S. Lunkina to appear in KINGS OF DANCE programme at Coliseum.

In any event she will appear in all performances opposite either Bolle or Vasiliev in Le Jeunne Homme et la Morte.  

Ref: http://www.broadwayworld.com/bwwdance/article/KINGS-OF-THE-DANCE-to-Make-UK-Debut-at-London-Coliseum-March-19-22-20130912

That should be exciting after sadly missing the opportunity to see her during the Bolshoi's season as had been originally proclaimed.  

It was wonderful in that Kennedy Center interview with David Hallberg to hear him speak so movingly of Leonid Sarafanov as a dancer whose technique he aspired to.  I still feel that if the Royal were on the hunt for another guest male principal (or permanent one for that matter) you could not (at least in my book) currently do better in the search for a multi-box ticker.  He and and his wife have a young child ... and another now on the way.  Surely their timeframe now to (re)settle is more limited than it may have been before - but certainly doable. 

Edited by Meunier

What an excellent news about Linkina! Such a unique delicate lyrical ballerina. She could shine and delight in every production shown by the Bolshoi during the last tour but ... we didn't see her. I am really happy that she will be with the "Kings' here in March.

Do the "Kings" programmes have full scenery, Le Jeune Homme et la Morte wouldn't be the same without the final transformation scene, although it creates a long interval?

I didn't realise Ivan Vasiliev wasn't dancing all performances, suppose he will do the opening night? Prices are very high so am glad I haven't booked yet.

Do the "Kings" programmes have full scenery, Le Jeune Homme et la Morte wouldn't be the same without the final transformation scene, although it creates a long interval?

I didn't realise Ivan Vasiliev wasn't dancing all performances, suppose he will do the opening night? Prices are very high so am glad I haven't booked yet.

I have been to see the Kings at City Center in NY and they had no sets. But they didn't do Jeune Homme, so I can't say what they will do about that.

Vasiliev dances opening night according to the casting. He also dances the Patrick de Bana solo LABYRINTH OF SOLITUDE every night.  For me it was the highlight of the program I saw (which was pretty much the same as the Coli one but without Jeune Homme).

I have the whole program and casting on my website:

http://toursenlair.blogspot.ca/2013/08/kings-of-dance-to-perform-in-london.html

Edited by toursenlair

I have been to see the Kings at City Center in NY and they had no sets. But they didn't do Jeune Homme, so I can't say what they will do about that.

Vasiliev dances opening night according to the casting. He also dances the Patrick de Bana solo LABYRINTH OF SOLITUDE every night.  For me it was the highlight of the program I saw (which was pretty much the same as the Coli one but without Jeune Homme).

I have the whole program and casting on my website:

http://toursenlair.blogspot.ca/2013/08/kings-of-dance-to-perform-in-london.html

Thanks for that, toursenlair.  You may not have noticed it, but the casting for Le Jeune Homme et la Mort on your website contains the following information: 

Set cour­tesy of:   Eng­lish National Ballet

We therefore have the answer to Beryl H's question!

Edited by Bluebird

I don't know about that, Alison ... but the second row of the balcony is still £15.00.  I know I bought a ticket to each performance today ... (e.g., four) ... They were all, as marked, £15 each.  That I think compares favourably with the RB and the second row of the Amphi for most performances.  

Here is the solo for Vasiliev (which he will dance at ALL performances) ... http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SYwqNtRdo8M in addition to the final piece by Gomes (at All) and Le Jeune Homme at two performances (19th and 21st - both opposite Lunkina).  I know there are many here who really do not like him ... but Vasiliev (then 21 and only 24 now) was the dancer Petit called the 'first GREAT dancer of the 21st Century' ... and surely Petit had seen a few in his time (think Nureyev, think Gil, think La Riche, think so many others).  I only wish that Vasiliev was able to do the Proust pas at one performance.  (He has danced it before in Paris to great raves.)  I do agree Vasiliev has his limitations in terms of classical placement (never having really been exercised in it as so many others have been for years in his advance .... In that regard Vasiliev simply couldn't begin to compete/compare with the refined splendor of, say, a Sarafanov ... (few through history could methinks) ... and not forgetting he too is not blessed with as immaculate a physical classical instrument as Leonid) ... but then Vasiliev does have that  charisma; that of a young Baryishnikov .... and the potency of his generosity in wanting - indeed his willing drive to share such. ... THAT you simply can't buy.  If you could there would surely be one on the self at the Royal Ballet and every major balletic entity on earth.  How I recall the excitement of Baryishnikov before him ... but then at his best - being such a wonderful character actor as well as classical dancing artist - Baryishnikov had it ALL.  That is why for me Baryishnikov REMAINS so rare an entity ... and why he was so famously jealous of Bujones.  It was almost amusing.  (Oh, for those evenings when both of them appeared respectively as Basilio and Espada in Don Q ... Now there WAS a truly unique electricity ... I've never seen a competitive spirit that ran so appropriately rampant .... Not even the Vasipova show!!  There were two GREAT dancers with Gelsey Kirkland thrown in the middle to boot.)  I, myself, would SO love to see Vasiliev guest with the Royal in an APPROPRIATE (e.g., APPROPRIATELY SPECIAL) vehicle.  I would dearly love to see them revive MR. WORLDLY WISE for Vasiliev ... while Tharp is still at a point of creative potency.  They could I think with Vasiliev and McRae in the Mukhamedov / Teddy roles.  They would not otherwise have had such special capacity to fill those roles otherwise.  Surely Vasiliev would also excel in Mayerling.  Just remember how he revolutionized Spartacus. (Well, at least for me no other dancer has had such an overwhelming appeal in such an underwhelming ballet IMHO - and I have been privileged to see a few in my time.  It was refreshing to hear V. Vasiliev say the same in an interview.)  

Edited by Meunier