Paris Opéra Ballet - Giselle May 2024

I was fantasizing about taking the train to Paris today to see Myriam Ould-Braham's retirement performance at the Opéra in Giselle (far too expensive!) when I noticed that Marianela Nunez will be performing Giselle for two performances in Paris with Hugo Marchand on 25th and 27th May! The RB principals are frequently crossing the Tunnel this spring, it seems. 

Apologises if there is already a thread on this, I looked but did not see one! 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

18 hours ago, lady emily said:

I was fantasizing about taking the train to Paris today to see Myriam Ould-Braham's retirement performance at the Opéra in Giselle (far too expensive!) when I noticed that Marianela Nunez will be performing Giselle for two performances in Paris with Hugo Marchand on 25th and 27th May! The RB principals are frequently crossing the Tunnel this spring, it seems. 

Apologises if there is already a thread on this, I looked but did not see one! 

Yes, Myriam Ould-Braham will retire as Giselle in May.  I'm glad to see her as Giselle one last time.  Marianela's guest appearance was already announced last year, and there was long speculation about her partner.  Hugo Marchand has already confirmed his partnership on social networks. I am already looking forward to this performance, I think it will be something extraordinary.

• Like 3

19 minutes ago, Silver Capricorn said:

Yes, Myriam Ould-Braham will retire as Giselle in May.  I'm glad to see her as Giselle one last time.  Marianela's guest appearance was already announced last year, and there was long speculation about her partner.  Hugo Marchand has already confirmed his partnership on social networks. I am already looking forward to this performance, I think it will be something extraordinary.

I only saw her for one spectacular performance of Manon last June with Mathieu Ganio. Got COVID at the Opéra but it was worth it! 

• Like 5

I am attending Mlle Ould-Braham’s final performance and purchased my tickets for three Giselles as soon as they became available. I am surprised that there are still available sheets at the Palais Garnier.  I remember noticing her when she was in the corps de ballet and so this is full circle for me to be able to see her final

show.  

• Like 5

I'm going too,  having loved her performances in Fille,  when Alexander Grant selected and rehearsed her in Fille in 2007.

But unfortunately her performance in the celebration of Yvette Chauvire was very disappointing, the Paris Opera Ballet failed to organise, or rehearse, a gala that suitably honoured that great ballerina.

• Like 2

I remember seeing Myriam Ould-Braham in the Peasant Pas de Deux as a youngster.....soon she will be dancing her retirement performance in May! Where does all that time go??  I do like this production a lot- let us know what you think after the show, @lady emily(if you do go), @Silver Capricorn, @Josette, @SheilaC and everyone who is going!

Edited by Emeralds
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, Emeralds said:

I remember seeing Myriam Ould-Braham in the Peasant Pas de Deux as a youngster.....soon she will be dancing her retirement performance in May! Where does all that time go??  I do like this production a lot- let us know what you think after the show, @lady emily(if you do go), @Silver Capricorn, @Josette, @SheilaC and everyone who is going!

I saw this production of Giselle at ONP 2 years ago and for me it is the most beautiful Giselle I have seen.

• Like 3

19 minutes ago, Silver Capricorn said:

I saw this production of Giselle at ONP 2 years ago and for me it is the most beautiful Giselle I have seen.

Beautiful designs by Benois (what a treasure) and a lovely production by Patrice Bart and Eugene Polyakov.....I hope they keep it forever. Glorious and beautiful- and they even take it on tour abroad. A gem!

Edited by Emeralds
  • Like 2

I saw the Paris Opera Ballet in Giselle in June of 2012 when the company danced in Chicago. It was an unforgettable week and I saw three performances of Giselle and was bowled over by it. We did Peter Wright’s production in Toronto, which is excellent, but the Paris Opera Ballet’s production was a revelation.  

• Like 3

I know some etoiles like Elisabeth Platel, Aurelie Dupont, Nicolas Le Riche etc  continued dancing elsewhere after their official Paris Opera retirement, but I don't know if Myriam Ould-Braham has announced any plans either way. 

Edited by Emeralds

2 hours ago, Missfrankiecat said:

What is their rule?

POB has a mandatory retirement age of 42 (which is what Myriam has reached). I presume the rule is due to French labour laws and the grant of a pension at 42 but I mean imagine the Royal Ballet forcibly retiring Marianela next year! Sarah Lamb would have been retired last year! 

Possibly the pension conditions may limit whether they could join another company/how much they perform. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

6 hours ago, Emeralds said:

I know some etoiles like Elisabeth Platel, Aurelie Dupont, Nicolas Le Riche etc  continued dancing elsewhere after their official Paris Opera retirement, but I don't know if Myriam Ould-Braham has announced any plans either way. 

Myriam Ould Braham said in a Japanese interview that she will not dance after her retirement, only a few summer galas that had already been scheduled 

https://madamefigaro.jp/series/ballet/240203-myriam-ould-braham.html

• Like 1
  • Thanks 3

10 hours ago, TSR101 said:

POB has a mandatory retirement age of 42 (which is what Myriam has reached). I presume the rule is due to French labour laws and the grant of a pension at 42 but I mean imagine the Royal Ballet forcibly retiring Marianela next year! Sarah Lamb would have been retired last year! 

Possibly the pension conditions may limit whether they could join another company/how much they perform. 

How ridiculous.  I assume it applies to the men too?   I was astonished the French put up with that.

Having done some googling, though, I see they are fully in favour and angry that Macron may change the pension rules - apparently, according to one ballerina  "Once you reach the age of 42, you're already suffering from arthritis, stress fractures, hernias and in some cases titanium hips." 

Edited by Missfrankiecat
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, Missfrankiecat said:

How ridiculous.  I assume it applies to the men too?   I was astonished the French put up with that.

Having done some googling, though, I see they are fully in favour and angry that Macron may change the pension rules - apparently, according to one ballerina  "Once you reach the age of 42, you're already suffering from arthritis, stress fractures, hernias and in some cases titanium hips." 

Yes it does.

I should perhaps point out that unless the rules have changed dancers, along with footballers, in the UK are allowed to draw a pension from the age of 35.  (How many dancers can afford to is another matter).  But there's a large gulf between being able to retire at that age and being forcibly retired 7 years later.  We've commented many times on here on dancers giving excellent performances way beyond 42 - I think Bonelli was over 42 when he took over as AD of Northern Ballet? - and people like Miyako Yoshida, Leanne Benjamin and of course Alessandra Ferri are just a few examples.

• Like 1

I think if there is going to be a statutory retirement age for dancers it will have to be continually revised as knowledge of how to safeguard technique for longer and recover from injury more successfully progresses. 
So 42 might become 45 and so on. 
However in the end most dancers will probably end up wanting to retire somewhere in that 45-55 age range as the general stresses on dancers bodies are pretty high and recovery from injury definitely takes longer as you age but each dancer is an individual so as long as performances are not losing too much quality should be able to decide for themselves when they no longer want to continue. 

• Like 1

There ought to be a balance between dancers being compelled to retire too early and missing out on the chance to enjoy some fulfilling role debuts (the company might acquire a new work) or acclaimed performances vs having that option of retiring earlier if their bodies need it. 

Mukhamedov - early 60s -appeared as Virgil in the POB Dante - I wonder how that was managed?  Maybe as ballet master he isn't covered by the retirement age of the company dancers.

With Émilie Cozette retirement at the beginning of the season and now Myriam Ould-Braham, I wonder if they will promote someone during the run of Giselle

On 25/03/2024 at 02:51, Chiari said:

With Émilie Cozette retirement at the beginning of the season and now Myriam Ould-Braham, I wonder if they will promote someone during the run of Giselle

Bleuenn Battistoni, who will dance the opening night as her full rôle début, has beaten speculation to it 😉

She danced most of act II in 2022 when Alice Renavand, in her retirement performance, was injured and unable to continue. Battistoni had learned the rôle as a cover, and was dancing in the corps de ballet that night, so was the most available in terms of warmed up, costume, makeup etc. As it was a retirement there were of course other étoiles in attendance but not ready to go on.

• Like 3