Move It 2014

taxi4ballet

Hi all, anyone going this year?

I'd like to take dd but she is busy on all 3 days, so I thought I might go by myself and suss out some of the vocational schools etc and get as much information I can for her 6th form auditions next year (forewarned is forearmed and all that!).

Since I've not been before, I was wondering if one of the days might be less busy than the others...

Does anyone have any suggestions which might be the best day to go?

• Like 3

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I've been told in the past that Friday is the quietest day but I do not know for sure as I have only ever done the Sunday.  I certainly had plenty of chance to collect all the information i wanted from schools still.  Looking on the website will give you an indication of which schools are performing on the main stage on which days in case there are particular school performances you want to watch.  MoveIt also has a small theatre where the schools also perform.  Last time I looked there was no timetable online for these performances but it may yet appear as I am sure I had the information before I went last year.  For the theatre tickets are available from the stands of the participating schools on a first come first saved basis so one piece of advice i would give is to start your day by collecting tickets for any performances you wish to see.  You can go back and ask questions later but you will not get into the theatre performances without a ticket.  I hope you enjoy your day.  I found it a very useful experience.

• Like 1

I wish I could go but I couldn't find any info at all about accessibility, disabled concessions or anything which may give me some idea about whether I'd manage to get around. :-( I'm assuming it's BIG with lots of walking?

- I just carry everything

And a lot it will be too Katymac! Most handed out carrier or jute bags with prospectus and "freebies" in. Last year we had enough pens and pencils, key rings and water bottles to keep both dd going for years to come - the boot of the car was full!

Your dd will love it - I can only describe it as an ideal home show for dancers. The refreshments last year were quite pricey and very few tables to sit but that is to be expected :(

• Like 1

It's a brilliant day (or days!) out :)

We'll be there at stand 454, by the main stage next to Bloch...

And as last year the Bloch assembly people will turn up with their MDF, saws, paint etc and create a huge bespoke stand complete with locking changing rooms...

...the lovely Bloch chaps will then chuckle as I single handedly wheel in the contents of our shop and collapse in a sweaty heap on Thursday evening. They did regard me with incredulous bemusement last year!

...but this year our stand is bigger! Twice the size! And I have plans for a makeshift changing room too! We may not be corporate slick, but we have determination and lots and lots of stock!!

100 fab Ainsliewear leotards are landing on Monday from Canada, then of course there are the Degas Leo's, Tulips by Tracey and of course tutus! May even take some Bloch warm up boots ;)

We're running a competition to win a pair of tickets too - just post, in less than 10 words, on Facebook or twitter how ballet makes you feel...closes Sundsy night :)

Spanner if you PM me access needs I'll speak to Moveit team on Monday and get things organised for you :)

• Like 12

I have CFS/ME so on random days I can have reduced mobility or stamina. It's a right pain when I went to the Bodyworks audition with DD I missed the parents talk as I had to sleep - it was so embarrassing

I'm thinking about taking a shopping trolley at the weekend so I can manage the luggage - you used to be able to get them with a seat on top

• Like 2

We weren't going to go this year as went last year but I received an e-mail to say Russian Pointe have a stand there for the first time .... DD LOOOOOOOVES russian pointe shoes and you can't buy them in the UK ............ Shall I tell her?!!!

Edited by Lifeafterballet?
  • Like 5

We will be there for the 3 days this year, though this year I'm not going in just dropping dd and her friend off at the entrance and collecting them at the end of the day.  I get to have a lonvely 3 days in London to myself!

I can highly recommend it as it accommodates everything you could possibly want in the dance work, and some things you never thought of!  All the schools have stalls and are really helpful.

Spanner - there is a lift and the walkways are wide, though Saturday was extremley crowded.  I did see a number of people in wheelchairs last year. 

• Like 1

They have now published a programme for the schools that are performing in the 'showcase theatres'.  My DS is performing on each of the 3 days but I plan to go up on Sunday.  The last time both he and I went he was much younger (around 8yrs ago!)  with hardly anything up there relating to boys and dance so I am hoping this year maybe better.

Edited by Janet McNulty
To remove crossing out!

Out of interest, how have non-vocational DCs got out of school on Friday to go to Move It?

I emailed dd's school, and explained that it was an educational/careers visit and she needed to go in order to plan her 6th form auditions/funding etc :) They said yes, much to my surprise!

Although we would have gone without permission, to be honest  ;) and dealt with any flak afterwards.

• Like 4

Hi Katymac

I will be there on Sunday, I was hoping to do Saturday and Leeds Grand Theatre too, but I screw-up the travel times and it simply isn’t feasible, so Sunday it is for Moveit. You will most probably see me there as we met last year.

Out of interest, how have non-vocational DCs got out of school on Friday to go to Move It?

I am lucky that DD is on the schools Junior Elite Althetic Programme for her dancing so I just had to advise them that it was for her continued dancing education.  Also her head of year used to be a dance teacher at her dance school a few years ago so we get some leaway. 

However, as long as your DC is taking classes during Friday, then the school should allow authorised absence as it is classed as educational training.

• Like 1