Advise needed about Lyrical dance in a festival

Fusster

That's interesting Sarah as the festivals we've done won't let you do more than one solo on a section. It annoys me that regional finals don't have a separate lyrical section so you have to choose between your modern and lyrical dance if you've qualified both. I know lyrical is a style of modern but critical sections can be huge, and very difficult to judge against other modern styles imho.

• Like 1

The advice that my DD's teacher gives her students is that if there is a lyrical section then they should do their lyrical in that, and something different in the modern section, but if there is no lyrical section then they can choose whether to do their lyrical or their other modern in the modern section. None of the festivals DD has ever done allow anyone to dance more than once in a section sothey do have to choose. DD generally picks her lyrical if she has to choose, as she prefers that style. That said, her current modern is quite slow and I can't really tell why it's not lyrical, but DD assures me that it's different!

• Like 2

It was only last year that the section s at a couple of our festivals were separated , up until then I'd never heard of it . I think it's something that is definitely filtering through but I suppose the reason why most say only one dance to be danced when they are not separated is that according to All England , they are not separate sections , they are the same disapline .