Challenging Classes

Holly Elise

Hi everyone, brand new member here from the UK looking for support. 

I have been a dancer for 20 years and just started my dance teacher qualification. A class I have is extremely challenging. One half have a great attitude but need developing in technique, and the other half have a slight attitude problem. The principal has spoken with them and their families and we have been told it is self confidence but when they simply refuse to put effort in even though they are more than capable. I have a video of a dance I created, and they barely lift their arms and just smirk through it. This makes the other half conscious of putting effort in too. I'm really stuck! 

Any suggestions please? I have tried reinforcing positive feedback but nothing is improving. 

• Sim changed the title to Challenging Classes

I had a group just like this. I really struggled in the end had to stop teaching them. Felt like a failure but my heart sank every time I got to that class! Maybe ask the head to come and observe? See if there’s an improvement? 

• Like 1

If in honest, the school in general has slid in discipline from when I was dancing there with a change of teachers etc so they haven't been trained that way. They are 13. In the back of the video of me doing the dance whilst they're joining in, they barely move. 

The head has told me it's self confidence but they half seem to smirk when I try to ask them to use their arms etc. Because of this, they make the other students self conscious as well. 

I can't help but feel that if they don't want to come to class, to not come but we need to keep our numbers up. 

I'm in a very challenging position. 

Arrange a parent viewing class? It might make them buck up their ideas or indeed make parents see that their offspring are wasting the opportunity they have & wasting the parents money. The parents might just jolt them to behave better (esp if they themselves have previously trained there or elsewhere with a respect for discipline) 

It is so sad how basic good manners have just become ‘uncool’ & how sadly the bad mannered seem to often be the stronger influence…. It’s so unfair on those or perhaps wish to put in effort to improve & enjoy their lessons….

Slight radical second idea…you could also play act like them…. Turn up scruffy, in a hoodie, mismatched shoes, chewing gum, just say you can stand at barre & do stuff or not bother…. You get the idea…. It may well shock them into seeing how unattractive their behaviour is as they see how unfair it would be if you just acted like you didn’t care….

Good luck!

• Like 1

That's really inciteful, thank you. 

What's so frustrating is, the main 2 really do have it in them to be such beautiful dancers. They naturally have a lot of strengths that some have to work harder for and no matter how I say that, they don't seem to either believe me or care. 

I'll put forward your ideas, thank you again- I really appreciate it. 

• Like 2

I can empathise and feel for you in this position. 13 is such a tricky age group. Sounds like you’re thinking about the situation very carefully and doing the best you can at the moment.

When young people are trying to please their peers( fitting in ) they will exhibit very unhelpful behaviours such as trying so so hard ‘NOT’ to try too hard in case they are labelled a geek etc etc. Fitting in is their topmost priority in life. On top of this they are super conscious of ‘self’ and making a fool of themselves. Inside, most of them will secretly want to learn and be good but they’re stuck inside themselves. Just like you, they are actually having a difficult time but it doesn’t come across like that. Unlike you, they have plenty support from their friends in the class, which makes your position very frustrating and lonely.

I would ask if it’s possible to split the class into two separate classes and split the very uncooperative ones up between the more keen ones. This is probably not possible as it will need more studio time and changing schedules. I would certainly communicate your issues very clearly with the principal so you can get the support you need.

Have you thought of organising something that might allow you to get to know these girl’s personalities better? Loosely connected to dance but not necessarily. A theatre trip? Something after class ? At present, you are seen as the threat/ enemy to some so there’s a chance of breaking that cycle, and, as your the adult you need to open the door if you’re able, to connect with them on another level.

Thirdly, if you can find someone or something they can easily connect to who is inspiring in being a better self each week for themselves!!! and not for the teacher or their parents or their friends. They might get the message…probably not!  Which leads me to say that nothing is forever. They will grow and mature and change if you can ever believe it and try to work with them as best you can. 

Edited by Ruby Foo
  • Like 3

I had a little bit of this the other week, slightly younger tho! So I went the end of the barre where they were working and ignored the other end! After a short time I shouted to the other end - EXCUSE ME, we’re trying to work here! They soon changed completely! 
I have done that with older girls, and it soon works with them too! 
Teens can be horrendous to work with, it only takes one to upset things! 
Good luck 🩷

ps how much older are you to them! Some of my mid teens didn’t like it when my voc trained dd came in and taught/did warm up with them! 

Edited by Dancing unicorn
  • Like 2

It's also one of those breakpoint ages when kids just dump pursuits. I can't remember where it is in the changing of schools in UK terms. So some of them may not want to be there, but may just be marking time until they're allowed stop.

All of these are so helpful! Thank you. 

The principal was having a rough time with them which I think why they came to me. To help create a better relationship as I'm younger. If I'm honest, they act like people did around me when I was at school and a small part of me finds it intimidating. We do an exercise in our programme of study for Rob isolations and they literally stand still and it's so silly! They make it seem worse than it is but for me to highlight it seems to have a worse effect. 

Apparently the principal had a 1-1 to them and asked about their attitude. One burst into tears apparently saying she didn't realise she was doing it but there have been no behavioural changes. I split the two up in class to try help. 

At what point is it just bad behaviour, a bad attitude and to suggest that dance isn't for them. Its making everything harder but we aren't big enough to see students go so we try to retain custom as much as possible. 

Thank you all for your support. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Dancing unicorn said:

I had a little bit of this the other week, slightly younger tho! So I went the end of the barre where they were working and ignored the other end! After a short time I shouted to the other end - EXCUSE ME, we’re trying to work here! They soon changed completely! 
I have done that with older girls, and it soon works with them too! 
Teens can be horrendous to work with, it only takes one to upset things! 
Good luck 🩷

ps how much older are you to them! Some of my mid teens didn’t like it when my voc trained dd came in and taught/did warm up with them! 

Sounds like a great tactic Dancing unicorn.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

It could be that some of these girls are genuinely losing interest. 
Some who attend ballet classes are highly self motivated and want to learn inspite of any peer behaviour going on so won’t be influenced by it. 

But some might be there still because a close friend is and some because a parent wants them to be there!

I agree it’s around about 14 ish that you can start to say to your parents I’m not doing this any more!! Though most parents don’t want to keep on paying for something their children are no longer interested in. 
Perhaps Ballet is no longer their thing though might want to be doing something connected to Dance. 

For some it could just be the first signs of self consciousness about the body and new “girl issues” 

These might just need encouraging through a year …arranging a theatre trip or similar is a nice way to get to know the girls a bit more personally which might help to get them on your side. 

The dilemma I feel is the “keeping up the numbers” problem. 
In that event it seems to be harder for the Head to actually say what she expects in terms of general behaviour in classes and that there is a minimum standard required! 

This situation is something that is happening to teachers in general education fairly routinely however It does seem odd to me that you get this attitude in an activity which is supposed to be an activity of choice .. it’s not like it’s part of a curriculum you have to be part of like it or not! 
My mum would have been furious if the Head had called a meeting about my behaviour in class …I’d have definitely got an ultimatum! 

I hope it improves for you and presumably you are a new teacher at the school? So they might be “ just getting used to you” (poor things lol)

Also I see you are just starting your teacher training so is this a temporary placement or somewhere you were thinking of becoming part of for longer. If it’s temporary at least you know it’s coming to an end.
When you finally get your qualification then you might begin to get an idea of the sort of Dance establishment you might really want to work for. 

Long story (very long) but I danced here for 20 years. My initial teacher was amazing and I think if she hadn't sold the school, I could of been potentially encouraged to follow this career path from an early age. The school was sold to someone else and the discipline and standards have dropped a fair bit. It is definitely more of a kids club vibe in some situations. 

The class I am bringing up do ballet, tap, modern and contemporary. I was using ballet as an example that they are talented - but don't engage. 

I am wanting to be here long term, the goal is that once I'm qualified, I will become the head and the head will take a step away. So it's in my best interest. Plus- what a waste of talent! 

• Like 2

Well in that case if you were to take over as the Head you should be able to set up the school as you want eventually! 
It does mean though that there’s not really a lot you can change currently 
Presumably this is just the one class though ….so you are enjoying the other classes you teach so can look forward to those at least!! 

In the challenging class it’s best to concentrate on those who really want to learn even if not as “talented” and gain some satisfaction from improving their technique at least. 

I don’t know if eventually you can introduce a sort of contract that parents have to sign up to if their child attends to give you some authority to increase behaviour standards for the future. 

• Like 1

Hi, I hope I didn't come across bad by saying they had less talent- they have more talent at being able to apply themselves and work harder. The other girls can just naturally get their legs higher for kicks and a better flexibility. Nothing that can't be achieved by all. 

I'm thinking of possibly bringing in a feedback form so I can find out from the parents what they think, but also send one home with them about their performance in class too? But would that completely take the joy out of it for them? 

If they dropped their barriers and let me in there would be no stop in them!  - any of them! 

• Like 2

I think you need replies from teachers currently teaching or in a similar position to yourself recently started a Teacher Training course. 
Have you been able yet to bring up these issues when attending your Course? 

• Like 1

It’s a hard age to teach.

Agree with others: some of the behavior issue may be waining interest.  Some may be a ‘cool’ factor.  Some may also be that it is easier to hide behind an ‘attitude’ vs try and fail.

I do think kids in this age group tend to behave the best for teachers they like.  Maybe this does mean doing something to bond, like organizing an outing to see a dance production.  I would give it a try once, and see how it goes.  (If those same kids misbehave at the event, I wouldn’t try again.)

Another way you could try to bond with the students is to infuse personality in the class (yours or theirs):  Ask all students what they like about dance.  Find a funny or interesting historical story to tell about ballet…esp if relevant to the lesson or exercise.  Let them spend some time at the end of class on improv or working on some choreography.  Closer to recital time, maybe consider a class where the focus is learning to apply stage makeup.  

I also like the idea of a parent watch day.  

Whatever you do, I think you need a plan, and you need to execute that plan with structure and enthusiasm.  That age is really good at sensing and capitalizing on adult hesitancy and self doubt.  

You describe this as being more of a recreational studio.  I do think a lot of kids in the 14 year age-range start to ask ‘what does recreational dance really mean for me.’  They realize they are not in a trajectory to be a professional.  They probably give up other school activities to dance, but to what end?  Do they have good friendships in dance?  Is there a big show at the end of term that they are looking forward to?  

Perhaps I am saying that most recreational activities have some overarching pinnacle goal:  a game, a theater production, printing a newspaper, an art exhibition.  However, there are a lot of recreational ballet studios feel the classes, in and of themselves, are the end product.  And when there is an end-of-year recital, it tends to feel very orchestrated toward the baby ballerinas and their parents (which is usually where the studio is making the most money.)

So figuring out a way to capture the hearts of 14 year old recreational dancers may be helping the figure out ‘what’s in it for them.’  Tough question, I know.  I think that is why dance competitions have taken off, and why some studios have companies for teens (with segregated recitals and more serious pieces.)  As you plan to take a larger leadership role in the studio, it is definitely worth a think.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

I remember my daughters’ singing teacher telling a group of giggling teenagers “Dump the attitude at the stage door or get out of my class!” She meant it too. 

• Like 3

What about encouraging them to choreograph themselves, maybe let them choose the music.  
Dd had a choreographer come in to teach at voc school,  each student had to demonstrate a movement they enjoyed.  Dd loved having her steps included in the piece, it made her feel very connected so maybe involving them in the process might help, or perhaps you could look for a performance opportunity, maybe the group would rise to the occasion.

Good luck 

Edited by shygirlsmum
  • Like 5