Ballet school packing list

14 minutes ago, BarahobaMechty said:

Basically asking for advice for all ballet dancers who are going to full time vocational schools because there's not lots of info online

The advice will vary depending on their age and accommodation for the dancer. ie full board or independent living.
More info would be helpful.   On a side note, name everything that leaves their room! 

• Like 1

Hello!

Hopefully the school will give you a list....

Other than the obvious (clothes, uniform, ballet shoes, smellies, bedding)

Might be good to take:

Bits to decorate room - pinboard pins, photos, fairy lights, teddies! 

Laundry marker or pen/name stamp

Mattress protector and mattress topper

Alarm clock (might not be allowed phones in room)

Laundry bags 

Stamps and stationary paper (although my dd has never once written to me!)

A few birthday cards

One or Two books and games.

You can get draw dividers from amazon which are handy for socks/tights/leos etc. And big bags to transport everything to the car in less trips! 

That's all I can think of off the top of my head! Will probably vary from school to school X 😊 

• Like 3

@BarahobaMechty thank you for starting this feed. I’m also interested in what to pack. Of course there will be the  standard list however I’m interested in the extras. My daughter has started her Amazon wish list and currently has:

- adjustable lamp 

- desk mirror 

- fairy lights

- water bottle 

- bed table 

- blanket 

- skin care 

- storage organisers 

- foldable shoe storage 3 tier 

- wrap around robe 

- no ticking battery clock 

Id be interested in the other random things students have taken with them for boarding! 

I remember loving getting parcels and letters from home however I think that’s a thing of the past with Amazon prime to contend with! 

• Like 2

As others have said the school will send a detailed list but the posts above have given some good additional ideas. I would add that if your DC won't be coming home at weekends, an Amazon Prime account is extremely useful and lets you send them random things they need very easily and quickly. 

Some less obvious things which I maybe wouldn't have thought about before my DC started boarding:

- sealable box for tuck 

- a supply of name stickers and a name stamp so they can easily name things themselves 

- if a girl, far more bobbles and hair pins than you think

- if they wear a hair ribbon, buy a roll of ribbon in the same colour/width so they can easily make new ones as and when they lose them 

• Like 2

My advice would be don’t go too mad! You can always send things if they need them, and they’ll be home regularly. 
A sharpie is the best way to label things. 
You usually don’t need any extra furniture, the rooms will likely be small and the kids that bring masses of extras just take up all the room! 

• Like 1

I would 2nd the free standing/ portable mirror.

The mirror is in great demand in the morning and there's never enough light where it's positioned.

A cute cushion/ fluffy blanket/ fairy lights so they can make a little home from home.

loads and loads of snacks, especially if they are younger and are not allowed to shops.

Hangers or underbed storage. There's never enough hangers and it's good to hang stuff if not much storage space. Underbed plastic box if no hanging space!

Start with very little and bring more as needed. Every room is different and they will probably move rooms plenty times.

• Like 3

My daughter always says the number one most important thing to bring with her is scissors. I'm not sure why, but there you go! I also like the hanging storage boxes so they can just shove their leos/tights in there without too much trouble. Also, at least one nice outfit in case they go to show/nice dinner. 

• Like 1

7 hours ago, swanprincess said:

@BarahobaMechty welcome to the forum! I love your username!!!!! 

Thank you! I'm currently learning Russian because being from a family with high expectations I already study at a Vaganova method school and(assuming the war ends by the time I am old enough to apply) They want me to try to get in so I wrote Vaganova Dreams in Russian with English characters. Sorry for the long explanation, it kinda happens randomly when us dancers get to explain all of our dance stuff lol.

7 hours ago, Dancing unicorn said:

Mesh wash bags for socks, undies etc with her name label on!

in fact labelling EVERYTHING is the one thing I don’t miss! 😂

I'll make sure to label everything I can put a label on, the dollar tree and their not actually one dollar iron on labels better watch out!

9 hours ago, AllAboutTheJourney said:

As others have said the school will send a detailed list but the posts above have given some good additional ideas. I would add that if your DC won't be coming home at weekends, an Amazon Prime account is extremely useful and lets you send them random things they need very easily and quickly. 

Some less obvious things which I maybe wouldn't have thought about before my DC started boarding:

- sealable box for tuck 

- a supply of name stickers and a name stamp so they can easily name things themselves 

- if a girl, far more bobbles and hair pins than you think

- if they wear a hair ribbon, buy a roll of ribbon in the same colour/width so they can easily make new ones as and when they lose them 

I'll keep that in mind, as many bobby pins as I can reasonably afford, if dancers had a penny for every bobby pin we lost we would be able to pay for our whole tuition in pennies.

11 hours ago, balletbean said:

The advice will vary depending on their age and accommodation for the dancer. ie full board or independent living.
More info would be helpful.   On a side note, name everything that leaves their room! 

Full board, and a girl. Even if it doesn't leave I'll probably label it because I'm assuming roommates will do that thing where your sibling insists that you stuff is their's so having names on stuff will help out a lot.

• Like 1

Aerosols can set off fire alarms. On a residential course (where I had pupils) dancers had been warned about this, but of course some of the boys had to see if it were true. It was, alarms duly went off and everyone had to evacuate, late evening.