Ballet Associates in the North West

Nutcracker-x

Ds used to do Hammond Associates. They have 4 classes on a Sunday, for 3 Sundays a term. Usually there is a ballet  class then a selection from musical theatre, jazz, contemporary, drama or singing. They are divided by age groups. The audition is a ballet class. Hope that is helpful :)

• 1 year later...

what standard do children need to be to get on an associate programme? My DS has only recently started ballet after watching his older sisters dance for a long time he decided he also wanted to do ballet.

He was put into grade one (age 8) and hasn't find an exam yet but has just finished his first show.

He is very keen at he moment and says he wants to do more lessons so he can go to vocational school like his sister.

kcoom75 - my son started ballet in an RAD Grade 1 class just before he was 8.  His teacher asked him to audition for RBS JAs pretty soon after that - he didn't get in that year (unsurprisingly, as he did look like a real beginner) but we had a lovely letter back with an added paragraph about his potential and the training at his local school (this was about 13 years ago now).  He auditioned again the following year, got in off the waiting list, and then went off to White Lodge in year 7.  So, the moral of my story, give it a go!

• Like 2

wow, JulieW that's an amazing story. I think we may have a go at some auditions, I was just a bit worried that they would be asking him to do things he'd never heard of and didn't want him to be put off by it being to difficult for him.

It is possible that he might not know some of what they ask him to do, but please just warn him that that might happen, but no-one minds if he doesn't understand - he just might need to be a bit brave and ask (difficult at that age, but worth him being prepared).  But the auditions really are kept very simple and basic, and are often more about them looking at physique and musicality.

• 9 months later...

My DS has an audition date for Hammond associates, does anyone know what they look for? I believe he will be joining in with the classes, but as he's quite new to dance I am a bit worried he will be out of his depth. ????

Just tell him to enjoy his day and do his best.  I've no idea what Hammond look for in terms of physical, technique etc for their associates programme but I would imagine they will look at his attitude - does he listen to instruction and try to put in place any correction given, how does he react if he goes wrong, what is his attitude to doing something new to him.  Hammond like their students to be willing to give something a go and try their best and I doubt that it is any different for the Associates.  Good luck to your DS

• Like 1