Are you any good at dance?

Picturesinthefirelight

Talking about Are you any good at fitting pointe shoes?  Most of them aren't!   I get pupils who have to go back to the shop three or four times, because the fitter has sold them pointe shoes that are too big, too wide, too high or too low in the vamp etc etc. Mind you the shoes I particularly love are the soft slippers for the little ones, who are sold shoes two sizes too big, because when you pull the drawstrings tight they fit!   What about the wads of leather flapping around the sides and the fact that the child can't point because of the vast expanse of shoe hanging off the top of her toes.  Grrrrr :angry:

• Like 3

I have to admit that regarding ribbons for exams, my dd's last school always attached ribbons rather than elastic for exams. Our current school does the same from a certain grade. They use pointe shoe ribbon rather than the narrower stiffer ribbon as it is easier to tie. So maybe in the shops view it wasn't such a riduculous idea as it may sound to some. :)

• Like 1

Yes, the narrower ribbon looks better on little ankles but it is much thicker and has less give than pointe shoe ribbons and can be tricky to tie neatly. I have a feeling dd's school specified ribbons on shoes from Grade 3 or 4 onwards.

I was delighted when the RAD made it compulsary to have ribbons on shoes only from IF onwards.  Tying the shoe ribbons of dozens of little girls every year and hoping that they would manage to undo them to change for character was a nightmare.  I am quite surprised that there are still teachers who require ribbons for the little ones, even if it looks nicer!  Glutton for punishment IMO!!! 

• Like 1