Istd exam, awards

balletmum20

My 8 year old daughter done her istd grade 1 exam today alone as no one else was ready for the exam, after her exam, her teacher was called into the studio, and the examiner told her teacher that my daughter was a very very special little girl, and that she has never ever seen a 8 year old dance as well as her, and that ballet dancers like her do not come along every day, and recommend that we what her in for the istd awards, does anyone know what these are, where they are and when the closing date is, our school has never done these before, so any help would be good! I am a very shocked and proud mummy right now, and my daughter does not even think she is very good!

• Like 8

ISTD Ballet Awards, Children compete in the Grade which they have just passed so your DD would compete in Grade 1. Prior to the competition the teachers are informed which exercises the children will be required to dance and which class dance. The children dance on stage in a class format with a very friendly teacher guiding them through the class, if there are a lot of entrants then there can be 2 or even 3 groups with around 20 in each group. After all the groups have finished there is a short break before all the children are brought back onto the stage when up 10 per group are invited to re-dance in the finals after which prizes are award. It is a very enjoyable day and unlike festivals all the children are doing the same. Grades 1 and 2 usually take place in October in Radlett, Hertfordshire. It's a very good experience my dd used to attend and loved it.

• Like 2

We did istd awards about 18 months ago , I beleive it takes place in October. A lovely experience for my dd ( who has.never fancied festivals) as it is not high pressured , no costumes, choreography or make up to worry about. Done in their usual istd uniform and all doing the same. On stage in large groups. Dd wanted to do it again last year and actually didn't take grade three exam so that she would still be the right.grade for age group and could enter. In the end qe had to be elsewhere, oh well! 

• Like 1

Aw no wonder you are such a proud mummy balletm20, that was a huge compliment from an experienced teacher outside your dance school. Well done to her and good luck with her exam results which I have no doubt will have done very well in.

• Like 3

Hi balletmum20,

That's excellent news! The best way to find information about our competitions and awards is via our website. Please contact Julia Beattie (Secretary to the Imperial Classical Ballet Faculty) at beattie.ballet@gmail.com to let her know that you're interested in entering your daughter for the Imperial Ballet Junior Awards in October. She will be able to provide you with the deadline and any other information you may need.

Hope that helps!

Edited by ISTD
  • Like 2

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

We've done the Junior ones and Senior ones. There are maybe up to about 70 or so students per grade but they split them down into smaller sections of about 25 at a time so the stage isn't overcrowded. They are taught enchainments and get a chance to practice them with the teacher to make sure they all understand and then they dance them one row of children at a time. At the end they perform the exam grade set dance three or so children at a time. After this they will recall some for the finals which is basically doing the same all over again so the judges can get a closer look. It's a lovely day and my DD has made lots of friends along the way and it's the highlight of her year.

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Does anyone who has done the Senior Classes which is usually held around March time remember what time of day the older girls dance? 

I have loyalty points to use up or I will loose them and thought of booking a hotel for the Awards next year but dont know whether to book for the night before or afterwards!  My DD hasnt done it since doing the grade 4 comp.

It seems to vary from year to year. My dd did Grade 6/InterFound this year (and will do it again next year) she was in the first class at 9am (I think!) but there were a couple of classes per grade. We stayed in the Premier Inn the night before. Days seem to vary as well as she did grade 4 on a Saturday twice but that grade was Sunday this year.

• Like 1

BankruptMum - They change it around each year so doubt they would know yet.  I think we were on the Saturday last year (Grade 4) whereas previously we had been on the Sunday for the same grade.  I stupidly went ahead and booked a hotel thinking it would be the same day too!

• Like 1

Well the istd awards are done and dusted, so thought I would update you all

My dd was in group c with about 25 in each section, an amazing day, and a really enjoyable experience, and really do recommend doing this, my dd was called back to dance in the final along with 25 other children, but was not placed, but what an achievement even getting to the final.

As I say a really lovely day and really would do this again, everyone was lovely and my dd enjoyed every single moment x

• Like 11