You've died and gone to He.....

Anjuli_Bai

This thread is a good example why our species has been so successful (if numbers counts as success).

We take a situation with stipulated borders and slowly but surely alter them to suit our needs/desires until the landscape does not resemble the original model.  

It's called adaptation - we are wonderful at it.

The ballet you chose can be the complete ballet such as both acts of Giselle or it can be part of Giselle.  

But - not two different ballets.  

And - since this is heaven - you would dance wonderfully, look stunningly beautiful, - to rave reviews.

Oh - wait?  There are critics in heaven?

• Like 5

• Replies 100
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

So I can only dance one :( ok definitely Giselle, at least I get to dance it perfectly. Hmm I guess dance critics have to end up somewhere, maybe they give eternally good reviews to make up for their criticism on earth!

Bless you, my child.

Oh Anjuli_Bai, what a question! And what a topic!

I can tell you my favourite female role easily enough. That is The Dying Swan from the Carnival of the Animals especially as danced by Pavlova, I have only seen it once and that was by Elena Glurdjidze in February of this year. And I shall always be grateful to Alison, BangorBalletBoy and others on this forum who made it possible for me to buy a ticket to see her.

But I don't deserve to dance that role even for a few minutes out of eternity under your conditions. Ballet does not come easily to me and even if it did - even if I had exceptional talent for ballet - I would not have chosen a different career from the one I follow now and love so much. Moreover, I am not even sure that ballet would have been my second choice. When I was a child I dreamed of opening the batting for England and Surrey and I spent all my spare time in nets practising my leg breaks and batting. And cricket is still an equal passion with ballet.

If there are ballet schools in the afterlife - and I suspect that one is more likely to find them in the infernal regions than the celestial ones - I will enrol in the most junior class and work like fury to progress. I shall look for a teacher who will correct every fault and help me develop a faultless technique. After 100,000 years of hard work I may be good enough to audition for the Celestial Ballet Junior School.   After maybe another million years of effort I may get into the corps de ballet and through the aeons progress through coryphee and soloist to principal.

Then, perhaps, I may meet Madam (whom I once saw at the V & A) or even Pavlova herself who may deign to teach me her steps. On the way I will queue for the amphitheatre of the Celestial Opera House to see my heroines, Vaslav Nijinsky, Martha Graham, Alicia Markova, Margot Fonteyn (whom I also saw), Rudolf Nureyev, Tamara Karsavina and of course all the greats from the Romantic era such as Carlotta Grisi and Fanny Elssler. And I hope to rain cut flowers on them when they take their curtain calls for the Celestial Opera House will still be next door to a fruit and veg market.

If I really could believe in such a fate death would not seem quite so threatening.  Maybe I shall also get some tips from Len Hutton and WG Grace in heaven too,

Edited by terpsichore
  • Like 5

Your post made me smile, terpsichore... very romantic - as in evocative of 19th century yearnings (though your story takes place in early 20 century).

By the way, I have noticed that you have often mentioned that ballet does not come easily to you...  Apart from the fac t(?) that one does not have to worry about it in Heaven, I  do not think ballet comes easily to anyone  (certainly not to me).   If anything, the fact you feel that way I think is a sign that you are on the right path...

...to dancing Heaven. :)

Edited by mimi66
  • Like 1

By the way, I have noticed that you have often mention that ballet does not come easily to you...  Apart from that one does not have to worry about it in Heaven, I  do not think ballet comes easily to anyone  (certainly not to me).   If anything, the fact you feel that way I think is a sign that you are on the right path...

...to dancing Heaven. :)

I now genuinely love my classes mimi66 and sometimes take as many as 5 a week - three with Northern Ballet Academy and another two with my lovely Australian teacher Fiona Noonan.

Fiona quite literally turned my life around when I joined her ballercise class within weeks of losing my late spouse to motor neurone disease.  I was a poor student but I persevered to the point that she invited me to try real ballet at The Base Studios in Huddersfield.  

I remember how scared I was at my first class.  I had done ballet 40 years earlier at St Andrews but then dropped it when I went to graduate school in the USA. All the other students were 17 and they had elastic limbs. I remember their looks of pity and scorn as I struggled to balance let alone turn.   All I could do passingly well was jump and that is because I had been taught sautes and jetes exhaustively and almost exclusively when I was an undergraduate all those years ago.

But I persevered and now I look forward to my classes in Huddersfield and Leeds as much as to performances.  I am not in the same league as Michelle_Richer whom I have met twice but I do my best and I make a tiny bit of progress each week,

• Like 6

terpsichore, that's wonderful!  I am sure, though, those 17 years olds in your class weren't giving you any pityful or scornfull looks. They must have been impressed with your sheer determination.

Back to the topic... since it is in Heaven, I am sure Anjuli will allow me to have multiple clone self of me.

I would love to do a Napolitan dance from the Swan Lake, with all dancers being myself.

• Like 3

Dear Jane, I am sure you are better than you give yourself credit for! After all, we are all recreational dancers and just dance for fun, exercise or the sheer joy of it.

• Like 4

Seeing how you're all hogging "Giselle" etc, I have decided to stun you all as the flawless lead in Balanchine's "Ballo della Regina", my partner being the top man himself - that's God, not Mr B. I've only seen it on film with Merril Ashley and at Covent Garden with Ms Núñez and Ms Cuthbertson but it's one that looked so hard even as they sailed triumphantly through it.

However we are in heaven, where generosity and selflessness reign supreme, so In a spirit of self-sacrifice I'm going to suggest we all join in a quick "Symphony in C" to Bizet's glorious music. These two are not quite up there with my favourites of the 19th century and I'm not overly reverertial to the Balanchine repertoire but they are the most joyous and uplifting ballets I've come across and must be terrific fun to dance.

PS. There will be no auto-correct in heaven, the xxxx thing will type what I tell it to type.

Edited by Grand Tier Left
  • Like 2

Would you have a theatre of choice for the repertoire of choice?

The best theatre in the world - a heavenly stage with a floor of sprung clouds.

I forgot to say - your slippers and/or  pointe shoes would be perfect.

I am surprised that no one chose the PDD from Spartacus - very moving music and lots of pathos and plenty of opportunity for emoting.

• Like 1

Do I get pretty feet in my perfect pointe shoes? Not to be vain or anything but archy feet would be nice...

You do - everything is perfect - for one ballet.

(This is kinda fun - making the rules for heaven)

I forgot to say - your slippers and/or pointe shoes would be perfect.

I am surprised that no one chose the PDD from Spartacus - very moving music and lots of pathos and plenty of opportunity for emoting.

I forgot to say - your slippers and/or pointe shoes would be perfect.

If it is just ONE ballet will stick with Fille then!

I hadn't thought of who my partner would be.

Probably not Nureyev in this role......did he ever do it in fact! (Colas I mean not Lise)

I loved Baryshnikov in this role and Acosta too. I'd love to have danced with Farouk Ruzimatov but would he be that helpful with that ribbon prop?? I also cannot see him in this role.....or not the RB version of it.

So one of the two above or David Wall .......as it would be in heaven!

• Like 1

By the way, I have noticed that you have often mentioned that ballet does not come easily to you...  Apart from the fac t(?) that one does not have to worry about it in Heaven, I  do not think ballet comes easily to anyone  (certainly not to me).   If anything, the fact you feel that way I think is a sign that you are on the right path...

Dear Jane, I am sure you are better than you give yourself credit for! After all, we are all recreational dancers and just dance for fun, exercise or the sheer joy of it.

Here is a clip of the over 55 class at the Northern Ballet Academy that Michelle_Richer and I attend.  There are a few frames of the end of year show for 2012.

I have a mountain to climb to reach that standard but it is my target and I feel that it is achievable if not this year then perhaps next.   If ever I am good enough for the end of year show of a major ballet school in my lifetime I shall be very happy. Never mind heaven.  It will be the proudest moment of my life.

Edited by terpsichore
  • Like 4

If by special dispensation this bad girl is allowed into heaven, it has to be Odile the Black Swan from Swan Lake, this time she gets Prince Siegfried.

Terpsichore you make me feel so old when you talk about me in an over 55’s class, it does nothing for my street cred on this forum, at least at tonight’s class they are all teen’s, my age group really, ha ha.

It would be gorgeous to dance to the limit without the fear of injury, cracked my knee this morning trying to do elevated splits with suspension in preparation for grand jete’s on a trampoline, no lasting damage just a reminder of an old injury.

If by special dispensation this bad girl is allowed into heaven, it has to be Odile the Black Swan from Swan Lake, this time she gets Prince Siegfried.

Terpsichore you make me feel so old when you talk about me in an over 55’s class, it does nothing for my street cred on this forum, at least at tonight’s class they are all teen’s, my age group really, ha ha.

It would be gorgeous to dance to the limit without the fear of injury, cracked my knee this morning trying to do elevated splits with suspension in preparation for grand jete’s on a trampoline, no lasting damage just a reminder of an old injury.

I am so sorry to have upset you.   I never gave the words "over 55" a second thought. There are some wonderful dancers in our group and many of our fellow students have led and continue to lead very interesting lives. I count myself lucky to be one of their number.

Age is not everything. Like you, I dance with younger people in other classes. Many of the undergraduates and graduate students at Huddersfield University would be delighted to dance as well as the more accomplished and talented members of our over 55 class. 

I doubt that it is possible to dance Odile without also dancing Odette. Surely the whole point of Act III is that the black swan looks just like the white one which is why Siegfried becomes confused and makes the wrong choice.  Sorry to sound like an intellectual property lawyer but that's how passing off works. 

I am also very sorry you have hurt yourself and hope that you will be well enough to participate in Northern Ballet's improver and choreography classes tomorrow.  

Injury is a problem in all physical activities. One can take precautions to minimize the risk and extent of the damage but it is a fact of life. Indeed, I have heard some sportsmen say that danger is one of the attractions of their sport or pastime. Although I have never heard a woman say anything quite like that, I am sure that must be true of women who enjoy sports like mountain climbing, parachute jumping and even lacrosse.

I look forward to seeing you in class tomorrow.   If not tomorrow then, perhaps soon.

Meanwhile you have my kind regards. x

Edited by terpsichore
  • Like 1

I am the oldest in my class but who cares? The teenage girls, students and twenty somethings don't seem to mind. And now, back to Heaven! Like Jan, I also fancy dancing Tatiana's dream pas de deux. At the same time, I saw dear Johan Kobburg dance Rudolf in Mayerling and he was irresistably devilish so it really is a toss up between him and Jonathan Cope, who is so tall and strong. Ooh, choices, choices!

• Like 2

If I'm dancing Odette, does that mean I get Odile too?! Hasn't thought about that one but I suppose it'd be fun.... Especially if I could fouetté :D

You can dance all of Swan Lake or part of it - it's Heaven after all.  :)

Without Odile there is no story - she is the catalyst.  

As for the claim of special dispensation for entry into Heaven - well, that would make of Heaven quite a different place wouldn't it?

But a kind heart with good intent will do it.  

As for me -  I know it's too late - I've aleady made my choice - but I did forget to include Taranda in it.  Oh dear!

• Like 3

Terpsichore

You haven’t upset me at all, the girls a Northern are some of the nicest I have met, they are truly fantastic and I really love going for coffee and a chat with them after class.

As for Odette, I’ve danced that part from various scene from Act 2 several times, have the tutu and headdress for that one too. Never done a full Pass de deux, as we always have to share our guy, so we only get him for part of it. Last time it was 8 girls between two guys.

And of course it must have the mime scene in it; otherwise it’s not the real Swan Lake to me.

Look forward to seeing you tomorrow.

• Like 3

Anjuli, as you are currently in charge of heaven, of course you can allow Taranda into your heavenly ballet; come to think of it I wouldn't mind being a shepherdess to his Shepherd in Spartacus!!!

Janet - dear friend - as much as I value your friendship........I DON'T SHARE TARANDA

• Like 6

Well in reality, if I were a dancer (instead of a dancing mum!), I would only be suitable for a big ballet production! Seeing, as I';m in heaven (and this is impossible for me, I'm an atheist!) and a very slim young ballerina, anything where I got to dance with Sergei Polunin would be just perfect!

• Like 1