Katie Mitchell's Lucia di Lammermoor - Any Good??

Sim

I love this opera, and a friend has offered me a ticket for a performance in April.  However, does anyone have any views on this production?  My cynical side was piqued when I read 'Katie Mitchell brings a bold, feminist vision' to the piece.  

I would really appreciate any comments on the production and the cast, none of whom I know.  Thank you!

https://www.roh.org.uk/tickets-and-events/lucia-di-lammermoor-by-katie-mitchell-dates

The one where Lucia has sexual congress in a cemetery and later sits in a bath of blood?  Or perhaps I've missed some other horror being inflicted since?

39 minutes ago, bangorballetboy said:

I think they may now have stopped the tap that dripped (audibly) for an entire scene but I still wouldn't go to this production again if you paid me vast sums of money.

Oh dear.  

An annoying split stage throughout that totally diminishes the tension and, if you're sitting or standing to one side of the auditorium, makes it very difficult to see what's going on in the other half of the stage. Iirc, Lucia's madness is put down to a miscarriage, but at least it retains the Victorian Gothic so despite its flaws its not the worst I've seen at the ROH..

• Like 1

I think you saw it 2017 Sim (the revival so no dripping tap):

Posted November 3, 2017

Gosh I just loved the performance last night.  I think Lisette Oropesa is sensational and will go very far.  Her vocal range is gorgeous, her coloratura incredibly accomplished, and she can act.  

I also really liked the production.  I didn't see it last time around, so the more controversial bits seemed to be excised, but I thought it was very clever to split each scene in two so that we could see what was actually happening behind the scenes (e.g. the murder of Arturo).   I usually prefer to use my imagination in these situations, but I thought this worked really well.  

The friend I was with was very disappointed that they have excised the sex scene in Act 1.  She said it wasn't for the lack of a sex scene;   she had simply been in awe last time at how both singers had been able to sing beautifully whilst in strange positions.....that is why she was fascinated by it.  Does anyone know whether this scene was cut for artistic reasons or whether it is because this cast couldn't perform the duet whilst simulating sex?  Dramatically, I guess it would make it very clear why Lucia is pregnant for the rest of the opera......but as I said to my friend, now we just have to assume that they have been sleeping together!  She was very happy, on the other hand, because they have turned off the water in the final scene!!  

A real shame that I will only get to see this once, but I am very pleased and grateful that I at least got the chance to see Lisette.  Next time she sings here, I will dash to get a ticket.

Apologies - I couldn’t copy the link to the 2017 thread in Opera & Music.

ROH Lucia di Lammermoor

FOR SALE

By Carol
October 30, 2017 in Opera & Music

I was hugely impressed and am seeing the General Rehearsal and a performance this run.

• Like 1

I like Katie Mitchell's other work but unfortunately I don't think her ideas for this opera worked so well. I think everyone else has mentioned the flaws/problems with the staging (and old reviews from the broadsheets will fill you in as well). 

It's not a terribly attractive production (I have no idea how Diana Damrau got persuaded to do the first run but interesting that she has declined to reprise it although her voice still suits the role.) 

Lucia di Lammermoor has beautiful and demanding writing for voices especially the lead soprano (as you know, Sim) and just doesn't suit a production where a split screen, blood and gore, etc are distracting, and they make it harder for the notes and singing to come across. I also found the miscarriage idea backward instead of being feminist.

I'd say it's one of those productions you only watch if you have no other opportunity at any time to see a favourite singer so you endure the production just to be able to see that singer on stage. Sorry Ms Mitchell, but this was an expensive and disastrous mistake that wasted some very good singers. (Glad I managed to see Damrau and Lisette Oropesa on other occasions- and wish we could have a nicer production for future casts). 

Sorry not to be more optimistic, Sim! (But from your past preferences and likes/dislikes you've written about I would be surprised if you enjoyed this production. Only advise going if you are desperate to catch one or more of the singers in absolutely anything.) 

OK, @JohnS and I posted at the same time and I'm quite surprised (having searched and found the thread that JohnS unearthed) that @Sim went in 2017, posted that she liked it, and forgot!  Maybe I was wrong in guessing what you'd like, Sim- sorry! - but interesting that the production seemed forgettable? Nadine Sierra and Liv Redpath- both lovely singers - taking the role of Lucia this time round. It's interesting that Oropesa hasn't returned for this production either and she's normally quite adventurous about strange stagings! 

Edited by Emeralds

Thanks @JohnS for reminding me that I am getting old and my memory is shot (!).... and everyone else for your comments and advice.  I do remember having seen Lucia in the past 10 years, but didn't realise it was this one, although when MAB mentioned sex in a cemetery something started to resonate!   OK, so since I liked it last time I will try again.  It's an SCS ticket so not much to lose.  I remember the previous version, with (I think)  a Russian soprano, and the mad scene was set with a moonlit lake in the background.  She sang most of it lying down.  She was wonderful and brought the house down.  I wish I could remember who it was....but I certainly remember the production.  

I knew I’d posted something praising the revival and I think it was the first time I’d realised there was such an interesting opera section on BalletcoForum. Seeing Lucia rather restored my faith in opera having been so spoiled in the 30 plus years to 2004 and a move to Cumbria. It’s been good to see further productions since Lucia, some very impressive, others not albeit invariably reaching musical highs.

35 minutes ago, Sim said:

Thanks @JohnS for reminding me that I am getting old and my memory is shot (!).... and everyone else for your comments and advice.  I do remember having seen Lucia in the past 10 years, but didn't realise it was this one, although when MAB mentioned sex in a cemetery something started to resonate!   OK, so since I liked it last time I will try again.  It's an SCS ticket so not much to lose.  I remember the previous version, with (I think)  a Russian soprano, and the mad scene was set with a moonlit lake in the background.  She sang most of it lying down.  She was wonderful and brought the house down.  I wish I could remember who it was....but I certainly remember the production.  

Was it Edita Gruberova in Franco Zeffirelli's production in 1988? (According to the ROH database). There was a 2003 production by Christof Loy (who just did the new Elektra staging) but the Lucias were Andrea Rost (Hungarian) and Liping Zhang (Chinese) so I assume you meant the production before the 2003 staging. I haven't seen the Zeffirelli staging, unfortunately. 

Edited by Emeralds

As regards the KKKatie production, it gets improved every time it is done. We aren’t the only people who didn’t like what it started out as.

The key is the voices, and I don’t know the ones in this upcoming run. But I have booked for the General, to see what I think. 

• Like 1

I've only seen it once - with Oropesa, who was indeed sensational - and I thought it made sense as a concept. It might have helped that I could hardly see it (I was Lower Slips extreme side and as usual KM didn't concern herself with audience sightlines). Having said that the bathroom was giving me interior decoration ideas so I must have been able to see something!

I believe some of the staging was toned down from the first run, when IIRC Damrau got mixed reviews (my view of her in general is that she's competent but it's not a beautiful noise, unlike Oropesa - so I'm not sure Lucia as good a fit as all that for her). I wouldn't read anything into Oropesa not returning as she's in great demand everywhere and aggressively building her repertoire so doesn't seem to be repeating roles much anywhere.

If you're seeing Nadine Sierra it should be worth it for her alone, or so I'm led to believe. I don't know anything about Liv Redpath.

• Like 3

7 hours ago, bangorballetboy said:

I think they may now have stopped the tap that dripped (audibly) for an entire scene but I still wouldn't go to this production again if you paid me vast sums of money.

I she still miscarrying throughout and clutching her blood stained nightdress? 

Ha ha Mary I just did that to myself regarding Onegin!! 
I could have sworn I hadn’t seen it since 2015 and said as much on Forum and that I loved Onegin ….….but then saw my comments for 2020!! And that I didn’t really like the character of Onegin!! I do like the ballet as a whole though! 

Usually only read this section of the Forum but couldn’t resist commenting when saw your post Mary! 

7 hours ago, LinMM said:

Ha ha Mary I just did that to myself regarding Onegin!! 
I could have sworn I hadn’t seen it since 2015 and said as much on Forum and that I loved Onegin ….….but then saw my comments for 2020!! And that I didn’t really like the character of Onegin!! I do like the ballet as a whole though! 

Usually only read this section of the Forum but couldn’t resist commenting when saw your post Mary! 

Are you talking about the ballet or the opera? I referred colloquially to “Onegin” recently but meaning the opera, not the ballet, as this is the opera section. Apologies if this has caused confusion. 

Edited by Geoff

No sorry Geoff completely off topic so referring to Ballet 🙄
Me causing confusion not you!!

Somebody had asked when the Ballet was last shown and I replied fairly confidently in 2015… then I discovered it was in 2020 and I’d actually been then and commented on Forum…..completely forgotten! 
Just sympathising with Mary’s comment above. 

Edited by LinMM
  • Like 2