ENB Promotions

The following has just been posted on my Facebook page and on the ENB website   English National Ballet announces promotions

18 Jul 2013, 3:39 p.m.
enb_dancers_headshots_promotions.jpg

We are delighted to announce that English National Ballet has made the following promotions, with effect from the new Autumn Season:

Laurretta Summerscales promoted to First Soloist (currently 5th Year Artist)

James Forbat promoted to First Soloist (currently Soloist)

Shiori Kase promoted to Soloist (currently 5th Year Artist)

Nancy Osbaldeston promoted to First Artist (currently 6th Year Artist)

Ksenia Ovsyanick promoted to First Artist (currently 7th Year Artist)

Guilherme Menezes promoted to 8th Year Artist (currently 2nd Year Artist)

Ken Saruhashi promoted to 8th Year Artist (currently 2nd Year Artist)

For further information, interview requests and images please contact Nicola Osmond-Evans, Senior PR Manager at nicola.osmond-evans@ballet.org.uk or 020 7590 2933

• Like 1

Perhaps there's some very good reason for it which I'm unaware of, but I'm shocked and disappointed that Ksenia has not been promoted to a soloist's position. I can't imagine that she's going to stick around. With the Critics Circle award and the Benois nomination under her belt and her ability in both classical and contemporary roles I'm sure that she'll be snapped up by another company. Congratulations to all the others.

• Like 6

Well I take it that this is the 'imminent' announcement prefaced by Ms Rojo on Twitter much earlier today, the waiting for which occasioned a few not-entirely-serious suggestions from various quarters as the day progressed.  So, congratulations to all concerned.

Whilst enjoying the jokes, the very fact that people's attention was engaged to such a degree suggests to me that Ms Rojo is an able manipulator of willing media and that the London ballet weather is not all going to be made at Covent Garden in the years ahead.

Guest Autumn days

Could someone explain the hierarchy regarding the number of years preceding the word Artist? I assumed it was the number of years in that position until I saw that some have been promoted from 2nd to 8th year artists!

• Like 3

Is anyone else confused by the job titles - e.g. 8th year artist as a promotion from 2nd year artist? I don't understand that at all. And has Lauretta skipped "First Artist" and "Soloist"?

Delighted for all and especially James, Nancy and Shiori - and my goodness, Lauretta is obviously impressing both audiences and the powers-that-be if she has indeed skipped a couple of ranks. Very disappointed about Ksenia though; such a beautiful dancer.

Edited to add: muminaspin we were posting at the same time!

• Like 1

Here's the official press release:

English National Ballet Announces Dancer Promotions

We are delighted to announce that English National Ballet has made the following promotions, with effect from the new Autumn Season:

James Forbat promoted to First Soloist (currently Soloist)

Shiori Kase is to be promoted to Soloist (currently 5th Year Artist)

Nancy Osbaldeston promoted to First Artist (currently 6th Year Artist)

Ksenia Ovsyanick promoted to First Artist (currently 7th Year Artist)

Guilherme Menezes promoted to 8th Year Artist (currently 2nd Year Artist)

Ken Saruhashi promoted to 8th Year Artist (currently 2nd Year Artist)

Laurretta Summerscales promoted to First Soloist (currently 5th Year Artist)

Ends

Yes I didn't understand going from 8th Artist to 2nd Artist. I then assumed the 8 might refer to number of years in company but it still makes a nonsense so yes Janet that looks the only way to explain it that it's some sort of pay hierarchy scale. :wacko:

Feeling very much for Ksenia being so overlooked. It's not a fair world inside there! I felt the same about a couple of dancers at the RB not having received a (deserved) promotion. As an audience member I obviously see things differently to AD's ( Directors have their favourites and they are not always mine).

• Like 2

And yet Ksenia doesn't seem to have fallen out of favour. She danced in Petite Mort and in the Coronation Gala. It just seems very puzzling (to me). As well as Aurora she danced the Lilac Fairy as well as one of the fairies in the prologue in Sleeping Beauty. Last year, of course, she danced the lead role in Firebird. I am a big fan but it is not just me who thinks that she is good; she is often singled out for praise in the critics' reviews. It makes me wonder if she is already known to be leaving.

I was told a few years back that ENB had a system of promotions within the Artist level. What is new, I think, is announcing these alongside the elevations in rank. Of course, Laurretta has skipped three stages (First Artist, Junior Soloist and Soloist). I had all 7 promotees on my 'wish list' (alongside some others I have to say) but, almost inevitably I suppose, I would have 'graded' them differently, especially Ksenia who is, in my view, a simply wonderful artiste.

• Like 3

I was told a few years back that ENB had a system of promotions within the Artist level. What is new, I think, is announcing these alongside the elevations in rank. Of course, Laurretta has skipped three stages (First Artist, Junior Soloist and Soloist). I had all 7 promotees on my 'wish list' (alongside some others I have to say) but, almost inevitably I suppose, I would have 'graded' them differently, especially Ksenia who is, in my view, a simply wonderful artiste.

I wish Lauretta and all other promoted dancers the very best but it has been proven in the past that fast-tracking is not always in the best and long-term interest of young dancers. Not only is there the danger of burn-out, the huge pressure and expectations suddenly put onto them but young dancers also need time to develop their artistry. 

• Like 1

And yet Ksenia doesn't seem to have fallen out of favour. She danced in Petite Mort and in the Coronation Gala. It just seems very puzzling (to me). As well as Aurora she danced the Lilac Fairy as well as one of the fairies in the prologue in Sleeping Beauty. Last year, of course, she danced the lead role in Firebird. I am a big fan but it is not just me who thinks that she is good; she is often singled out for praise in the critics' reviews. It makes me wonder if she is already known to be leaving.

In light of the latest publicity about ballet, it would have been very entertaining if Ksenia joined Royal Ballet. 

• Like 1

Sems a bit odd to publicly annouce pay rises as opposed to promotions in rank.  Does ENB usually do this?  I wonder whether someone in publicity disclosed more data than they were supposed to.

It's not the first time dancers in the lower ranks have been ranked according to pay scale: I'm sure I remember it being put in their biogs in programmes, because otherwise how would I have known about it?

And yet Ksenia doesn't seem to have fallen out of favour. She danced in Petite Mort and in the Coronation Gala. It just seems very puzzling (to me). As well as Aurora she danced the Lilac Fairy as well as one of the fairies in the prologue in Sleeping Beauty. Last year, of course, she danced the lead role in Firebird. I am a big fan but it is not just me who thinks that she is good; she is often singled out for praise in the critics' reviews.

Ksenia has actually danced three principal roles since she joined the company.  Aurora and the Firebird are quite recent but she has also danced Giselle (in 2010).  If I remember correctly, she also danced the girl in Le Spectre de la Rose (during her first season with ENB in 2008/9).  I was astonished when I saw that she had fallen behind colleagues who have not danced so many prominent roles.  While I am absolutely delighted with Shiori Kase's well deserved promotion to soloist, I  feel strongly that Ksenia has earned the right  to be at a similar level.

Edited to correct punctuation.

Edited by Bluebird
  • Like 7

i agree with you completely bluebird  :mellow: Tamaras taste in dancers seems to be quite different than the general ballet fans... not casting elana in swan lake, anais only dancing small solos in SB. i agree that a young dancer needs to be nurtured and giving too much too soon is a dangerous game.... but ksenia has seemed to have had a steady amount of great roles for a number of years now. including two prestigious awards. shiori is lovely but has anyone seen her in a full length besides etudes? a story ballet? i wonder how many roles these young talents will get now that alina is coming in? 

Edited by balletfan101

shiori is lovely but has anyone seen her in a full length besides etudes? a story ballet?

She has danced Clara in Wayne Eagling's Nutcracker (two seasons running).  She has also danced the lead role in Rhapsody in Blue - maybe not a full length but a taxing role, nonetheless.

Generally speaking, it must be so hard for all those hard working professional dancers when one is not personally favoured by the AD (I am not suggesting anything here).

No matter how hard they work and how good they are the ultimate decision about their career progress (or lack of) is solely in hands of the AD (whose taste in dancers is often very different to the audience's taste).

I can only sympathise with them. 

i agree with you completely bluebird  :mellow: Tamaras taste in dancers seems to be quite different than the general ballet fans... not casting elana in swan lake.....

Shiori is lovely but has anyone seen her in a full length besides etudes? a story ballet?

i wonder how many roles these young talents will get now that alina is coming in? 

This reference to Elena is interesting in the context of the discussion about the star or the company on another thread. Elena has never, to my knowledge, been given an opening night and so has not had the kind of critical coverage which helps to cement a dancer in the public consciousness, but she has a host of admirers who want to book for her (including some who did not go to Swan Lake at all because she was not cast). It strikes me that there are similarities in the dancing of Elena and Ksenia (beautiful epaulement; fluidity; believable interpretation; lyricism; gentleness) which many of us appreciate so much. I just hope that they know that.

I saw Shiori dance Clara in Nutcracker - a far bigger role than that of just the Sugar Plum Fairy in the RB version. Suffice it to say that she was more impressive in Etudes.

Fortunately, Le Corsaire has two good female leads as well as three solos (Odalisques); so ENB's up and coming talent should be able to shine.

I make no excuses for the fact that I worship Elena Glurjidze, she is very, very special with the two qualities I rate most highly in a dancer: beautiful line and natural musicality - the same qualities that set my beloved Margot apart from the crowd.  I don't understand why she doesn't get opening nights either as for me she is the jewel in the ENB crown.

Of the younger girls it is Ksenia Ovsyanick and Shiori Kase that I can see climbing the heights, glad they are both promoted, but yes I expected a meteoric rise for Ms Ovsyanick.

• Like 1

Sems a bit odd to publicly annouce pay rises as opposed to promotions in rank.  Does ENB usually do this?  I wonder whether someone in publicity disclosed more data than they were supposed to.

As these dancers promoted within the ranks of 'Artist' will remain listed under 'Artist' in the programme etc., I think this was Tamara's only way of letting the public know that these dancers had been promoted over and above their years in the company and are on their way to joining the higher ranks.  I don't think it was intended to be a public announcement of pay rises! Having worked with all the dancers who have been promoted and admiring all of them as dancers, I am delighted by their promotions but, like everybody else writing here, I am surprised that Ksenia was not promoted to a higher rank after all her achievements.

By the way, I know that Elena danced the first night of the season in 2009 ("Giselle" in Manchester) and there may have been others but it does seem odd that a ballerina of her standing (and popularity) has been used so little this season. 

• Like 2