgeous music

Everyone loves you

Costumes are beautiful

• Like 3

Think of the arabesques in Shades though... I was thinking about Sleeping Beauty because I love the music but the attitudes scared me off, although four princes are even better than one!

See- here's the thing......in Heaven the attitudes are perfect.!

It's interesting how we have trouble letting go of our fears - even in heaven.

Edited by Anjuli_Bai
  • Like 3

Then I think I might have to change mine to Sleeping Beauty, I prefer the music and I think as a final performance something happy might be nicer than the rather depressing story of Giselle. Don't know who to pick as the prince now!

• Like 1

Then I think I might have to change mine to Sleeping Beauty, I prefer the music and I think as a final performance something happy might be nicer than the rather depressing story of Giselle. Don't know who to pick as the prince now!

How about David Wall? He was lovely!

Edited to add one for dh. He says Widow Simone!

Edited by hfbrew
  • Like 2

I didn't pick Swan Lake or Sleeping Beauty as they are both so technically difficult and demanding!!

So you are right Anjuli even though "in heaven" am still expecting things to be taxing obviously!!

I do love the music of both those ballets though!!

I like the pure joy of Fille though!

Actually thinking of Farouk Ruzimatov the bit in Fille where Colas jumps out of the bales so Lise knows he has seen her heartfelt desires .......well I was just imagining Ruzimatov jumping out .......I think I would think some genie had been let out of the bottle if I suddenly saw him appear in this way!!!

No offence though I love his dancing! He just seems a bit exotic for Fille.

Edited by LinMM

Sleeping Beauty was one of my two choices; the music alone in the grand pdd brings tears to my eyes. Fiendishly difficult choreo though; all those Fish Dives! Eek!

Mind you, if being in Heaven means my technique (and my partner's) would be perfect then that would naturally lessen the worry about being dropped. :-)

• Like 1

Sleeping Beauty was one of my two choices; the music alone in the grand pdd brings tears to my eyes. Fiendishly difficult choreo though; all those Fish Dives! Eek!

Mind you, if being in Heaven means my technique (and my partner's) would be perfect then that would naturally lessen the worry about being dropped. :-)

In Heaven there are no worries. 

Well he's one of my three for Colas!!

You only get one choice of male partner in the Foyer de la Danse.  If you want three different male partners - well, that's another Foyer entirely.

(We could make a thread for that but somehow I think that might come up against the Acceptable Use Policy)   :)

Edited by Anjuli_Bai
  • Like 3

Unlike the general consensus I would like to be a bad girl of some sort, there are various witches and Wilis of course but all very unsexy, so..........after a lot of thought.........Scheherazade.  My Golden slave has to be Tsiskaridze and the Shah will have to be Taranda, wouldn't mind dancing the ugly queen in Legend of love either, again with the same two dancers.  Taranda's company dances a brilliant version of Carmina Burana how erotic it comes across depends on the cast; therefore I will dance it with their most torrid interpreter: Nariman Bekzhanov.  When I get to heaven I will be very agile indeed.

Unlike the general consensus I would like to be a bad girl of some sort, there are various witches and Wilis of course but all very unsexy, so..........after a lot of thought.........Scheherazade.  My Golden slave has to be Tsiskaridze and the Shah will have to be Taranda, wouldn't mind dancing the ugly queen in Legend of love either, again with the same two dancers.  Taranda's company dances a brilliant version of Carmina Burana how erotic it comes across depends on the cast; therefore I will dance it with their most torrid interpreter: Nariman Bekzhanov.  When I get to heaven I will be very agile indeed.

After seeing Tsiskaridze as the Golden Slave in Scheherazade - I totally agree.  And Taranda as the Shah is truly inspired thinking, MAB.

However, with the two of them around - I wouldn't want to die.  

• Like 1

Anjuli, just thinking about it has made me decide to dig out a DVD with Taranda as the Shah tonight, sadly I don't have a record of Tsiskaridze in the ballet though.