Move It 2014

taxi4ballet

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Unless there are special circumstances I would expect school to say no, go at the weekend!

Well as has already been pointed out, it's no different than any other careers day or Uni open day. If it's only possible to go on Friday then that's between the student and their school.

My dd is at her associates all day Saturday, and has company rehearsals all day Sunday so she can't go at the weekend, and next year will be too late.

We are going specifically to research 6th-form training (not for a fun day out!) as she will be auditioning this coming winter. Nothing wrong with that, if you ask me. Her school is really supportive, and are more than happy to allow her to go. :)

• Like 5

Got to say there are some classes which are only offered on the Friday and, as picturesinthefirelight stated, the weekends are geared up to all, not just those with dance backgrounds or experience.  If you are a serious dancer who does not go to vocational school, Friday classes offer important training and development.  A child's education is not only about what they learn within their school classrooms, and high quality educators realise and value this.

Sorry - rant over!

Edited to add

Due to winning tickets from the wonderful Just Ballet, I will now be attending so if you want to meet up Katymac I will be there on Sunday.

Edited by Huddsballetmum
  • Like 7

Does anyone here on the forum have experience of parking at Olympia for Move It.  When my dd and I have been in the past we have always travelled by train, but this year am thinking of driving for various reasons.  I know where the car parks are etc, but just wondering whether it is essential to pre-book the car (but it will cost a lot more this way as you have to pay for the day) or to chance just getting a space when we arrive and then pay for however long we are there.  Has anyone on here driven before?  Many thanks

Ah, if some classes are only offered on the Friday then I see why serious dance students need to be there that day. Plus of course some students will have a long journey to London. Hope all your DCs have a ball as well as furthering their dance aspirations!

• Like 2

We pre-booked parking in the multi story there last year (Sunday). We arrived for opening and managed to park on the first level and left about half hour before it closed - our car was only a few on that level then too. .I'm sorry I can't help with how busy it was during the day but if you arrive first thing parking was easy.

We park up on Thursday at the "motor rail" car park next to the staton. There are usually a few spaces over the weekend but I can speak to car parking staff in the morning and see what they advise :)

Well done huddsballetmum ! Not sure which entry was yours, these user names do confuse me :D Glad somebody from balletco benefitted :)

May have one more pair of tickets left if anybody wants to PM me - valid for any day :)

Sx

We go most years and this year I can't wait to see my oldest daughter dancing on the main stage on Sunday with Wilkes. When I've been on a Sunday we have just parked on one of the side street very near to the venue as Sundays are free parking. As we are going Saturday too, we are going to park at the Kings Mall car park in Hammersmith. I alway park there when we visit London and its pretty cheap for London. it's about a 15 min walk from Move it.

To anyone there today please give Ballet Theatre UK a big cheer. They have taken time out of rehearsing Little Mermaid to come and perform at Move it.

Shame I cant get to see their performance today but at least I get ds home tonight. And his washing no doubt...

• Like 10

& DD got a beautiful leotard for Christmas (thank you Just Ballet) which she couldn't wear for auditions (as she had done most of them & the last one was a 'wear black' one) or for classes (uniform) and she was hoping to wear for Move-it

But her teacher has said she is 'representing the school' & has to wear black :rolleyes:  Poor poppet!!

• Like 1

Well dd spent her birthday money on a beautiful leotard from Just Ballet! Got to meet lovely Sheila at last, spoke to several schools, gathered prospectuses (sp?), met Robert Parker from Elmhurst who is absolutely lovely. Saw Tring, Elmhurst, BTUK and Hammond perform, had a quick chat with hfbrew's gorgeous son, spent a Blummin fortune on lunch, took painkillers, came home!

• Like 15

It looks really busy based on the photos on Instagram etc. Hope everyone has a great time and it isn't too busy so that you can't see or get around.

Fortunately when we got there this morning it was really bearable - very loud but not too busy at all. I can imagine at the weekend it is RAMMED though. We definitely picked the right day to go!

• Like 2

Mm should of warned you to take a packed lunch........food is very expensive there - glad you enjoyed your day though spanner.  Wish I was able to go this year.

Captive audience like any exhibition I suppose but yes, if we go again another year we'll definitely take packed lunch! :-)

• Like 1

Just a thought .... If anyone is going to "MoveIt" this weekend would you mind asking a question at the "School of Ballet Theatre UK" stand. Pretty please :) !

They have applied for HND accreditation which goes hand-in-hand with student financing. I would be very grateful if somebody could ask the status of their accreditation. Auditions are 2 weeks away and don't know if we can afford the course! .... I (and a number of the BTUK thread) would be very grateful. Thank you in anticipation - enjoy your time at moveit!

• Like 2

What a day! Lovely to finally meet you to meet you too Spanner and your gorgeous daughter :)

It's been a tough old week, including an A&E trip and hospital stay for DD, but all is well, DD made it to move-it tonight, so I'm relieved, content and tranquil at last..

Also managed to secure another two pairs of tickets :) If anyone can use then just let me know and I'll leave at the box office - btw grab your lunch from the Morrisons, Tescos or Sainsburys nearby - and bottles of water, it turns into a greenhouse by about 11am ;)

Sx

• Like 4

What day are the tickets for Sheila? My dd are planning on going tomorrow (Sun) but haven't bought tickets yet. Would absolutely love them if still available. By the way, dd loved tutu skirt, but we're having trouble trying to make it stay 'down'. Keeps flipping upwards if you know what I mean. Ideas? Anyway,will come & see you on Sun.

Oh, that's such good news that your dd managed to get there, Sheila! :-)

Yes, you're spot on about the greenhouse - it's warm in there! I must have looked very pink faced when we met. :-D

Hope you have a profitable day today. xx