James Hay and Ryo Hirano in Surgery Today

James and Ryo have both posted on social media that they are having surgery today.  James is having his knee cartilage 'cleaned up' and Ryo looks like he is having ankle surgery (just a guess as he hasn't specified).  James has confirmed that his season his over.  I wish them both well and hope that their surgeries are successful.  James is hoping to be back for a full 24/25 season.  I do hope so; he has been much missed this year (although he has managed a few appearances).  

• Like 7
  • Thanks 12

It’s actually amazing how the body produces extra bits of bone sometimes where it is stressed supposedly to increase strength for more support so is trying to help us out but unfortunately dancers don’t want this extra bone getting in the way of ligaments etc. 

Hope both James Hay and Hirano are fit again very soon. 

Edited by LinMM
  • Like 3

Having had my own knee cartilage "cleaned up" a couple of decades ago, I trust the medical staff in this case will know better than to claim you can be back at work in a couple of weeks (if it is merely an arthroscopy)!  It sounds like it, anyway.  Best wishes to both James and Rio for a full recovery, and I look forward to seeing them back next season.

• Like 1

Lots of comments wishing James a speedy recovery on his IG feed from early this morning - shows how highly appreciated he is

• Like 4

Yes, will especially miss James in the Ashton.  He is a wonderful Ashton dancer and my favourite ever version of Rhapsody was him and Francesca which should definitely have been filmed. 

Wishing both James and Ryio a good recovery over the summer and hope to see them in action on the ROH stage next season. 

• Like 12

• 2 weeks later...

Yes, James Hay is a wonderful Ashton dancer and that is because he has Cecchetti training IMO. I hope they will both be back on stage at the beginning of next season.

• Like 8